Angels and Demons

Goonie

Ska said:
"The Lost Symbol", eh?

Cannot wait for September to read this.

Yup, Fall '09 is going to be good reading. We get a new Dan Brown book and a new Michael Crichton book.(y)

The Man

TV Spots...

No. 7
<object width="450" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/10579"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/10579" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="300"></embed></object>​

Perhilion

Goonie said:
Yup, Fall '09 is going to be good reading. We get a new Dan Brown book and a new Michael Crichton book.(y)
A new Crichton book?? I didn't know he finished it. Well, looking forward to both :D
Also, as for Angels and Demons, it seems the only people giving it bad reviews are in the UK...

Finn

Staff member
Let's see if Brown's third Langdon book is going to contain these same elements as the previous two...

A damsel in distress with a recently died daddy.

A freak killer.

As an ending "twist", their most useful ally turns out to be the main bad guy.

I mean, apart from the location and MacGuffin, the guy technically released same novel twice.

WilliamBoyd8

Let's see if Brown's third Langdon book is going to contain these same elements as the previous two...

And a villian who is a polio survivor.

AndyLGR

Finn said:

A damsel in distress with a recently died daddy.

A freak killer.

As an ending "twist", their most useful ally turns out to be the main bad guy.

I mean, apart from the location and MacGuffin, the guy technically released same novel twice.
I think all 4 of his book follow a very similar theme. But theres no denying that they make for great reading, they are very fast paced thrillers I think.

I still think that out of the 2 Langdon novels that Angels is the easiest to convert to cinema, my fear is that it will suffer at the box office as a result of the disappointing Da Vinci movie. Although I can see why Da Vinci was made first, its huge sales virtually guaranteed box office success.

Finn

Staff member
Note that I never said I didn't enjoy them... I've just noticed that they are very formulaic.

Remember the scene in Last Crusade, where Indy is in Venice and finds the entrance to the catacombs by smashing through the library floor?

Imagine that scene, with darker cinematography and more ominous music, repeated for more than two hours and you?ve got the bulk of ?Angels & Demons.?

Ska

It's very true that A&D is quite identical to DaVinci Code.

I'm going to see A&D on Sunday.

Wow Angels and Demons looks good.
Did anyone See the guy who plays Obi-Wan yesterday on GMA? and Regis and Kelly? And did anyone see Tom Hanks and Ron Howard and the Actress?

Rhys135

Saw this Friday night. Pretty average. The first half drags on but the second half is very thrilling and has some spectacular moments. If I had not read the book I think I would of loved it, but knowing the story and how certain events unfold I was disappointed. Also, not a film you watch for the acting. Has to be Hank's worst performance, but the character of Langdon in this sequel/prequel is more 'hands on' he was in DaVinci so I suppose that could be a factor, yet he's still very watchable.

Also, did anyone else notice something in the background at the Vatican Archives which looked a bit like the Ark of the Covenant, or did I just imagine it? :p

Lonsome Indy

really? i thought Hanks did very well this time around. he seemed more comfortable. Ewan was great too. in fact this whole movie was better than Da Vinci Code but that's mainly because Angels and Demons is an easier novel to convert to film.

AndyLGR

I saw the movie tonight and I really enjoyed it. Definitely this book lends itelf to being adapted to the screen better than the Da Vinci Code. This film is more of a straight up thriller than the DA Vinci Code which I think is more of a page turning puzzle story that when translated to film was a bit boring.

A&D the movie is much more fast paced than the book and was made even more so by the cutting of a lot of the unnecessary CERN scenes in the first part of the book. Also the cutting of the head of CERN , the guy in the wheelchair made the whole thing a much more easy film to follow and streamlined it. Especially when it got to the end.

The performances were good, Tom Hanks seemed confortable in this movie and Ewan Mcgregor, who I expected to be poor, was good too as the Camerlengo.

I find the whole secret world of the Vatican, hidden archives, underground chambers, their protocols etc to be interesting and the settings of the movie were excellent and reflected the book perfectly.

Morning Bell

I haven't read any of the books or seen the first film but I saw this with friends a few nights ago and thought it was awful. It was dull, overlong, and lacked any real sense of tension or purpose; in fact, it felt like a poor man's Indiana Jones, except without any of the fun.(n)