Find Your Fate

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
From what I read here the Indy series were aimed at a younger audience than the FF?
I've never read "Fighting Fantasy" but, like Henry W said, these Indy books were for 7-8 year olds. I bought the 1st one when it came out and I was 17!:eek: Had a read or two and never bothered getting the rest of the series. Now I want them all. Ironic, eh?
Rocket Surgeon said:
I've been searching the libraries for these...to STEAL THEM!!!!

No really, they should reprint these!
I agree but would prefer having the originals. At least 4 of them were reprinted in 1994.

01 Curse of Horror Island
03 Giants of the Sliver Tower
07 Cult of the Mummy's Crypt
16 Apes Slaves of Howling Island

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
I've never read "Fighting Fantasy" but, like Henry W said, these Indy books were for 7-8 year olds. I bought the 1st one when it came out and I was 17!:eek: Had a read or two and never bothered getting the rest of the series. Now I want them all. Ironic, eh?
I agree but would prefer having the originals. At least 4 of them were reprinted in 1994.

01 Curse of Horror Island
03 Giants of the Sliver Tower
07 Cult of the Mummy's Crypt
16 Apes Slaves of Howling Island

As far as a collectible I would love to own them again to. I had to spend lots of $$$ to replace lots of stuff I thought I outgrew then realized I should have kept the firecrackers and bb guns away from. Live and learn

IndyBr

They look great in my collection, it's a nice addition and all, but man... Indy comunicating with Apes and telling then that if they helped him they could go play outside... that hurt! (n)

Oddly, there's a sentece in the Ape Slaves books that fits nicely with what has been told us in the Young Indy tv series:

Indy chuckles. "Well... I've always been good with languages. When I was in Kenya with Dr. Ravensworth a few summers ago, I learned a little ape. Sort of picked it up naturally, you might say."

But in the other hand... there is one book where he can't understand Italian.

And I thinkthat in Curse of the Horror Island he goes to a dig started by his former professor: Abner Ravenwood. ;)

Stoo

IndyBr said:
Indy comunicating with Apes and telling then that if they helped him they could go play outside... that hurt! (n)

Indy chuckles. "Well... I've always been good with languages. When I was in Kenya with Dr. Ravensworth a few summers ago, I learned a little ape. Sort of picked it up naturally, you might say."
Ha!:D That is hilarious, IndyBr. Please, you must add it to this thread: Indy's languages

Last edited:
I couldn't believe it at first when I found a hard copy of The Curse of Horror Island!

Anyone know if any of the others came out in hardcover?

indyclone25

i'm sure they must have released them in hardcover at one point for either libraries or for schools , that is why the book was hardcover i would love a few of those in my collection.:D

Ska

I believe I have at lease one hardcover (that I found at yard sales, library clean-outs, etc). I'll check when I get home.

I'm pretty sure I own:
#2 The Lost Treasure of Sheba (softcover), original print
#4 Eye of the Fates (hardcover), original print
#7 Cult of the Mummy's Crypt (softcover), reprint

Last edited:

Stoo

IndyBr said:
But the covers are all quite nice.
In my opinion, most of the covers aren't very good. (A couple of years before these books came out, "Starlog" magazine did an article on the artist, David Mattingly. Did you know that his dad invented the Waterpik?)
Rocket Surgeon said:
I couldn't believe it at first when I found a hard copy of The Curse of Horror Island!
Ska said:
#4 Eye of the Fates (hardcover), original print
Hardcovers? That's news! Like Indyclone suggested, maybe they were intended for libraries?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Hardcovers? That's news! Like Indyclone suggested, maybe they were intended for libraries?

While it's certainly news to me too, I think only Ska's post is evidence in that direction; Rocket's "hard copy" would simply seem to mean that it is a physically existing copy, not one that has a hard cover.

