Soundtracks?

Stoo

@Demitasse: I'm in the process of finding worthy tracks to send you. Just need to ask Tash a couple of questions...

@InexorableTash: After comparing my notes & files with the spreadsheets...

1) ALL of the 3 DVD Games tracks have been 100% identified. Correct?

2) There are no LEGO/LEGO 2 tracks which are 0% identified (apart from the 2 listed below). Yes? No?

3) LEGO 2 spreadsheet has no definite source for the following:
1_3_MapRoomA_Qui
2_0_HUB_1Shanghai_Qui

I took the liberty of changing the colour for those 2 mysterious tracks to RED. ("1_3_MapRoomA_Qui" sounds very John Williams-ish.)

Tash, my Raven PM Inbox is full again and I lost your e-mail address when my laptop was stolen. If you still have mine, please, shoot me a quick e-mail!:hat:

Demitasse

Thanks Stoo- I was also wondering if all the music from the DVD documentaries has been identified. Lots of it is stock music, but some may be from the episodes. Tash made a spreadsheet with this information on it somewhere, I just can't remember where!

Demitasse

More music identified!

Guess I'm on a roll here. Maybe I should start saving these for a rainy day too, but when it rains it pours, eh Stoo?! (hint, hint) ;)

I just ID'd some more music, this time from Passion for Life. Stoo was right about his hunch (way back on the first page of this thread!) about the opening piece being by Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

Rejoice, for the music from that beautiful African montage that opens the episode is called "Umusa Kankulunkulu (Mercy Of God)." It's the first track on their album, Journey of Dreams (1988), and will hopefully conjure more from Passion for Life than, er, "Graceland"!

Woohoo! Three and a half more minutes to clock in! (y)

InexorableTash

NOTE: I used to have 3 spreadsheets: LIJ1 Analysis, LIJ2 Analysis, and Episode Cue List + Other Track Analysis. I've combined them all into one (the latter) and made the first two simply link to the third. Links on youngindianajonesmusic.com have been updated. Apologies for the churn; I would have done it sooner but Google Docs didn't have the requisite fine grained import capabilities when I last checked. The color coding may be inconsistent as well.

Stoo said:
1) ALL of the 3 DVD Games tracks have been 100% identified. Correct?

Yes, to the best of my knowledge. That would be the stuff on this sheet: Other Tracks

Stoo said:
2) There are no LEGO/LEGO 2 tracks which are 0% identified (apart from the 2 listed below). Yes? No?

That would be these two sheets: LIJ1 Tracks - LIJ2 Tracks

I believe that is correct, not counting the intro/midtro/outro ones (that usually have "speech" SFX), although I'd love someone else to spot check the rough IDs I made for most of the LIJ2 tracks.

Stoo said:
1_3_MapRoomA_Qui
2_0_HUB_1Shanghai_Qui

Correct. This thread had lost some steam by the time LIJ2 came out. Great to see renewed interest!

InexorableTash

Bad news and good news, YIJC Music fans. First, the bad news, which isn't all that bad:

Stoo said:
1_3_MapRoomA_Qui

I'm pretty confident that the first 30 seconds or so of this are from ROTLA "Bad Dates" and the remaining audio is from ROTLA "The Well of the Souls". So no unidentified YIJC music in that track.

The good news: Seth MacFarlane's album "Music Is Better Than Words" is due out next Tuesday. This was arranged and conducted by none other than Joel McNeely. Now we knew that "She's Wonderful Too" from the Scandal of 1920 was getting an extended-dance-mix version by McNeely with Lucas' blessing, but it's great to hear that McNeely's input extends to the whole album. Hopefully this will get him some attention and foster interest in his previous work.

Amazon and iTunes both have previews of the album up.

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Better-Than-Words-MacFarlane/dp/B004T5IW2K

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/music-is-better-than-words/id457870342

The preview on iTunes of the new "She's Wonderful Too" is 90 seconds long - quite a bit of the song, and longer than the ~40 seconds the track runs in the episode and OST#3.

