What's up with Spielberg and Kaminski?

sandiegojones

Darth Vile said:
Why do you just keep repeating yourself???
Because he's a douche. He feels he has to force his opinion on everyone else because he has "little pen!s" syndrome. Most people I know like KOTCS. Especially the ones over 35 who usually don't post on the internet.

Anyway....

The jungles are very different. Why does one have to look the same as the other just because it's Indy. You can go to Africa or other countries with jungles and you'd see a variety. The type of jungle in Raiders would not have worked for the chase in KOTCS.

Sankara

@sandiego
According to your Wife my ***** is much bigger than yours! :D

Yes, maybe they like "Skull" but the still think it's the worst of the Indy Movies. Check out Imdb, rottentomatoes or the empire magazine. The majority of people think so....

AGREE: The jungles are different. In Raiders it's real jungle in Skull it's a fictitious jungle, one with its own look, layout and laws of physics, that only exists inside the computers at ILM.

James

sandiegojones said:
The type of jungle in Raiders would not have worked for the chase in KOTCS.

And the reason it wouldn't have worked is because it's no longer 1981. They had difficulty finding a suitable jungle because today's environmental restrictions are much tighter, and prevented them from destroying any trees.

Since they couldn't carve out the 'roads' they needed to film on, it became a choice between cgi enhancement or filming on a giant soundstage.

James

Sankara said:
@james
Oh... you mean there is no more real jungle on this planet? Come on... :D

No, there's plenty of jungles...you just can't go around destroying them. So assuming they could've returned to the same spot they used in ROTLA- they couldn't have bulldozed out the area that would've been required for the lengthy vehicle chase.

This is an issue that was covered in the recent "Complete Making Of" book, and one (I thought) I explained fairly clearly in my post.

AtomicAge

Sankara said:
Raiders: REAL Jungle

Skull: REAL Jungle filmed BUT: At the ILM offices, Helman and his team meshed the Hawaiian footage with the Brazilian and Argentinian imagery, ADDING huge swathes of flora using a new digital-effects technique. The result is a fictitious jungle, one with its own look, layout and laws of physics, that only exists inside the computers at ILM.

Anyone hear a broken record?

Jones Disciple

I don?t think the problem with KOTCS is the CGI or Kaminski it?s just that the film lacked some of the magic that the old ones had and the look of the film is not the reason why. Temple and Crusade have many effects that don?t look real and you don?t here many people complaining about it.

I like KOTCS and I am glad they made it. For me it comes in a respectable fourth place but did anyone seriously think it would overtake Raiders or Crusade? I know there are some who love Temple and think it is the best of the series. I am sure many of them didn?t think KOTCS was going to be better then their favorite? The first three are classics and a product of a much younger Spielberg, Lucas and Ford. It is a tall order to expect a new film to capture the same feelings that the old ones did especially since many involved in the production have changed since the 80s like many of us have.

I just hope that Indy 5 gets closer and not farther away and I think it will be the story and tone that will determine if that happens or not.

Sankara

James said:
...you just can't go around destroying them

Well, the did it! Check out the videos on the official page. BUT: They added huge swathes of flora by using a new digital-effects technique. That's the reason why the jungle looked in many scenes like a Playstation Jungle...

Darth Vile

Sankara said:
Well, the did it! Check out the videos on the official page. BUT: They added huge swathes of flora by using a new digital-effects technique. That's the reason why the jungle looked in many scenes like a Playstation Jungle...

Firstly, they didn't add "huge swathes of flora". It was, on the whole, quite subtle. Secondly, the only shots in the jungle chase that look overtly "fake" are the ones that are shot against blue screen e.g. some of Mutt's sword fight with Spalko, Spalko/Marion in the duck etc. There are plenty of obvious blue screen shots in the other three... So your argument doesn't really hold up.

Finally - If people genuinely like KOTCS, where is the sense of victory (or whatever it is you seek), in making leaps of logic to assume it's the “fourth worst Indy movie"? The inference from that conclusion you state on EVERY TOPIC, is that all Indy movies are bad... and because your logic is pathologically skewed, you don't even get that your sh*tting on the other movies you like… I find it odd coming from someone who claims to be the "biggest fan".

Mickiana

I think Sankara has a point, but it's being lost a bit in translation. The "fourth worst movie" can't be what he means as we know it. I think he means KotCS is the fourth best! That would a more diplomatic way to put it. I think he is suffering my syndrome - 'Raiderus Disappointeous'. This is a more-than-slight affliction of expectation when it comes to Indiana Jones sequels and hoping we are going to see another film on the same level as RotLA.

sandiegojones

Sankara said:
@sandiego
According to your Wife my ***** is much bigger than yours! :D

Yes, maybe they like "Skull" but the still think it's the worst of the Indy Movies. Check out Imdb, rottentomatoes or the empire magazine. The majority of people think so....

AGREE: The jungles are different. In Raiders it's real jungle in Skull it's a fictitious jungle, one with its own look, layout and laws of physics, that only exists inside the computers at ILM.
Whatever. You must be like 11 years old right?

You keep posting the same sentence. You must be copying and pasting. I guess you can't type too much since you have to wipe the drool from your mouth and adjust your helmet.

Not everyone uses imdb or empire magazine (especially in the USA). The CRITICS at rottentomatoes gave mostly positive reviews. Most people who post online are teens. I do not consider the posters on those sites to be reliable or indicative of the mass opinion. There are plenty of other sites that had positive reviews. comingsoon.net did a poll when Indy came out and they had a 75% positive rating from their readers. Theraider.net had one too and 80% were positive. Why do you discount those polls?

