Raiders of the Lost Archives: A Shot-by-Shot Comparison

James Byrne

Hi Stoo
Are you going to do all of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK using old clips from serials and movies?

I bought a newer, far better copy of HONG KONG, starring Reagan as Indy, and I really like the movie now.

I'm looking out for Alan Ladd in CHINA on dvd next.

Stoo

James Byrne said:
Hi Stoo
Are you going to do all of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK using old clips from serials and movies?
James, I'd love to do the whole film but the Ark opening scene is quite unique and would be pretty much impossible to duplicate. I have a large chunk of the truck chase done and it's looking great, if I do say so myself.

Good luck finding, "China". I know that you'll like it.:D
Moedred said:
You could always upload a new addition, and if you do... :)

aspect_ratio.png
Heh.;) Yeah, I annoyingly screwed up on the aspect ratio.:eek: Unfortunately, the only way to change the ratio settings is by starting again from scratch and I was too far into the thing before I realized there was a problem. Didn't want to start over again so I just went with it.:( The next one will be widescreen.

---
The mention of my video in "The New Yorker" article from 2 months ago helped push its hits on YouTube past 300,000 views. It's currently at 314,627!(y)

For any new Raven members who feel like taking a look, here it is: Raiders of the Lost Archives

Stoo

Audio Disabled on YouTube

After almost 3 years of my video being on YouTube, I received this announcement from them, 2 days ago:

"Your video 'Raiders of the Lost Archives', may have content that is owned or licensed by UMG. As a result, the video’s audio has been muted."

The details reveal that the copyright offense is with: "John Williams-In the Jungle (Album Version)"

This is both understandable & puzzling at the same time because unblocked videos, which use Universal Music Group's material, are all over YouTube. Did UMG raise a flag on my channel because of last month's problem with the Japanese documentary? My video has sat there, unmolested, for almost 3 years (and even went semi-viral almost 2 years ago) so WHY NOW?:confused:

Even though my YouTube account status is currently in "good standing", this is my 5th copyright issue and I'm afraid to put the Truck Chase up there because I don't want another strike!:eek:

For anyone interested, it's still viewable WITH SOUND at:
https://vimeo.com/9760472

P.S. Gerry Baby, thanks for the link. My thing was featured on many sites but I don't recall seeing that Awesomer one before. (Funny how you & Shawn were the very 1st people to see the video, on my computer that night back in Dec. 2009!)

James Byrne

Stoo
Just viewed your masterpiece again, and there is a clip of Heston from SECRET OF THE INCAS at the 7.35 mark that I don't actually remember from the movie (and I know every single second of it!). Have you tweeked that scene slightly?

Stoo

Hello, my friend, and thanks for watching again. Indeed, that clip has been tweaked. It's from the part where the team breaks the sealed entrance into the main tomb. Steele gets up to get a closer look when the 1st stone is removed.

I flipped it horizontally and ran it in reverse to make it look like he is kneeling down & facing the opposite direction. A sneaky cheat on my part...but it's only 2 secs!;)

---
P.S. The truck chase comparison has been coming along nicely but, even though it's a shorter sequence, it's taking longer to do.:( Does anyone know of a movie with an Arab on the hood of a truck/car?:confused:

James Byrne

Stoo
I'm really looking forward to your version of the chase scene. If its half as good as the first one you did then it could still be classified as a masterpiece. :D

Stoo

Praise From a Celebrity

There's been some changes to YouTube over the past while and I just noticed yesterday that Google+ conversations are showing up in the YouTube comments. There is a whole bunch from the past 2 years that I've never seen before from people forwarding links to various articles about the video. Nearly all of the comments are positive, which is good. Anyway?

One of the people who shared a link to a BoingBoing article on the video is my favourite CNN INTERNATIONAL anchorwoman, Kristie Lu Stout!!! (Yes, it's the same person because her picture is there and her YouTube account correlates). She's cool enough to "get it" and I'm pleased with what she wrote. Here's a portion of the conversation:

---
Kristie Lu Stout:
Consuming the past while creating the "new."

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" shot-for-shot borrowing of adventure movies past. An incredible edit. Worth a watch.

H/t +Boing Boing

Friend 1:
Wow ! would you call this plaigarism?

Friend 2:
Just amazing...

Kristie Lu Stout:
... or "inspiration?" Most culture these days is rehashed, reheated and reworked.

Friend 5:
When they had to work to match scene-for-scene, and nobody files a lawsuit, it's a "tribute."

KristieLuStout_zps4aa00ba4.jpg

Right on, Kristie Lu!(y)

Montana Smith

That's very cool, Stoo. :cool:

And incredible to note once more just how many simple-minded folk there are out there, who are just incapable of 'getting it'!

Stoo

University Level Teaching Tool

A Professor of Screenwriting at Arizona State University contacted me, asking to use my video for his Film Genres course because "it beautifully captures the spirit of what Lucas, Spielberg and Kasdan were trying to achieve". This is quite an honour so I happily agreed. :)

The man wrote for a whole bunch of TV shows that I grew up with in the '70s & early '80s but, most interesting of all, is that he wrote and co-produced the early '90s "Zorro" TV series!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
A Professor of Screenwriting at Arizona State University contacted me, asking to use my video for his Film Genres course because "it beautifully captures the spirit of what Lucas, Spielberg and Kasdan were trying to achieve". This is quite an honour so I happily agreed. :)

I feel a bit like Will Hunting right now.

hkaXNwYTogAkG-DJJol4a2V3BcXCU14o_h264_3800_640x360_351985731967.jpg

Getting a college education for free here on theRaven, while a bunch of people are racking up debt at an American College because they still believe that learning is imparted, and not earned.