Fate of Atlantis Remake

TheFirebird1

Skylover SC said:
The project was shut down last year, according to multiple reports. Why is Spacek starting it again after the cease and desist order? Is he asking for a lawsuit from Disney?
Edit: Furthermore, according to this article, the developers were supposed to remove download links by March 5th, 2017. That's right, a year and four months ago.
These guys are really setting themselves up for a lawsuit into oblivion.

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
Or maybe they know something we don't...
They act as if they're in cahoots with Disney...but for all intents and purposes, they're not. The project was, however, shut down by the legal teams at Disney last year, and until a new update comes out, they're technically acting in violation of a legal notice.
And just one more question. Why a remake of FoA? Why can't we have an original Indiana Jones game? Point'n'click games are great, but their time for Indy has passed.

Finn

Staff member
TheFirebird1 said:
The project was, however, shut down by the legal teams at Disney last year, and until a new update comes out, they're technically acting in violation of a legal notice.
They've violated nothing. They've simply chosen to ignore Disney's request. A legal notice or a C&D request is not the same as a court order. One can comply with it, or one can not and practically tell the sender that "we're not shutting down, involve the authorities if you don't like it".

And then there's of course the little matter of which authorities. This remake can technically stay alive as long as it's being developed in a country where the local copyright laws allow it.

If most of this project's development is taking place stateside, then the team is most likely in a world of hurt if they choose not to comply with Disney's notice. But if they happen to reside e.g. somewhere in eastern Europe, then there is actually a chance they're out of the reach of the mouse.

TheFirebird1

Finn said:
They've violated nothing. They've simply chosen to ignore Disney's request. A legal notice or a C&D request is not the same as a court order. One can comply with it, or one can not and practically tell the sender that "we're not shutting down, involve the authorities if you don't like it".

And then there's of course the little matter of which authorities. This remake can technically stay alive as long as it's being developed in a country where the local copyright laws allow it.

If most of this project's development is taking place stateside, then the team is most likely in a world of hurt if they choose not to comply with Disney's notice. But if they happen to reside e.g. somewhere in eastern Europe, then there is actually a chance they're out of the reach of the mouse.
If I remember correctly, most of their production staff resides within the U.S. (and boy, do we have ultra-strict IP laws and copyright protection). Furthermore, back in March 2017, the group behind FoA's development ceded to Disney's request, promising to remove all download links by the 5th. Granted, they're technically not in violation of a court order, but they have gone against a cease and desist notice that they previously agreed to.
The Mouse will strike back, it seems, and with great vengeance.
Edit: And to quote their statement following the C&D (emphasis mine):
Lawsuit pending said:
We have been told that Lucasfilm don't want to share the Indy license with anyone right now, so we came up with other solution and we will see if that is going to work for them.
So to recap, they don't have the license, they're probably committing severe copyright violations by continuing, and the "other solution" they discussed seems to have gone nowhere.

Last edited:

DirkPitt

I think they said, that they will make to full game as a series of "unrelated demos". So the newest demo is first chunk of the game, next demo will be another chunk and so on.

This is strange and risky. I think Disney will eventually take same legal action.

Apart from all that, I really like the original pixel art better, than this new approach. To me, the original is perfect (well the voice acting could be upgraded a little bit). It is one of my favourites games of all time.

What can I say? I'm an oldtimer!

TheFirebird1

DirkPitt said:
I think they said, that they will make to full game as a series of "unrelated demos". So the newest demo is first chunk of the game, next demo will be another chunk and so on.

This is strange and risky. I think Disney will eventually take same legal action.

Apart from all that, I really like the original pixel art better, than this new approach. To me, the original is perfect (well the voice acting could be upgraded a little bit). It is one of my favourites games of all time.

What can I say? I'm an oldtimer!
I completely agree with all of your points here. The original game doesn't need a remake because it's already great. I wish someone would focus on actually making a new Indiana Jones game instead of simply reskinning the old version. And yeah, I think it's almost certain at this point that Disney will take legal action if they keep up with these "demo releases". I don't know why the development team on this so-called "remake" hasn't given it a rest yet.