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
While it's certainly news to me too, I think only Ska's post is evidence in that direction; Rocket's "hard copy" would simply seem to mean that it is a physically existing copy, not one that has a hard cover.
Rocket must have found a hardcover because of the question he asked:
Rocket Surgeon said:
Anyone know if any of the others came out in hardcover?

whipwarrior

I still have the whole Find Your Fate series from when I was a kid! In fact, Eye of the Fates was the first Indiana Jones book that I ever bought. Picked it up at the school book fair in 1986, and my parents ordered the rest of the series for me using the order form in the back. So I got the whole set in one bundle, and I literally read the covers off of them!

But the hardback editions were even cooler. I remember that our school library (at Hahn Elementary School, in Germany) had the Indy series in hardback, and I would borrow them relentlessly because of how cool it was to tote them around in my backpack all the time (even though I already had the whole series in paperback at home). I *still* wish I owned the hardbacks, with the glossy covers and cardboard binding. I really did want to keep them, but I was too honest to steal them. Damned juvenile integrity. :mad:

Some of the cover art was better than others and, let's face it, as a kid I wasn't very discriminating even though I could see that some of the portraits resembled Harrison Ford better than others. My favorite cover was Mask of the Elephant, which contained a description of Indiana Jones that is suitable for one of the adult Indy novels by MacGregor or McCoy:

What a joke he was on the boat! Round-rimmed glasses, brown suits during the day, white tux at night. The rumors said he was a college professor, and he sure looked the part?until the boat docked. Suddenly the glasses were gone and so were the brown suits. With that beat-up brown felt hat, safari jacket, pistol at his side and whip around his shoulder, he looked like he was ready to give the jungle the only kind of lecture it understood.

As a writer, it's one of those paragraphs that's so good I wish I'd written it myself! :whip:

Ska

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'll post a pic of the hardcover later....

As will I if I remember to do so when I'm at home.

I remember mine being white on the spine and for a border around the image on the front and back.

IndyBr

Mine are all paperback.
I would love to have then in hardcover! (y)
Maybe I should look around in the internet for it.

whipwarrior

Yes, the covers were printed on very thin paper, laminated onto the white hardback stock, and the titles on the spine were the plain red text of the First Edition printings. The Indy logo spines were introduced on the reprints (as most of my books are). Sometimes you can find copies in very good condition at used bookstores and on eBay (search 'Indiana Jones Find Your Fate', and there's a whole set going for an ungodly price).

Henry W Jones

whipwarrior said:
Yes, the covers were printed on very thin paper, laminated onto the white hardback stock, and the titles on the spine were the plain red text of the First Edition printings. The Indy logo spines were introduced on the reprints (as most of my books are). Sometimes you can find copies in very good condition at used bookstores and on eBay (search 'Indiana Jones Find Your Fate', and there's a whole set going for an ungodly price).

If you mean the $200 set it's missing some books and $200 for an incomplete set is ridiculous.

whipwarrior

No, the set is complete. Find Your Fate books 10-15 were James Bond stories, as I discovered when I wrote a letter to Ballantine Books about the mystery back in the mid-90's. I think the popularity of the Indy series waned after Temple of Doom was released, and then picked up again when production on Last Crusade was announced (Gold of Genghis Khan was published in 1985, while Ape Slaves and Mask of the Elephant hit bookstores in early 1987). So the set IS technically complete, but the seller's price is outrageous, even if they are all First Editions, with the rare collectible slipcase.

Henry W Jones

whipwarrior said:
No, the set is complete. Find Your Fate books 10-15 were James Bond stories, as I discovered when I wrote a letter to Ballantine Books about the mystery back in the mid-90's. I think the popularity of the Indy series waned after Temple of Doom was released, and then picked up again when production on Last Crusade was announced (Gold of Genghis Khan was published in 1985, while Ape Slaves and Mask of the Elephant hit bookstores in early 1987). So the set IS technically complete, but the seller's price is outrageous, even if they are all First Editions, with the rare collectible slipcase.

Good piece of info. And yes I agree that is still to steep a price to pay even if it is complete.