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
I'm pretty confident that the first 30 seconds or so of this are from ROTLA "Bad Dates" and the remaining audio is from ROTLA "The Well of the Souls". So no unidentified YIJC music in that track.
Hmm, Demitasse wrote me saying that he thought it might have been from the Morocco portion of "Tales of Innocence".
InexorableTash said:
The preview on iTunes of the new "She's Wonderful Too" is 90 seconds long - quite a bit of the song, and longer than the ~40 seconds the track runs in the episode and OST#3.
Sounds classy with the slightly slower tempo and fleshed-out instrumentation. Thanks for posting the link, Tash.:)

Laird sent me an e-mail a month ago with some news which I suggested he post here but perhaps he is too busy. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing the info:

He had just bought the Joel McNeely soundtrack for "Squanto". Apparently a track, "Arrival at Plymouth", sounds just like something from "Phantom Train"! ("Squanto" was released the following year.)

Laird also said that he has been contacting soundtrack labels to generate interest in doing a Young Indy set.
- LA LA Land Records is interested but busy.
- Intrada said they tried 3 years ago but Lucas wanted to only combine rights for the Young Indy soundtracks with rights for the music from the theatrical films (which Concord got).
- Concord may have the rights but they obviously haven't done anything with them if they do.
- He plans on contacting Varese Sarabande and Joel McNeely, himself.

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Hmm, Demitasse wrote me saying that he thought it might have been from the Morocco portion of "Tales of Innocence".

Ditto, which is what led me to check it out. There are definite similarities, but I'm as certain as I can be that it's those two ROTLA tracks. I'd appreciate a second opinion, though.

Stoo said:
He had just bought the Joel McNeely soundtrack for "Squanto". Apparently a track, "Arrival at Plymouth", sounds just like something from "Phantom Train"! ("Squanto" was released the following year.)

Wow! You can listen to a long clip of that track at Intrada's Squanto page and indeed it sounds very similar to "The 21st Royal Fusileers" and other "Phantom Train" bits.

Demitasse

Having listened to "Bad Dates" and "Well of Souls" on ROTLA, I concur with Tash and withdraw my previous hypothesis, although it is quite similar. But have a listen to Bad Dates especially. It's definitely there.

MDew

Lairdo's right, that Squanto track is very "Phantom Train" indeed. Good find! (y)

Also glad to hear he's busy generating interest in the soundtracks. I tried to sign up to Intrada's message board a while back to do the same thing (they have a requests section on there), but never got accepted. The only thing that bothers me about them is that they only do the limited release sets that are usually pricey and sometimes sell out soon after release then are impossible to find. Wouldn't it be better to just do a digital release through iTunes or Amazon so more people could get it for cheaper? Seems like it would be cheaper for them anyway without the media/packaging costs. :confused:

Last edited:

phantom train

Laserschwert said:
Actually it wasn't THAT comprehensive (and still not complete). Also KOTCS just got its regular album in there and no extensions.

I think, as Lairdo said, The Ron Jones Project is the better template on how to release the Young Indy scores (although I doubt it'd need 14 discs).

True - the KOTCS soundtrack in the boxed set was just the CD from the normal release. I guess what I meant was that the other three IJ CD's in the boxed set (ROTLA, TOD, and LC) were more comprehensive than anything we had gotten previously re: these soundtracks. The TOD soundtrack was especially great - I had never owned this before getting it in this set, and it was unquestionably far better than any of the other sub-par, truncated soundtracks released for TOD.

And, yes, it would be great to get a massive YIJC boxed set with all the music from the show - here's hoping this happens at some point.

Last edited:

lairdo

Yeah, I've been talking to a few of the record companies about Young Indy. I get the same answers - interested but busy. I'm going to keep pushing. I also am going to reach out to Joel McNeely too who I still know. I just finished a big game (Skylanders) and am leaving Activision (on my own choice) to pursue education games. So, hopefully there will be some spaces for me to try to make this happen.

I also mentioned the idea to Matt Wood (who worked with me on Young Indy - in fact the first person I ever hired - and now the main sound designer at Lucas). He thought it was a great idea and said he knew were all the original 2 track DAT tapes were in the archives.

