Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Finn

Staff member
AndyLGR said:
These sequels are not tied like that, they can do anything they want.
Maybe not. After all, there's a ton of "extended universe" stuff out there (novels, comic books, video games) that seem to pretty much cover everything that has happened to any character imaginable for roughly another century after the end of the original trilogy.

Though I guess they could always decide to throw it all out and set the movie on an alternate timeline or something. Wouldn't even be surprised if such a thing were to happen, after all it's a lot of material to cover if you wish to avoid any kind of contradictions.

AndyLGR

Finn said:
Maybe not. After all, there's a ton of "extended universe" stuff out there (novels, comic books, video games) that seem to pretty much cover everything that has happened to any character imaginable for roughly another century after the end of the original trilogy.

Though I guess they could always decide to throw it all out and set the movie on an alternate timeline or something. Wouldn't even be surprised if such a thing were to happen, after all it's a lot of material to cover if you wish to avoid any kind of contradictions.
Personally I think they will ditch the expanded universe story lines. After all I'm sure Lucas once said that the movies are canon, not the books. Possibly the only stuff they may take from the expanded universe is skywalker kids and who knows maybe they will throw in a character or 2 just to please die hards.

Grizzlor

I do applaud Lucas for turning the franchise over. I am very surprised though at how inept his company seemed to be at getting the television series made. And appears as if he couldn't get the movies made without a backer like Disney??

I would love to see Mark, Carrie, Harrison all return, as they have expressed interests. Heck, Billy Dee Williams too! Granted they are old and out of shape, but there's always CGI!!!! Ha ha ha. Seriously, they should and need to return in some fashion. Like Sir Alec's Obi Wan, to pass the baton and provide continuity.

Personally I've wondered if George has taken to heart the widespread disappointment (and venom) at his prequels from long time fans? Perhaps this is his way at winning back their love? I felt his prequels were terrible, but I didn't hate him for it. That was only when he mangled the original films.

kongisking

Grizzlor said:
I do applaud Lucas for turning the franchise over. I am very surprised though at how inept his company seemed to be at getting the television series made. And appears as if he couldn't get the movies made without a backer like Disney??

I would love to see Mark, Carrie, Harrison all return, as they have expressed interests. Heck, Billy Dee Williams too! Granted they are old and out of shape, but there's always CGI!!!! Ha ha ha. Seriously, they should and need to return in some fashion. Like Sir Alec's Obi Wan, to pass the baton and provide continuity.

Personally I've wondered if George has taken to heart the widespread disappointment (and venom) at his prequels from long time fans? Perhaps this is his way at winning back their love? I felt his prequels were terrible, but I didn't hate him for it. That was only when he mangled the original films.

Well said. I have constantly jokingly called Lucas a money-grubbing monster, but the fact that he is now giving Star Wars to the next generation (aka the fans) to continue the legacy, and on top of that, is donating all the money he got from the deal to charity, proves me completely and utterly wrong, and that at the end of the day, George Lucas is a flawed artist, but a good, commendable human being. No more Lucas bashing for me. :hat:

Finn

Staff member
AndyLGR said:
maybe they will throw in a character or 2 just to please die hards.
...or to tick them further off.

But yeah, I agree, throwing out everything EU contains is probably what they're going to do. After all, it needs to cater to a far wider audience than those who have looked into supplemental fiction. Any references to things that didn't happen in the movies are bound to just confuse majority of the viewers.

Unless, of course, they give it the KotOR treatment and set the piece so far off in the future that anything that has happened inbetween becomes inconsequential. The original actors could have brief cameos in flashbacks or something. Luke could easily be written in to appear as a force ghost.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Unless, of course, they give it the KotOR treatment and set the piece so far off in the future that...

...it becomes our 'recent' past.

StarWars-Tales19-47.jpg

StarWars-Tales19-48.jpg

Grizzlor

kongisking said:
Well said. I have constantly jokingly called Lucas a money-grubbing monster, but the fact that he is now giving Star Wars to the next generation (aka the fans) to continue the legacy, and on top of that, is donating all the money he got from the deal to charity, proves me completely and utterly wrong, and that at the end of the day, George Lucas is a flawed artist, but a good, commendable human being. No more Lucas bashing for me. :hat:
I have always respected George the man, but he's been far too stubborn lately, and has no one around him to critique his actions until it's too late. Rick McCallum, another nice fellow, has arguably been nothing more than a yes man. I think the worst enemy of George was his unchecked power. Even though today's studios are run by worthless accountants, they still can check the nonsense at the door.

Henry W Jones

Lucas has done nothing wrong. He updated his films so he could make the prequel trilogy. He released the originals on DVD (in a limited set) for all the crybaby purist. I like most of the changes and watching my original release DVDs, some of the original fx were kind of bad by todays standards. The prequels are well liked by the younger generation while us old school fans had 20 years to imagine what they would be like in our heads. Unfortunately for most, George saw something different. We all need to appreciate the material Lucas has given us and stop bashing him for not making HIS films the way YOU want them. Crystal Skull is not great but it is treated like it the worst film ever and it is far from it. I don't blame Lucas for being pissy lately at all. We have been ungrateful fans.

