The Avengers

indyclone25

just got back from the seeing the Avengers, wow, great film! i don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen , but call me a comic book nerd , but i teared up a bit in one scene. great movie , Bring on Thanos!!!!!

Joe Brody

Four things I like about the Avengers:
1. This weekend's box office.
2. Marvel threading the overall storyline through the prior movies. Usually the returns on sequels get smaller and smaller -- but here Marvel intentionally released smaller relatated films to build to the big one. Those smaller films will likely now have a nice pick up in sales because a lot of the people who passed on buying Captain America, Thor and Hulk DVD's will now have an urge to go back and buy them. Plus I bet there's going to be a really nice box set in all this.
3. (like everyone) The bonus scenes.
4. The first scene with Black Widow. A lot of (unwilling) women got dragged to this film and Wheldon won them over early by giving Scarlett early quality screen time and a clever play on the haggard-career-woman-getting-harangued-from-home. From that point, the women in the audience could relax because someone feels their pain.

Overall, a sloppy film but it had some smarts and good laughs.

looking at going to see it tomorrow...but im looking at the showtimes...
3x as many showtimes for 3D?!

F*ck 3D
tumblr_lwjnigPR9g1r6k4djo1_400.jpg

indyclone25

featofstrength said:
looking at going to see it tomorrow...but im looking at the showtimes...
3x as many showtimes for 3D?!

F*ck 3D
tumblr_lwjnigPR9g1r6k4djo1_400.jpg
the 3-d wasn't to bad , better than some of the last films i have seen , nothing real pops out at you , but the character in front looks closer and the character in the background looks farther , so it works .

Dr. Gonzo

So a former employer took me to a screening at the El Capitan...

I don't really know the Marvel universe that well. I know The X-Men. I know. Spiderman. I knew a few in the film. I have only seen that first Iron Man film.

I really had no expectation. Over all I thought it entertaining. Good popcorn fare. I may have fallen in love with Scarlett Johansson. Please see below:
picture.php

The one thing I could really tell though was Joss Whedon's hand in the writing. It really read like one of his other films, Serenity came to mind a lot. And I think that will be the deciding factor for those who are thinking about seeing this film. If you like Joss, go see it. Not so much? Skip it.

I think he was only able to handle this because it's an ensemble piece. I don't think Joss' attempts would have been as fruitful say if he were writing a Batman or Spiderman film. I could see him doing really well with the X-Men maybe.

So in conclusion. It was fun. Nothing worth screaming about. I'm just really looking forward to Prometheus this summer.

Oh and Scarlett if you're out there, I love you and will you marry me?

At least dinner? :eek:

saw the Avengers yesterday...it was pretty fun, at least in the action and getting caught up in seeing childhood faves duke it out.

it was a bit long, a few wiggle spots in the helicarrier scenes early on. Sorry, ScarJo/Hawkeye(didnt know Daniel Craig had an equally haggard looking brother?) scenes meant nothing to me...anytime the big heroes were offscreen i got a lil bored.

Loki tricked by ScarJo's "acting?" uh huh...

not sure i buy Coulson being the push that gets the team in the action... i mean, i get that the audience has come connection to him because he was in the other movies, but the heroes statedly didnt know him very well. they might as well have killed off and got sappy over Galaga guy.

Harry Dean Stanton...cool! Hey, and a Growing Pains kid! Powers Booth! Soundgarden!

like stated by many before, not sure i buy Hulk's control from one scene to the next...yaknow, from beating on the heroes to becoming team player. but thats a minor gripe because this was the best movie Hulk so far!

Captain America was far more interesting in this movie than he was in his own film...though im not sure why he's the only one who got a very brief flashback summary of his emotional baggage, especially since they didnt deal with it in either movie.

Thor was a bit aloof...shouldnt he have enjoyed fighting a bit more?

I look forward to the big baddie reveal in the sequel...though we've got a loooong way to go, since the Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer need to be rebooted first and need to be involved. Hope Spidey isnt too busy whining over his parent mystery to join in the fun!

PS- saw it in 2D with a full audience at 3pm on a tues afternoon. I refuse to pay for crappy 3D. Even when the theatres have 3x as many showtimes in 3D and limit the 2D showings...I will go out of my way to avoid it.

indyclone25

featofstrength said:
saw the Avengers yesterday...it was pretty fun, at least in the action and getting caught up in seeing childhood faves duke it out.

it was a bit long, a few wiggle spots in the helicarrier scenes early on. Sorry, ScarJo/Hawkeye(didnt know Daniel Craig had an equally haggard looking brother?) scenes meant nothing to me...anytime the big heroes were offscreen i got a lil bored.