I'm moving slowly, but with the 20th anniversary coming up, I want to push this forward.

And Stoo - I am remiss in sending you an email reply!

phantom train

lairdo said:
Yeah, I've been talking to a few of the record companies about Young Indy. I get the same answers - interested but busy. I'm going to keep pushing. I also am going to reach out to Joel McNeely too who I still know. I just finished a big game (Skylanders) and am leaving Activision (on my own choice) to pursue education games. So, hopefully there will be some spaces for me to try to make this happen.

I also mentioned the idea to Matt Wood (who worked with me on Young Indy - in fact the first person I ever hired - and now the main sound designer at Lucas). He thought it was a great idea and said he knew were all the original 2 track DAT tapes were in the archives.

I'm moving slowly, but with the 20th anniversary coming up, I want to push this forward.

Thanks for all of your work on this. Getting some kind of YIJC CD set for the 20th anniversary would be amazing.

Crack that whip

phantom train said:
Thanks for all of your work on this. Getting some kind of YIJC CD set for the 20th anniversary would be amazing.

I second this. Laird, thanks so much for your work on this (and on the show in the first place, and for then posting about it here!). I'd be delighted with any more music from the show (and from the four movies, too, for that matter!).

InexorableTash

Kudos, Laird! And my fingers are still crossed...

lairdo said:

If he's in the Bay Area, ask if I can take him out to lunch as bribery. :)

More seriously, I wonder if it would save a lot of hassle if Lucasfilm could release directly to iTunes (etc) without a label in the way. Despite interest from the labels, I find it hard to imagine that there would enough buyers for a large release of this music. Which means it would be a limited release, which means high prices and artificial scarcity.

Admittedly, letting a label take the risk means Lucasfilm doesn't need to fund someone to digitize, clean up, and produce all of the associated materials - rather, they get paid a licensing fee for the benefit of handing over a box of tapes and paperwork.

Still... why bother with a physical release? It's so 20th Century.

(And in a sign of the times, a forum for one of my other hobbies is going through this with physical objects. Now that 3D printing is cheap, some people feel that hand-made objects are better than 3D printed, and old-timers decry the easy access to 3D prints and how quickly the items get mass-produced. As a counter to that viewpoint, I sponsored the "open source license" design of an object so that it would be widely and perpetually available.)

MDew

Great news lairdo, here's hoping you are successful in your mission (y)
If not, I think we need to work on arranging a late night "visit" to the archives to find those tapes...;)
But seriously, that's awesome Mr. Wood is on our side...and even more awesome that you hired him!

Faleel

MDew said:
Lairdo's right, that Squanto track is very "Phantom Train" indeed. Good find! (y)

Also glad to hear he's busy generating interest in the soundtracks. I tried to sign up to Intrada's message board a while back to do the same thing (they have a requests section on there), but never got accepted. The only thing that bothers me about them is that they only do the limited release sets that are usually pricey and sometimes sell out soon after release then are impossible to find. Wouldn't it be better to just do a digital release through iTunes or Amazon so more people could get it for cheaper? Seems like it would be cheaper for them anyway without the media/packaging costs. :confused:

Because Digital downloads are usually Lossy.

Stoo

More Additional Music

In "Northern Italy, June 1918 / Tales of Innocence":

Several times throughout the episode, Laurence Rosenthal incorporates cues from the traditional, Italian tune, "La Tarantella Napoletana".

Also incorporated into a brief part of the soundtrack is the song that Indy sings while having a bath. It is, "Oh, You Beautiful Doll" from 1911. Lyrics by Seymour Brown and music by Nat D. Ayer. (Coincidentally, Irving Berlin, whom Indy would eventually meet in 1920, later reworked the music in 1928 for a play, "The Swing Party of 1928".)

