Crystal Skull may be the first film in a new Indy trilogy (Vanity Fair speculates)

deckard24

sandiegojones said:
I'm not stating that you have to praise Lucas, but you are proving him right by talking trash on him before the movie is even out and giving him crap about "speculation" of a new Indy series with Shia (something Lucas has not stated is in the future plans). Shia was Speilberg's first choice according to what I have read. Harrison is Indy, I think Lucas clearly gets that otherwise he wouldn't have waited so long to make another one. He could have gotten a new actor if he were so inclined. Just get off his back. If KOTCS sucks then say what you want, but at least be fair until you see it is all I'm suggesting!
I really haven't talked crap about KotCS, I'm excited for it as well. Am I a little wary of how it will be... definitely! But, I think most here have mixed feelings of anticipation and trepidation concerning the film's final quality.

As for giving Lucas crap for a future series that isn't concrete, we are all here spectulating, and that is what this thread is all about! As for him saying more Indy films are not in his future plans...well... that's what he said about the SW prequels. The man is notorious for going back and tinkering, revising, and endlessly revisiting. I wouldn't put it past him to string the franchise along for more films. Am I grateful that he created the old SW world as well as the character of Indy...absolutely! But imo somewhere along the way, money and the advancement of movie technology took center stage for Lucas, and his work has suffered since!

sandiegojones

deckard24 said:
I really haven't talked crap about KotCS, I'm excited for it as well. Am I a little wary of how it will be... definitely! But, I think most here have mixed feelings of anticipation and trepidation concerning the film's final quality.

As for giving Lucas crap for a future series that isn't concrete, we are all here spectulating, and that is what this thread is all about! As for him saying more Indy films are not in his future plans...well... that's what he said about the SW prequels. The man is notorious for going back and tinkering, revising, and endlessly revisiting. I wouldn't put it past him to string the franchise along for more films. Am I grateful that he created the old SW world as well as the character of Indy...absolutely! But imo somewhere along the way, money and the advancement of movie technology took center stage for Lucas, and his work has suffered since!

I hear ya. It's kind of a preference thing too. I mean, for all of the people who don't like the new SW prequels I know 2 more who do (I like parts of TPM and AOTC, and I do really like ROTS).

I can understand the fear that something you like may be tainted but at least this film has Harrison and Speilberg. Han Solo is what the prequels really needed! But, if you're hoping for another "Raiders" and end up getting another "Temple of Doom", would you really be that upset?

If the movie sucks then they all deserve blame and if it's good then Lucas deserves a fair share of the credit too.

Last edited:

deckard24

sandiegojones said:
I hear ya. It's kind of a preference thing too. I mean, for all of the people who don't like the new SW prequels I know 2 more who do (I like parts of TPM and AOTC, and I do really like ROTS).

I can understand the fear that something you like may be tainted but at least this film has Harrison and Speilberg. Han Solo is what the prequels really needed! But, if you're hoping for another "Raiders" and end up getting another "Temple of Doom", would you really be that upset?

If the movie sucks then they all deserve blame and if it's good then Lucas deserves a fair share of the credit too.
I totally agree that Solo was what the prequels needed! Charisma was sorely missing in the prequels, and back in the day Ford's wit and charm made the original SW films so fun to watch. The OTC doesn't get off the hook though where wooden acting is concerned, they were chock full of it as well! If it wasn't for Ford, I don't think they'd be half as entertaining!

As for the prequels I was geeked like everybody when they first came out, but after repeated viewings their lack of quality imo really started to show! They are beautiful visually, but lacking in a big way. Yeah, there are some great moments in all 3 of the films, but as a whole I look back at them with disappointment. That's just my personal feeling where they are concerned, so don't all you SW prequel fans get all riled up!;)

As for getting another ToD, I'd be happy as hell! I'm one who really likes Temple, and thinks it's highly underrated. Will KotCS be as good as RotLA, I doubt it. But I'm sure it will be able to stand up proudly along with the rest of the series. I am nervous, but am remaining optimistic. The LaBeouf angle is my only big concern. I like the guy in all the other films I've seen him in, but as for potentially being Indy's son and taking over in a new Indy franchise...I'm not so sure.

Niteshade007

I don't really think that there will be another trilogy with Shia as the lead, although, if there is, I fail to see how it will "rape the childhood" of some members. I'm no fan of Lucas, believe me, but after the failure of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, I would think that he would not be dumb enough to make ANOTHER television show about a young Indy-like character. If another trilogy is made without Ford, oh well, Ford is old anyway.

My hope is that this film will not be a stinker, but I'm not exactly expecting that at this point.

Professor Jones

-
Sankara said:
Stay cool! This is a just a rumor. [...] "Indy IV" is the last Indy-Movie and we will never see the character of Mutt Williams in another movie.
-
deckard24 said:
I sincerely hope you're right man!

We all DO hope so.

trippweeder said:
As long as Indy 4 is primarily about Indy and Harrison Ford, I'll be happy. If they want to flog a dead horse with a new trilogy, that's their mistake, but if this movie - as I fear - gives Shia too much prominence, then they'll have jipped an entire generation.

That's another evenience... you're right! Even in THIS movie we must hope they'd been careful to the importance to give to that who still remains a secondary character, respect Indy himself: Shia's character.

sandiegojones

Shia probably figures to be about as prominent a character to the story as Sean Connery was or maybe Short Round.

I doubt we'll see a new trilogy. I mean, the character's name (Mutt Williams) and age simply doesn't lend itself to a new series. "Mutt Williams and the Great Milk Shake Caper of '59". Quit getting all of your panties in a bunch over rumors.

Lucas is not stupid and these films have always been a collaborative effort. You may not be happy with te SW prequels, but he hardly raped a generation's childhood with the new films as some claim. They're no different than the Young Indy Adventures. You either accept them or you don't. :gun:

HovitosKing

Digging up a thread last commented on 14 years ago? You’re the real archaeologist around here 😆. Ironically, the “getting too old for this” jokes from KotCS were probably used too early in retrospect. Considering Ford today (not counting any de-aging efforts), he was still close enough to his prime during KotCS to have done much more than he did and still be believable. But maybe only by comparison with today’s Indy.