Loki tricked by ScarJo's "acting?" uh huh...

not sure i buy Coulson being the push that gets the team in the action... i mean, i get that the audience has come connection to him because he was in the other movies, but the heroes statedly didnt know him very well. they might as well have killed off and got sappy over Galaga guy.

Harry Dean Stanton...cool! Hey, and a Growing Pains kid! Powers Booth! Soundgarden!

like stated by many before, not sure i buy Hulk's control from one scene to the next...yaknow, from beating on the heroes to becoming team player. but thats a minor gripe because this was the best movie Hulk so far!

Captain America was far more interesting in this movie than he was in his own film...though im not sure why he's the only one who got a very brief flashback summary of his emotional baggage, especially since they didnt deal with it in either movie.

Thor was a bit aloof...shouldnt he have enjoyed fighting a bit more?

I look forward to the big baddie reveal in the sequel...though we've got a loooong way to go, since the Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer need to be rebooted first and need to be involved. Hope Spidey isnt too busy whining over his parent mystery to join in the fun!

PS- saw it in 2D with a full audience at 3pm on a tues afternoon. I refuse to pay for crappy 3D. Even when the theatres have 3x as many showtimes in 3D and limit the 2D showings...I will go out of my way to avoid it.
yeah, wouldn't it be nice if sony gets brought into the marvel universe and nick fury comes to visit spidey at the end of the "amazing spiderman?"

kongisking

I saw it opening night, and I know of a single word to sum up the experience, were I forced to use one word and one word only:

Awesometacular.

Being a Marvel geek, this film made my nerd pleasure-receptors self-destruct from overload. I was like a little kid watching The Avengers. It was far and away one of the greatest experiences of my geeky life.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE! :D

Deadlock

Joe Brody said:
Four things I like about the Avengers:
1. This weekend's box office.
2. Marvel threading the overall storyline through the prior movies. Usually the returns on sequels get smaller and smaller -- but here Marvel intentionally released smaller relatated films to build to the big one. Those smaller films will likely now have a nice pick up in sales because a lot of the people who passed on buying Captain America, Thor and Hulk DVD's will now have an urge to go back and buy them. Plus I bet there's going to be a really nice box set in all this.
3. (like everyone) The bonus scenes.
4. The first scene with Black Widow. A lot of (unwilling) women got dragged to this film and Wheldon won them over early by giving Scarlett early quality screen time and a clever play on the haggard-career-woman-getting-harangued-from-home. From that point, the women in the audience could relax because someone feels their pain.

Overall, a sloppy film but it had some smarts and good laughs.

Since I didn't have anything else to do tonight, I took your advice and went.

And...

I enjoyed it, despite my prejudices. :p

(And you're dead on about the Black Widow bit. That was easily the best -highest quality - scene in the movie.)

I'll liken the film to Iron Man's suit. Mechanically, I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually work, but when it's doing it's thing... who cares? :)

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
I enjoyed it, despite my prejudices. :p

I'm glad -- now brace yourself for the (at least) four other Disney/Marvel films that have been green-lit and are in production. The Superhero box office dominance has gotta end some time, and my hope is that the first crack we'll see is Amazing Spiderman disappointing this July (and part of me wants to see Batman disappoint as well).

Deadlock said:
(And you're dead on about the Black Widow bit. That was easily the best -highest quality - scene in the movie.)

I've said it before but I'm hot and cold on Johansson but whatever she's got was working for me in this film.

Deadlock said:
I'll liken the film to Iron Man's suit. Mechanically, I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually work, but when it's doing it's thing... who cares? :)

Exactly. The real laughs at the end of this film override the memories of some of the slop that came before [like (i) the opening scene with Loki getting the sceptre, (ii) Nick Fury talking to the talking heads scenes, (iii) the close-up on Gwyneth Paltrow, (iv) the Transformers carbon copy climatic battle, and (v) much of the Avengers talking in the middle part of the film about Loki's plans].