@Tash: The analysis spreadsheet has been updated accordingly.;)

phantom train

I'm old school, so would have no interest in digital downloads of these YIJC soundtracks. I would like to see a boxed CD set with all the bells & whistles, i.e. most/all of the music included in the show, in-depth liner notes, etc. Sure, it's wishful thinking - but, if we got anything along the lines of the IJ film soundtrack boxed set from 2008, I would be happy :)

That being said, if a CD set like this doesn't come out in 2012 it may be less likely that it will come out at all, given that the music industry seems to be scaling back when it comes to CD production:

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=46980_0_2_0_C

T.E.Lawrence

Laserschwert said:
I sent MV Gerhard (the head honcho of La-La Land Records) an e-mail suggesting Young Indy in the wake of the recent release of Paramount's "Star Trek: The Next Generation, Vol. 1". Here's his answer:

Amazing post. I feel 20 years younger immediately :) No suprise of course that Lucasfilm is sitting on it. If only someone would make a move in the direction of release :) Ah...my greatest dream :)

InexorableTash

Way back on page 6, I wrote:

InexorableTash said:
Hey Stoo -

Given your expertise in mashing up the covers (e.g. the Old Indy), do you think you could take a stab at creating a CD cover or two for our "Unreleased Tracks" collections? I'm thinking in the vein of the Vol 1 OST's cover - bold monochrome color overall, with the margins containing color cutouts, all given an "oil painting" filter.

And the reply was thus:

Stoo said:
Re: Cover artwork
YES! I would love to do some. Great idea! 2 Volumes would be better, I think. (Down the road we could possibly get more for a Volume 3...) Would it be called "Unreleased Tracks", though, since they sort of aren't unreleased? That said, I can't think of a better title. Personally, my preference would be having the music chronologically....

Let me know when you decide on an order but it might be a little too earlier considering not all the tracks have been fully identified yet.

Then I wrote:

InexorableTash said:
Well, we could call 'em "Vol 6" and "Vol 7" and so forth.

Wouldn't that be Trenches/Oganga/Hawkmen, then Austria/Russia/Barcelona/Praugue/Daredevils/Peacock? That's a pretty good breakup anyway, with the first one having strong military/adventure themes, the second being a wider mix.

Here's one possible breakdown:

Vol 6: 49 minutes

Main Title: Laurence Rosenthal
Young Indiana Jones Fanfare 0:55:00

Florence, 1908: Laurence Rosenthal
Attraction is a Law of Physics (Florence 1908) 1:23:00

India, 1910: Laurence Rosenthal
Indian Rules (India 1910) 0:47:00
DVD Credits (Journey of Radiance) 1:16:00

Travels with Father: Laurence Rosenthal
Tolstoy Among the People (Travels with Father) 3:09:00

Somme, 1916: Frederic Talgorn
Book Fight / Lt. Moreau Takes Command (Somme 1916) 1:35:00
Artillery Fire Begins (Somme 1916) 0:42:00
To the Battle (Somme 1916) 1:48:00
Flames of Horror (Somme 1916) 1:31:00
Lancers of Death (Somme 1916) 0:49:00
Tunnel / Behind the German Lines (Somme 1916) 2:36:00
Suspense (Somme 1916) 2:47:00
Main Title - Somme (Germany 1916) 2:27:00
Now's Our Chance (Germany 1916) 1:50:00
Run! (Germany 1916) 1:03:00
Painful Lessons (Germany 1916) 2:12:00
Let's Bury Some Stiffs (Germany 1916) 3:40:00

Verdun, 1916: Joel McNeely
Do Any of You Speak German? (Verdun 1916) 1:11:00
Return from the Mission (Verdun 1916) 0:51:00

Paris, 1916: Joel McNeely
Your Leave Has Been Canceled (Paris 1916) 0:54:00

German East Africa, 1916 / The Congo, 1917: Joel McNeely
A Stray Bullet (German East Africa 1916) 1:38:00
It's Treason, Segeant! (German East Africa 1916) 1:50:00
500 Miles Down River (German East Africa 1916) 1:39:00
Bee Sting / Dutch Boy (Congo 1917) 1:36:00
Our Situation is Desperate (Congo 1917) 1:49:00
Delirious Indy (Congo 1917) 2:38:00
My Name is Albert (Congo 1917) 1:31:00
The Chief's Son is Dying (Congo 1917) 1:04:00
Waving Goodbye (Congo 1917) 0:43:00
Ronstand's River Arrest (Congo 1917) 0:32:00
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (Congo 1917) 1:20:00

