Castle Bran and the Legend of Dracula

IndyJr.

One day, I plan to put on my Indiana Jones outfit and go to Romania to Castle Bran and explore it. I'm still in the research process... I want to go to the castle that everyone's afraid to go in because of "spirits" and "ghosts" and whatnot. I want to explore it some day.

Is there any information on any of this that you guys could help me with?

"Is there any information on any of this that you guys could help me with?"
Well, the #1 piece of information I think you should have is that there's no such thing as ghosts, or spirits....

I don't doubt that the castle would be fun and informative to explore otherwise

IndyJr.

Well I must argue that there are spirits. The hollywood ghosts, with the white sheets over their heads are fake. But there are demon spirits in the world.

I do not beleive in the Count Dracula stories, but I do beleive demons could infest the place. I've had firsthand experience with demons and spirits. It's not laughing matter.

"there are demon spirits in the world"
Interesting supposition, but I'd need to see some pretty spectacular evidence to support such a wild claim.

If you have such evidence, (Doubtful in the extreme) James Randi has a million bucks with your name on it.

"It's not laughing matter."
I'm laughing, long and hard right now!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, Indy Jr., I have to admit that for as many times as I've seen people claiming firsthand experience with the supernatural, considering for the moment the simple confines of the Raven, I've never seen any evidence or even just a narrative recounting alleged experience.

If I came here and claimed that I could close my eyes and levitate my butt up outa this chair, I'd like to HOPE the people here would require WAY more evidence than my say-so.....

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I don't disagree, Clinton, but even that much would begin to suggest at the merest hint of evidence (bad evidence, in all likelihood, but nevertheless).

IndyJr.

Ok, first of all, Martians are proven to not exist. There's evidence and I could go over it. But yet there are proven viewings of UFO's in the sky. My theory is that it is demons festering the skies (as the Bible tells us, in the New Testiment). Now with the modern crowd it's easy to lead them astray, so satan uses his demons to "imitate" UFO's to make people beleive them...

this is my own opinion and I do not expect the rest of you to beleive it. The Bible speaks of the spiritual world... I do not beleive we are capable of levitating and such nonsense. We are simple humans. There are two worlds. The human world and the spiritual world. Inside the human world we exist as meer mortals. In the spiritual world live demons, angels and various spirits. I do beleive this.

Now I beleive in the Bible, which is rare on this site, I can assume, but it's my opinion and I'll leave it at that. ;)

There's a guy in the "Home" across the street who believes that Mickey Mouse sends codded messages to him through his Alphabit cereal... So that's what "belief" is good for....

"Martians are proven to not exist"
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot does that have to do with anything in this conversation?

"My theory is that it is demons festering the skies"
More likely it's geese, weather balloons, swamp gas and a host of other mundane explanations... At least there's evidence to support those.... I've never seen ANY evidence to support the existence of "demons", let alone evidence that THEY are responsible for UFO sitings...

"the Bible tells us"
Ya... well, what the "bible" says and $1.50 will get you a small cup of lousy coffee...

But you're welcome to your 'opinion'

whipem

The question isn't about whether Martians exist, it's whether they existed, etc....
As for myself, I don't believe in the supernatural, although I'd be extremely happy if any of it was proven. I'm not exactly looking forward to death and the eternal void that immediately follows, but I don't really have any say about it, do I? ;)

Indy fan 235

I really enjoyed the novel Dracula and always wanted to visit Transylvania. There is actually a "Dracula Tour" that goes there twice a year and takes you on the route Jonathan Harker took in the novel. You see where Vlad Tepes was born, is buried, and you visit the castle. I don't have the information with me at the moment, I am at work now, but I can post a link later if anyone is interested.

The tour is about Vlad Tepes the man.

And, to make an Indy connection here, does anyone else fondly remember the Find Your Fate Indy book with a vampire in it? What was that one called? Cup of teh Vampire?

adventure_al

there was a programme called mysterious journies on discovery knowledge the other week. i recorded it. it was all about the myths of dracula and what they were based on. did any one see it? it was very interesting.

Montana Smith

Dracula's Castle Up For Sale

By Steve Barton
April 25th, 2014

Yes, you read that headline correctly! Bran Castle in Translyvania, Romania, known for its ties to Vlad "The Impaler" Tepes, is now up for sale by the former royal family! Read on for details, and get that credit card ready!

According to NBC News, Romania?s former royal family put ?Dracula?s Castle? in Transylvania up for sale this past Monday, hoping to secure a buyer who will respect ?the property and its history,? a U.S.-based investment company said.

The Bran Castle, perched on a cliff near Brasov in mountainous central Romania, is a top tourist attraction because of its ties to Prince Vlad the Impaler, the warlord whose cruelty inspired Bram Stoker?s 1897 novel Dracula. Legend has it that Vlad, who earned his nickname because of the way he tortured his enemies, spent one night in the 1400s at the castle.

In May 2006, the castle was returned to Princess Ileana?s son, Archduke Dominic Habsburg. Habsburg, a 69-year-old New York architect, pledged to keep it open as a museum until 2009 and offered to sell the castle last year to local authorities for $80 million, but the offer was rejected.

On Monday he put the castle up for sale ?to the right purchaser under the right circumstances,? said Michael Gardner, chief executive of Baytree Capital, the company representing Habsburg. ?The Habsburgs are not in the business of managing a museum.?

No price was announced, though Gardner predicted the castle would sell for more than $135 million. He added that Habsburg will only sell it to a buyer ?who will treat the property and its history with appropriate respect.?

Habsburg said in a statement: ?Aside from the castle?s connection to one of the most famous novels ever written, Bran Castle is steeped in critical events of European history dating from the 14th century to the present.?

According to a contract signed when the castle was returned, the government pays rent to Habsburg to run the castle as a museum for three years, charging admission. After 2009 Habsburg will have full control of the castle, Gardner said.

The government has priority as a buyer if it can match the best offer for the castle, he added. Opposition lawmakers have claimed the government?s decision to return the castle to Habsburg was illegal because of procedural errors.

bran-castle-dracula.jpg

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/75547/draculas-castle-sale