What happened to Barnett College?

Skipper

According to the official Indiana Jones website, Indy moved from Marshall to Barnett in 1937. Did he move back to Marshall at some point, or are we just supposed to forget that he ever left? (My apologies if this has already been discussed).

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I guess because they shot somewhere else in Crusade, they changed it. But now they've noted the similarities between Yale and UOP and moved him back.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, I'm by no means a continuity freak, but this seems to suggest a bit of sloppiness unless there's a reason for it. Of course, this is partly my sentimental feelings about Barnett College from the old Last Crusade graphic adventure.

If they don't offer any explanation, I'll explain it away as Indy having been a visiting professor at Barnett College. That would be reasonable enough.

Finn

Staff member
Since when have people worked in same place for all their life? First you teach in one place, then you get a job in other, then you get back to teaching in the place you were before. Why do we need an explanation more complicated than that?

Also, Indy had his own study (and TA) in LC. Is that usual for professors who are just visiting?

And oh yeah, he was still at Barnett in FoA (which takes place a year after LC and is very much canon). So much for "visiting professor" theory.

Skipper

Finn said:
Since when have people worked in same place for all their life? First you teach in one place, then you get a job in other, then you get back to teaching in the place you were before. Why do we need an explanation more complicated than that?
I think it's pretty rare for a professor to leave a school and then come back later (unless it's a "visiting" professor situation).

seasider

It's actually not that uncommon at the colleges I've been at. A professor will sometimes leave for a variety of reasons for another institution and then either apply to be reinstated at the old school or the administration will beg him to return which is probably what happened with Dr. Jones. Maybe Marcus Brody died and he chose to return to Marshall to carry on his work or something like that.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Did Barnett stick him in the narrow boiler room with all the archaeology department's worthless finds, or was the stuff on the shelves what Indy had found over the previous year? (In the adventure games set at Barnett, Indy could look around his office and reminisce, so did he haul all 'his' loot over from Marshall?)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Finn said:

Also, Indy had his own study (and TA) in LC. Is that usual for professors who are just visiting?

And oh yeah, he was still at Barnett in FoA (which takes place a year after LC and is very much canon). So much for "visiting professor" theory.

Good point on his office and the TA, and, I suppose, for FoA, as entirely slipped my mind during my initial post that Barnett was the college in the game.

I suppose one thing that has slipped my mind lately in a number of posts about how Indy isn't the model professor, since he's constantly traveling around the world at a moment's notice, is that he is apparently world-renowned, with Chatter Lal being the most obvious example of this. Taking this in mind, Dr. Jones would be quite a get as a rock star professor, and Barnett conceivably was able to make Indy an offer that he found appealing, including a huge office.

FoA places Barnett as somewhere near Syracuse, New York (http://www.gameology.org/screenshots/indiana_jones_map), so that distance from the big city, and, for that matter, his father post-reconciliation, who as far as we know lived in Princeton, makes a return to the NYC area easily conceivable. And hence re-enters Marshall College, conveniently located in Connecticut and eager to rehire a professor with some star power, despite occasional dereliction of his duty.

Niteshade007

Finn said:

Attila the Professor said:
Good point on his office and the TA...
I suppose one thing that has slipped my mind lately in a number of posts about how Indy isn't the model professor, since he's constantly traveling around the world at a moment's notice, is that he is apparently world-renowned, with Chatter Lal being the most obvious example of this. Taking this in mind, Dr. Jones would be quite a get as a rock star professor, and Barnett conceivably was able to make Indy an offer that he found appealing, including a huge office.

At my school, Burt Reynolds comes and teaches the film students for a couple weeks at the beginning of the semester. They give him an office, a TA, and a parking space close the school (something they don't give teachers who work there year round). Now, this may be just because he is Burt Reynolds and he went to our school (didn't graduate from there, but he did go there), and the film school feels lucky to be able to get him, but if that is the case, then I suppose that is conceivable, if Indy does have "rock star status" around the world, that a school would give him an office and a TA even if he was teaching there only for a brief time.

I post all this, and I just realized how little I cared about what college he teaches at. I didn't even know he was at two different schools in Raiders and Last Crusade.

Joe Brody

I always thought it was Marcus Brody's fault that caused Indy to leave Barnett -- something to do with a young co-ed that caught Brody's eye one day.

[Where's that screenshot?]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
I always thought it was Marcus Brody's fault that caused Indy to leave Barnett -- something to do with a young co-ed that caught Brody's eye one day.

[Where's that screenshot?]

Don't know where the screenshot might be, but that was back in the Marshall College days of Raiders.

Sankara

Who said that Indy moved from College to College? The official Site? Wow - the official Site said that Indy was married with Deidree too... *LOL*

Or that Indy fights against Vampires.... *LOL*

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Sankara said:
Who said that Indy moved from College to College? The official Site? Wow - the official Site said that Indy was married with Deidree too... *LOL*

Or that Indy fights against Vampires.... *LOL*

The official site, while pretty clearly supporting canon, is not anybody's initial source. We've known they were two different colleges for quite some time now.

Finn

Staff member
Attila the Professor said:
The official site, while pretty clearly supporting canon, is not anybody's initial source. We've known they were two different colleges for quite some time now.
Yeah, like since, 1989?