Vol. 7, 46 Min

Attack of the Hawkmen (Ravenelle/Ahlhorn, 1917) Joel McNeely
This Will Never Work (Ravenelle 1917) 1:48:00
Photographic Session (Ravenelle 1917) 1:59:00
Indy's First Dogfight (Ravenelle 1917) 1:03:00
Welcome to Germany (Ravenelle 1917) 1:01:00
Do Any of You Speak German? (Verdun 1916) 1:11:00
Truck Fight and Biplane Escape (Ravenelle 1917) 2:54:00
Off to Paris (Garryowen) (Ravenelle 1917) 0:38:00
Dogfight with the Red Baron (Ravenelle 1917) 2:28:00
Out of Danger (Ravenelle 1917) 2:38:00
Arrival in Hanover (Ahlhorn 1917) 1:24:00
Serving Schnapps / The Camera (Ahlhorn 1917) 1:37:00
Note in Pocket (Ahlhorn 1917) 0:10:00
Ran Into Some Trouble (Ahlhorn 1917) 1:06:00

Austria, 1917: Laurence Rosenthal
Get One Thing Straight (Austria 1917) 1:07:00
Arriving at the Swiss/Austrian Border (Austria 1917) 1:32:00
Sixtus' Papers (Austria 1917) 0:32:00
Mistaken for Someone Else (Austria 1917) 1:08:00
Wrong Compartment (Austria 1917) 0:40:00
Friends of Frederic (Austria 1917) 2:15:00
Mr. Max (Austria 1917) 0:27:00
To the Dungeon (Austria 1917) 0:53:00
Rooftop Chase 1:54:00

Russia, 1917: Laurence Rosenthal
The Bridges of Saint Petersburg (Russia 1917) 1:35:00

Barcelona, 1917: Laurence Rosenthal
Bistro Guitar (Barcelona 1917) 2:16:00
Barber Shop (Barcelona 1917) 1:19:00
Duel Accepted (Barcelona 1917) 0:23:00
Scheherazade Medley (Barcelona 1917) 7:22:00

Prague, 1917: Laurence Rosenthal
A Train to Catch (Prague 1917) 1:02:00
The Amazing Flight of the Filing Cabinet (Prague 1917) 2:19:00

Vol. 8, 38 min

Daredevils of the Desert (Palestine, 1917): Laurence Rosenthal
Assault on Gaza 1:08:00
Deception Chase 0:45:00
Meinertzhagen's Plan / These Documents are Real 2:16:00
??? / Riding with Ned 1:07:00
Talking with Ned / One More Question 2:14:00
Gaza or Beersheba? 0:45:00
Desert Brigands 2:35:00
A Trader in Fine Goods / The Wells are Rigged 2:22:00
Bit of a Gallop / First One Over the Trench Wins 1:32:00
Re-Wiring the Wells / Final Showdown 1:18:00

DVD Credits (Tales of Innocence) 1:07:00

The Treasure of the Peacock's Eye: Steve Bramson
The Letter (Extended) 2:39:00
Stories Concerning Antiquities 1:13:00
Goodbye For Now 0:59:00
Finding the Treasure (Part 1) 0:30:00
Finding the Treasure (Part 2) 0:33:00
China Sea & Musical Number 1:16:00
Our Diamond is Getting Away 3:52:00
Faraway 0:33:00
It Stops Here 3:02:00

Winds of Change: Joel McNeely
The Future is Here 1:00:00

Mystery of the Blues: Joel McNeely
DVD Credits (Mystery of the Blues) 1:27:00

Hollywood Follies: Laurence Rosenthal
Chariot Race 1:39:00
Broadway To Hollywood 2:26:00
Indy, Let's Go! 0:40:00

The lengths could use some tweaks, and each disc should have a title. Also, I've put some of MDew's tracks inline (e.g. "China Dreams") but not others (e.g. "The Man I Love"); they really should be in there but I'm rushed for time a the moment.

Discuss!