My parents saw Indy 4 for the first time this weekend and loved it. More so than TOD. They lived in the 50's (like the filmmakers did) so they got the references, in-jokes and nostalgia. I think young people are too ignorant to know exactly what KOTCS was going for. Indy was made for people like my parent (people who were in their 20's & 30's when ROTLA came out), whether or not a 15 year old likes it is inconsequential.

If it's any consolation, "most people here think you are the worst poster on this website".

Last edited:

Sankara

@sandiego
I must be like 11 years old? You came up with this ***** thing... :D

My parents saw Indy 4 for the first time in may. They said... "okay... but not enough for an Indy-Movie. "Last Crusade" is better!" And this what majority of people think... we've got many-many indikators...

You said rottentomatoes gave mostly positive reviews. That's right: But the reviews of "Raiders", "Temple" and "Crusade" are better. According rottentomatoes it's the worst Indy-Movie.

Fact is "Skull" was not made for people in the age of your parents or my parents.

@Darth Vile
What? All Indy-Movies are bad? Well, I will defend "my" movies for the rest of my life. If somebody is saying: "Hey, Dennis! Quatermain with Chamberlain is much better than "Raiders", "Temple" or "Crusade"!! I will answere: "Well, this is YOUR opnion! I'm fine with your opinon BUT "Indy 1 - 3" ARE better than Quatermain with Chamberlain. According to the critics and polls. You have to live with this!"

Well, If anybody thinks "Jaws 4" is better than "Jaws! Fine... okay... it's his opinion but "Jaws" is the better movie...

If anybody thinks the new Star Wars-Movies are better than the old ones
Fine... okay... it's his opinion but the old Star Wars-Movies are better movie...

Same here with the true Indy-Movies "Raiders", "Temple" ,"Crusade" and "Skull".

sandiegojones

@Sankara

I was not being childish in stating you have "little pen!s disorder". I was using psychology to analyze the comments in your posts. The fact that you feel you must post the same thing every day, twenty times a day to make yourself feel better reeks of insecurity.

It's like an old guy buying a Porsche to get young girls or short guys who guys who buy monster trucks. They are trying to "compensate" for what they lack. The fact that you are always on offense here is similar. I wasn't stating you in fact have a little schlong (how the hell would I know), just that the manner in which you post comes across that way.

Sankara

sandiegojones said:
My parents saw Indy 4 for the first time this weekend and loved it. More so than TOD. They lived in the 50's (like the filmmakers did) so they got the references, in-jokes and nostalgia. I think young people are too ignorant to know exactly what KOTCS was going for.

Well, I was born in 1974 but I can enjoy "Braveheart"... :hat:

@WeAreGoingToDie
Yes! What about your job?

sandiegojones

Sankara said:
Well, I was born in 1974 but I can enjoy "Braveheart"... :hat:

@WeAreGoingToDie
Yes! What about your job?

I was born in 1979 (my B-Day was yesterday actually). What has that go to do with it? KOTCS and Braveheart are different.

The B-movies of the 1950's are not frequently shown on TV (and if they are I don't think that kids would get the references to communism, atomic fear and mind control that the aliens in those films represented) and much about the time is not known to younger people (20 and under) who pay to see movies these days.

Even though I'm 29 I know a lot about the 50's. I went to film school and have seen a lot of those old B-movies and I also studied history so I know about the Soviets, communism and McCarthyism. I also listen to Elvis and like hot rods so KOTCS appeals to me in a big way!

BTW, I work for a bank so things are a bit slow now which is why I'm here.

Darth Vile

Sankara said:
@Darth Vile
What? All Indy-Movies are bad? Well, I will defend "my" movies for the rest of my life. If somebody is saying: "Hey, Dennis! Quatermain with Chamberlain is much better than "Raiders", "Temple" or "Crusade"!! I will answere: "Well, this is YOUR opnion! I'm fine with your opinon BUT "Indy 1 - 3" ARE better than Quatermain with Chamberlain. According to the critics and polls. You have to live with this!"

Well, If anybody thinks "Jaws 4" is better than "Jaws! Fine... okay... it's his opinion but "Jaws" is the better movie...

If anybody thinks the new Star Wars-Movies are better than the old ones
Fine... okay... it's his opinion but the old Star Wars-Movies are better movie...

Same here with the true Indy-Movies "Raiders", "Temple" ,"Crusade" and "Skull".

What are you going on about???

Darth Vile

Mickiana said:
I think Sankara has a point, but it's being lost a bit in translation. The "fourth worst movie" can't be what he means as we know it. I think he means KotCS is the fourth best! That would a more diplomatic way to put it. I think he is suffering my syndrome - 'Raiderus Disappointeous'. This is a more-than-slight affliction of expectation when it comes to Indiana Jones sequels and hoping we are going to see another film on the same level as RotLA.

I think you are giving him too much benefit of a doubt... His English isn't that bad... He knows what he's stating... don't you Sankara? ;)

James

Sankara said:
You said rottentomatoes gave mostly positive reviews. That's right: But the reviews of "Raiders", "Temple" and "Crusade" are better. According rottentomatoes it's the worst Indy-Movie.

This argument has been thoroughly discredited several times already. None of those websites provide an accurate snapshot of how the previous three movies were received. The reason is simple: They feature reviews that are written from a modern perspective.

So what you're actually saying is that, in 20 years, KOTCS will likely be regarded even more fondly than it is today.