Lucasfilm Story Group

Stoo

Hi, Jason. With all due respect, a person shouldn't/can't disagree with blatant contradictions to what was established 40 years + 1 week ago. :)

Many of the problems in "Rogue One" cannot be refuted (even with the most convoluted explanations someone could think of). The 'Lucasfilm Story Group' who green-lighted that movie weren't qualified for the task because the story completely ignores key dialogue from the original film.

Hopefully, they'll restructure the group by the time Indy 5 rolls around.

Last edited:

Stoo

Double post. (There's too much on my mind. :D)

Wanted to add that some fans, even the smartest of them, might be simply oblivious to the problems because they're not thinking and too impressed by the images onscreen. Case in point: My own Star Wars buddy ever since the '70s. An extremely intelligent guy who actually LIKED "Rogue One" until I explained to him what was wrong with it...then he realized how crappy the story was because it doesn't connect.

The 'story group' for "Rogue One" was too concerned with little, nostalgic nods & winks to the general audience that it failed to correspond with the original source material.

Face_Melt

Stoo said:
Unanimous? No. :rolleyes: I've heard & read swathes of comments from plenty of people with the same complaints as mine. Folks who approve of the 2 new movies must be either 'fair-weather fans' or they just don't care about the problems.

John Knoll* co-wrote "Rogue One" and it was so disappointing to see such sh!t from someone whom I really admire. It's unbelievable how badly the story & other details are screwed up. I'd list its continuity mistakes in the appropriate thread...but it would be a lo-o-o-o-ng post.

*Co-creator of Adobe Photoshop and ILM Visual Effects Supervisor

The Force Awakens: Critic approval = 92%, Audience approval = 89%
Rogue One: Critic Approval = 85%, Audience approval = 89%

That's what the industry would call "universal acclaim". The vast vast majority of people enjoyed the films and think they were great. A small small minority of people think otherwise.
And yes, the films should be geared towards keeping the majority of people happy - not a minority.

They did an amazing job. If they do to Indy when they did to Star Wars - we are in for a real treat.

Stoo

Face_Palm said:
The Force Awakens: Critic approval = 92%, Audience approval = 89%
Rogue One: Critic Approval = 85%, Audience approval = 89%
"Unanimous" means 100%, right? :rolleyes:

From my own, personal experience:
15% - Approval from 1st Generation SW Fans: "Force Awakens"
02% - Approval from 1st Generation SW Fans: "Rogue One"

Face_Palm said:
If they do to Indy when they did to Star Wars - we are in for a real treat.
If the 'Lucasfilm Story Group' does to Indy what they did to "Star Wars", then we are in a for a real travesty. :eek:

JasonMa

Stoo said:
Many of the problems in "Rogue One" cannot be refuted (even with the most convoluted explanations someone could think of). The 'Lucasfilm Story Group' who green-lighted that movie weren't qualified for the task because the story completely ignores key dialogue from the original film.
I think you're far too concerned about continuity in a series that has already shot itself in the foot 5 or 6 times on that issue before either TFA or RO came out. The prequels and Clone Wars have continuity errors running rampant through them but, whatever, you can still make good movies even with that (not that they managed it with the prequels).

Face_Melt

Stoo said:
"Unanimous" means 100%, right? :rolleyes:

From my own, personal experience:
15% - Approval from 1st Generation SW Fans: "Force Awakens"
02% - Approval from 1st Generation SW Fans: "Rogue One"

If the 'Lucasfilm Story Group' does to Indy what they did to "Star Wars", then we are in a for a real travesty. :eek:

I never said unanimous. I said majority. They should appeal to the majority - which they did and satisfied.

Stoo

JasonMa said:
I think you're far too concerned about continuity in a series that has already shot itself in the foot 5 or 6 times on that issue before either TFA or RO came out. The prequels and Clone Wars have continuity errors running rampant through them but, whatever, you can still make good movies even with that (not that they managed it with the prequels).
I'm more concerned with a story which is supposed to lead directly into an iconic film. In this "Vanity Fair" interview, Kiri Hart states that the 'story group' tries to connect stuff...so it makes me wonder if any of them actually paid attention to the dialogue of the original film. Even the director has talked about how they strung together "things we'd like to see". Well, they sure did...without any logic.

What's really irksome is the attitude of 'Lucas-is-gone-now-things-will-be-done-right' from the typical Joe Schmoe. On its own, "Rogue One" is a mediocre sci-fi movie which made tonne$ of ca$h...however, it's NOT a good SW chapter. (n)

Do you really want this 'story group' overseeing Indiana Jones? :confused:

#3: Why is Abner learning about Tanis from Indy's little, kid friend?
#1: What? Who?
#3: That Japanese kid from Temple of Doom.
#2: Wasn't he Korean?
#1: How should I know? Who cares, anyway? He's a fun connection for fans.
#2: Abner could've learned about the Ark from the Flying Wing pilot.
#3: Who?!? What?!?
#2: From IJ & The Raiders of the Lost Ark. He could've met Abner when he was younger.
#1: Nobody remembers that guy. Let's stick with the Asian kid. Marketing insists.
#2: It should be the Indian kid.
#3: Who? What?
#1: Yes! That Indian kid from the 1st movie!
#2: Wasn't that the 2nd movie?
#3: 1st movie. The 2nd takes place later in the '40s or something.
#1: The latest script draught has the Indian kid as a girl.
#2: Great idea! No objections. Let's go ahead with it.
...and so on.

Face_Palm said:
I never said unanimous.
Be real, Face Palm. :rolleyes: A few hours ago in this very thread, you wrote:

"Ha! The Force Awakens and Rogue One were unanimously loved."

IndyForever

Spielberg will not work with the story group on Indy 5 that's pretty much a given as he likes absolute secrecy! And thank heavens for that Rogue One was marginally better than TFA but both movies were still very poor overall due to weak storylines & poorly written characters.

I would rather they cancelled Indy 5 than try to force the Disney agenda on the Ford franchise!!!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Even the Kasdans can't freely roam around the vault...
Lawrence: In 2012, Kathy [Kennedy] asked me to come up and meet with her and George. Because they were gonna reboot, there were gonna be more Star Wars movies. This is before Disney bought the franchise. And when I got there, they said, here we have nine ideas. And those were George’s ideas. And I said, well I’m not sure I wanna do this. I’ve really done a lot of Star Wars. And they said, but look, one of these is Han Solo. I said, well okay. I do love Han Solo. It was a page, sort of a very brief outline of where it could go. And I didn’t say that’s what I wanted to do. I said, the idea of doing a movie about Han is interesting to me. And three weeks later, Disney bought the whole thing. And George was really emeritus. And those, I don’t think those pages ever showed up again.

Jonathan: He had so much material that he developed over the years, there really is like a treasure trove of stuff that you can go back and one thing that we did have and we had in the room with us was a folder that contained an interview I think he’d done in 1980 or something with someone who worked in the organization where they just like asked him about Han’s past for like an hour. And you can see him just like making **** up as he went. And it’s got things in there that are great.

Q: Was that like that famous [Raiders Story Conference]?

Jonathan: Yes. That is the story group, yeah. But this was just him talking, expounding. It’s not as good as this, that meeting. But it was a lot of him just talking about what he thought it could be and he did that with everybody, his imagination was sort of boundless.