Deadlock

Joe Brody said:
I'm glad -- now brace yourself for the (at least) four other Disney/Marvel films that have been green-lit and are in production. The Superhero box office dominance has gotta end some time, and my hope is that the first crack we'll see is Amazing Spiderman disappointing this July (and part of me wants to see Batman disappoint as well).

As we discussed earlier, comic books themselves have very little in the way of meaningful progress or continuity. Whether it's for commercial purposes or somehow is innate to the medium, the nature of the comic book is to get crazy, crazy, crazy then push "reset". Origin stories are all anyone can agree on. Every generation of comic-related artists gets to make up at least one middle and end (Death of Superman, Batman Knightfall, Death of Captain America, etc., etc.), though they are usually obliged to intergrate characters and concepts from previous iterations. Thus I would argue that the ceaseless restarting, rebooting, rehashing in comic book movies is perhaps more appropos than the same trend in film and TV.

I don't know what it'll take to end the dominance of the comic book movie. Marvel's been spraying the market on full auto for years. If Daredevil and Elektra movies can't kill this trend... what hope is there??? ;)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Deadlock said:
I don't know what it'll take to end the dominance of the comic book movie. Marvel's been spraying the market on full auto for years. If Daredevil and Elektra movies can't kill this trend... what hope is there??? ;)

Well, even All My Children and One Life to Live ended after 4 decades...there's hope yet for the geek/nerd soap operas...

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
... what hope is there??? ;)

Well there's only one Twilight movie left . . . . So I will have to get back to you.

And speaking of crazy & crazier, there's still some limitations in film. Notably the X-Men rebooted instead of first going out into space and fighting aliens.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
TheRaider's favorite artists - Avengers print

I know it's not Indy related - but Paul Shipper hit this out of the park!

It's an Avengers print he will have at ComiCONN in August

Avengers_ComiConnEXCL-1.jpg

Deadlock

Joe Brody said:
And speaking of crazy & crazier, there's still some limitations in film. Notably the X-Men rebooted instead of first going out into space and fighting aliens.

Dude, because the grand master Marvel plan called for that to be left to the Avengers. :p

Le Saboteur

Deadlock said:
...(Death of Superman, Batman Knightfall, Death of Captain America, etc., etc.)

Except that Batman didn't die in Knightfall. I'll say no more though on the off chance it happens to influence the events of The Dark Knight Rises and/or haven't read the graphic novels. Yes, plural. The story-arc took place over a calendar year.

Deadlock said:
As we discussed earlier, comic books themselves have very little in the way of meaningful progress or continuity. Whether it's for commercial purposes or somehow is innate to the medium, the nature of the comic book is to get crazy, crazy, crazy then push "reset".

There's a certain measure of truth to this, but the same could be said for anything that's been constantly in print for seventy-odd years ala Batman. Both Spider Man and the X-Men have been around for fifty years now. Heck, Tarzan became a spy(!) in World War I and that was only after seven years after his inception!

You'd be wrong though about the lack of meaningful continuity or progress, though. The aforementioned Knightfall story arc presented a series of long lasting repercussions to the Batman universe. Spider Man has progressed fairly steadily from a shy, nerdy kid to a freelance photographer, and a married man with family responsibilities.

These are only a couple of examples, but in a medium that spans nearly every genre imaginable, there are stories that pack quite the visceral impact. They, like any good story, know that must come to an end lest they overstay their welcome.

0007fz13

So, saw it. Dug it. It hit all the right notes for what I expected from an Avengers film -- the establishing shots of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s hellicarrier were particularly exciting. The inclusion of Maria Hill was also a very nice touch.

maria-hill-widescreen.jpg

Like a lot of people I was initially suspicious of Mark Ruffalo being cast as Dr. Bruce Banner, but he did exceptionally well in the limited screen time he had before "the other guy" stole the show. I'd like to see a full movie with Ruffalo as Dr. Banner/The Hulk.

The polar opposites of the Marvel Universe played off each other exceptionally well, and should lead to some excellent showdowns further on should they continue on the path the movies seem to be headed.

I'd watch a full-length movie about Black Widow, but not sure what the future holds for her or Hawkeye. Though, she did make her first appearance in the Amazing Spider Man! There's always a possibility she could bring in your friendly neighborhood web-slinger!

Bring on the Infinity Gauntlet! Bring on Cosmic Spider Man! But let's get Doctor Strange into the picture posthaste.

733709-golden_dr._strange_super.jpg