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Lucas has done nothing wrong. He updated his films so he could make the prequel trilogy...The prequels are well liked by the younger generation while us old school fans had 20 years to imagine what they would be like in our heads. Unfortunately for most, George saw something different.

After 20 years of imagining, Lucas presented something which was so far removed from Star Wars that the bootleg DVD I watched Phantom Menace on might well have been of one of those Turkish knock-off films.

The Prequels only began to become Star Wars-like in the last minutes of Revenge of the Sith. And then Lucas went Frankenstein's monster with Vader.
slap1.gif

What hurt the Prequels, and will also hurt SW VII, is the sensibility that prevents the 'good guys' from going medieval on human 'bad guys'. Instead Lucas gave us those wacky light-relief battle droids to be sliced and diced.

Henry W Jones said:
He released the originals on DVD (in a limited set) for all the crybaby purist.

What's "crybaby" about wanting access to the classic/original version of films? I have the limited edition tin box set, so at least I have recourse to the unadulterated films.

Henry W Jones said:
I like most of the changes and watching my original release DVDs, some of the original fx were kind of bad by todays standards.

Some of the CGI in the Special Editions is dodgy as well. 'Cutting edge' technology left us with an awful Jabba in Star Wars, and the facepalm moment of Han stepping on the Hutt's tail. George should have left it alone until the technology really was up to the task. His revisioning of the Original Trilogy was often as unconvincing as his vision for the Prequels.

At least with Disney the hand of Lucas will be removed. Star Wars has a chance, even if it probably won't be as gritty or brutal as some of the scenes in the originals.

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
After 20 years of imagining, Lucas presented something which was so far removed from Star Wars that the bootleg DVD I watched Phantom Menace on might well have been of one of those Turkish knock-off films.

I agree, but once again not my films, not my choice.

Montana Smith said:
The Prequels only began to become Star Wars-like in the last minutes of Revenge of the Sith. And then Lucas went Frankenstein's monster with Vader.
slap1.gif

There were lots of great SW moments through out the prequels along with a lot of not so great ones. Agreed, FrankenVader is terrible

Montana Smith said:
What hurt the Prequels, and will also hurt SW VII, is the sensibility that prevents the 'good guys' from going medieval on human 'bad guys'. Instead Lucas gave us those wacky light-relief battle droids to be sliced and diced.

I agree Battle Droids are weak villains and are geared towards kids. But I am not gonna say before the scripts even been started what will hurt this new trilogy. How do any of us know who the new bad guys will be. EU says the Empire still exist and is full of humans to kill. I think assuming the worst is pretty negative though I will approach the new film with caution.

Montana Smith said:
What's "crybaby" about wanting access to the classic/original version of films? I have the limited edition tin box set, so at least I have recourse to the unadulterated films.

We have them so we no reason to be upset, I think anyone seeing it for the first time won't care and if you wanted it unaltered you had and probably have with ebay your chance to get them unaltered. I'm tired of everyone wanting it on BluRay. You want it pure but originally it did not come in 7.1 surround and 1080p.

Some of the CGI in the Special Editions is dodgy as well. 'Cutting edge' technology left us with an awful Jabba in Star Wars, and the facepalm moment of Han stepping on the Hutt's tail. George should have left it alone until the technology really was up to the task. His revisioning of the Original Trilogy was often as unconvincing as his vision for the Prequels.

They fixed Jabba and he looks a lot better. Due to the way they shot it in the 70's made it hard not to have him step on his tail. But at least now since they redid that CGI Jabba looks pretty pissed about him doing it and shakes his fist at him.

Montana Smith said:
At least with Disney the hand of Lucas will be removed. Star Wars has a chance, even if it probably won't be as gritty or brutal as some of the scenes in the originals.

Did you forget the beheading in AOTC and in ROTS? I know they were not graphic but they get the point made. What about Anakin killing the youngling? What about the Jedi being slaughtered by Clone Troopers? Or Anakin being cut in half and burning alive on screen? How graphic did you want it? Scarface chainsaw?

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Did you forget the beheading in AOTC and in ROTS? I know they were not graphic but they get the point made. What about Anakin killing the youngling? What about the Jedi being slaughtered by Clone Troopers? Or Anakin being cut in half and burning alive on screen? How graphic did you want it? Scarface chainsaw?

Apart from Obi-Wan vs. Anakin, which was already envisaged in the OT, the rest conforms to the sensibilities I noted earlier.

Between the OT and the Special Editions Lucas had a change of heart. He gained a conscience with a view to his audience and the role models he thought he should be presenting. As indicated by Han no longer being seen to shoot first.

With the PT he couldn't have the Jedi cutting up humans. He didn't even supplant humans with a fearsome droid army, but watered the universe down to the point where the droids were pathetic buffoons, to whom 'death' was a welcome relief both for themselves and the audience.

The fire went out of the SW universe, just as it did out of Indy's - that guy who once slaughtered his way through a German convoy to claim the prize.

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
Apart from Obi-Wan vs. Anakin, which was already envisaged in the OT, the rest conforms to the sensibilities I noted earlier.

Between the OT and the Special Editions Lucas had a change of heart. He gained a conscience with a view to his audience and the role models he thought he should be presenting. As indicated by Han no longer being seen to shoot first.

With the PT he couldn't have the Jedi cutting up humans. He didn't even supplant humans with a fearsome droid army, but watered the universe down to the point where the droids were pathetic buffoons, to whom 'death' was a welcome relief both for themselves and the audience.

The fire went out of the SW universe, just as it did out of Indy's - that guy who once slaughtered his way through a German convoy to claim the prize.

I get what you are saying, but if you were younger generation you'd probably like you. The
problem is, we grew up with the original and like most people we don't like change. While I agree that they are watered down, I also know that people who grew up with the prequels, have a tendency to like them better. So in the words of Obi " Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view "

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
I get what you are saying, but if you were younger generation you'd probably like you. The
problem is, we grew up with the original and like most people we don't like change. While I agree that they are watered down, I also know that people who grew up with the prequels, have a tendency to like them better. So in the words of Obi " Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view "

It was Lucas who changed. Sometime after TLC his attitude to both Star Wars and Indiana Jones became radically different.

Indy was exploited for pseudo-educational purposes in the TV series. Star Wars gained heightened conscience, and the Prequels became a quasi-political treatise told in dumbed down language and imagery.

The Prequels were at odds with themselves. Something Baudrillardian about the construction of power through the construction of opposition. It could have been a noble effort, if only it had been told with more sincerity. Sincerity through dialogue and character.

What Lucas attempted was an uneasy marriage of space opera and education, directed at a fairly young audience.

With Disney I don't know what we'll get, but it won't be tied to the mind of George. A New Republic and a Remnant Empire presents the opportunity of a fresh start.

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
It was Lucas who changed. Sometime after TLC his attitude to both Star Wars and Indiana Jones became radically different.

Indy was exploited for pseudo-educational purposes in the TV series. Star Wars gained heightened conscience, and the Prequels became a quasi-political treatise told in dumbed down language and imagery.

The Prequels were at odds with themselves. Something Baudrillardian about the construction of power through the construction of opposition. It could have been a noble effort, if only it had been told with more sincerity. Sincerity through dialogue and character.

What Lucas attempted was an uneasy marriage of space opera and education, directed at a fairly young audience.

With Disney I don't know what we'll get, but it won't be tied to the mind of George. A New Republic and a Remnant Empire presents the opportunity of a fresh start.

The Young Indy series was good though.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
The Young Indy series was good though.

It was well made, and stuffed with things to look at.

But it doesn't feel like genuine Indy. A contrived exercise for an ulterior motive. Just as KOTCS was a contrived exercise in bringing Indy back after too long an absence.

Without Lucas' contrivances SW VII is a more hopeful prospect.

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
It was well made, and stuffed with things to look at.

But it doesn't feel like genuine Indy. A contrived exercise for an ulterior motive. Just as KOTCS was a contrived exercise in bringing Indy back after too long an absence.

Without Lucas' contrivances SW VII is a more hopeful prospect.

It felt like genuine Indy to me :whip:I don't think Indy came out of the womb with a fedora on his head and a whip and revolver in his hands, in full garb, already hunting for antiquities. Young Indy was a "contrived exercise" with the ulterior motive of showing Indy's youth, just as Raiders was a "contrived execercise" with the ulterior motive of Lucas and Spielberg getting their rocks off remaking the old serials of their youth and introducing that genre to a new generation, etc etc.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
It felt like genuine Indy to me :whip:I don't think Indy came out of the womb with a fedora on his head and a whip and revolver in his hands, in full garb, already hunting for antiquities. Young Indy was a "contrived exercise" with the ulterior motive of showing Indy's youth, just as Raiders was a "contrived execercise" with the ulterior motive of Lucas and Spielberg getting their rocks off remaking the old serials of their youth and introducing that genre to a new generation, etc etc.

It was contrived in that he met so many movers and shakers of the day just so George could introduce them to the kids.

When he met Kafka even the adventure became a surreal exercise, as though stepping into one of the author's novels.

The TV series was more unrealistic, in terms of style, than surviving a fall from an aeroplane in a life raft, because the Indy films were about the pulp serial. But George saw an opportunity to push his growing interest in education. The pulp serials which inspired Indy were cerebrally unchallenging films intended to keep a child's interest from one week to the next. Lucas and Spielberg's motive had been to update them for a modern audience. The education aspect is something unrelated and 'out of character', in that the films were intentionally, and unintentionally, full of so many factual errors.

It was the beginning of the end for Indy, considering the mess that happened in 2008. In the midst of that came the mess that were the SW Prequels.

Hence, as before, keeping these thoughts on topic, Lucas selling Indy and Star Wars is the best thing that could happen to them. There's a chance of seeing something of a more classic nature, rather than something that's the product of a mind no longer in step with the original creations.

Last edited: