The Indy Cast

indycast

Hi guys,

we will be speaking with Laird Malamed in a future episode of the IndyCast. Laird was the Assistant Sound Editor on the Young Indy Chronicles and now works in the video game industry (Guitar Hero anyone???)

I would love to have some questions from the listeners that you may want me to pass on about his time on the show or working with George Lucas and Ben Burtt!

Email me your questions at indycast@forcecast.net

Cheers,

Ed

indycast

IndyCast: Episode 82 - Harrison ready for Indy 5!

In this episode Indy fans hearts worldwide skip a beat as the man in the hat himself says he's ready for Indy 5, see what Indy would look like if he really was in the 1950s, have 2 Top 10's in a bumper segment, a classic Temple of Doom review, go back to the drive-in and all the usual suspects are back with Mitch Rob and Pat. So, sit back and relax as we take a look at what?s making news in the world of Indiana Jones this week!

Check out the episode here!

Plus if anyone wants to take pity on me and vote for me in the 'Connery Off' cast your vote here: http://www.theindyopinion.com/ConneryContest.html :eek:

Raiders at the Drive-In! Thanks for the "peek"...
Rob, I can save the franchise! You got it by the way, but Brother Pedro was able to sneek it through first. Here's a little hint going into the next one, the last few have had a thread running through which will continue in the next question...

There a bit of a head start!:hat:

Unfortunately, we have had to close voting on the Sean Connery Voice-Off poll due to some fan or fans attempting to cheat in behalf of their favorite contestant. Sorry to those who did not get a chance to vote in the poll or those who did and feel that their vote was rendered irrelevant by someone circumventing the poll system and casting multiple votes. Tune in to the next episode of the IndyCast to hear the details of the final results in the competition.

That's a shame! But I thought Lito jumping out to a 200 vote lead smelled fishy! What are the highest vote totals from the past polls? Did you EVER get over 200 votes?

DocWhiskey

Rocket Surgeon said:
That's a shame! But I thought Lito jumping out to a 200 vote lead smelled fishy! What are the highest vote totals from the past polls? Did you EVER get over 200 votes?

Yeah, same here. I think I got around 7 votes. Sounds about right.:(

DoomTown

Well, it was said on Lito's Facebook page that most of his friends voted for him; so that would explain the high number...I bet they didn't even listen to the other entries,or the Indy-cast for that matter. I wonder if those same people will vote on "The best sidekick" poll this week??? Doubtful. :rolleyes:

Rocket Surgeon said:

The most votes we have had on a regular poll is right around 70. Lito is a member of SAG with quite a few fans who read his blog and a lot of friends as well, and he mentioned the contest in the blog. So he had quite a bit of built-in support with people that are fans of his, and his big lead was actually from legitimate votes. Nothing fishy there unless you are fundamentally opposed to people who don't listen to the IndyCast voting in the contest, which is what it is. These are public polls and anyone that can find the website can vote on them.

The cheating actually started in Ed's behalf. Let me make this clear: Ed had NOTHING TO DO WITH IT! He was pretty shocked when I told him what had happened. Someone obviously just decided to start cheating in his behalf and voting over and over from their computer (exposing a fatal flaw in Vizu's polling software). Then someone else started doing the same for Lito to counteract the person cheating to help Ed win. Before long we had about 400 votes that weren't legitimate and only a little over 300 that were. The only thing to do was cancel the contest.

This whole thing has ended up being a big pain in the neck for me. Why someone felt the need to cheat for someone in a contest with no tangible prize is beyond me, but it definitely spoiled the fun of the competition for me. (n)

drwynn

Rocket Surgeon said:

RocketSurgeon - The votes I received for the IndyCast in both the first and second round were ABSOLUTELY legitimate. It's easy to tell if votes of Vizu polls are legit; if you click on the "Comment" link in the lower left-hand corner of the voting box, it opened another page that contained a geographic map of the world which also displayed all the voting information on it. Legit votes show up on the map as little colored balloons...and if you moved your cursor on top of the balloon, it shows you what time the vote was placed, the day it was placed, who was voted for, and the original city the vote was placed from. If one bothered to check that data map in either round of the contest, they could see that the votes were spread all over the world as well as the fact that there were corresponding "balloons" for every vote placed.

I do have a lot of support, as Rob mentioned, but it didn't just come from "friends" (as asserted by Keith). It came from my wife, people SHE informed, co-workers (people who work with me in voice-over) who listen to the IndyCast (not every single person who listens votes in EVERY Indy Opinion), people I don't even KNOW, etc.

So, in short, there was nothing "fishy" about the votes I received. They were real, actual, legit votes.

KVoss said:
Well, it was said on Lito's Facebook page that most of his friends voted for him; so that would explain the high number...I bet they didn't even listen to the other entries,or the Indy-cast for that matter. I wonder if those same people will vote on "The best sidekick" poll this week??? Doubtful. :rolleyes:

Keith - Every person that gave me feedback on my impression claimed to have listened to ALL the other impressions.

I know because many of them took the time to contact me either through email, Facebook, my blog, my wife (she forwarded emails with people's opinions to me), etc...and many of them who voted ACTUALLY commented on the other impressions as well. Many said they thought my "toughest competition" was Doc Whiskey...or they would say how they thought Ed nailed the "voice cracking" or whatever.

And I truly mean it when I say people I don't even know voted for me; the parents of one of my wife's co-workers wrote my wife an email saying something like, "We found out about the poll from our daughter, Melissa. We're actually HUGE Connery fans... We listened to all the clips and we thought Lito's actually WAS the best." But, in their defense, they claim they DID listen to all of the entries. Why would people who don't even know us lie about something like that?

And to address the concerns of some of the voters not being IndyCast "regular" listeners... I'm sure some weren't. But, if Rob wanted to limit the participation to ONLY IndyCast listeners, he probably could've found a way to do that. But, Rob HIMSELF said in an email to me (one he sent following this voting "incident") "I never had a problem with people who didn't listen to the show voting on the poll. What difference does that make as long as they listen to the impressions on the site?" So, there it is.

Last edited:
drwynn said:
It's easy to tell if votes of Vizu polls are legit; if you click on the "Comment" link in the lower left-hand corner of the voting box, it opened another page that contained a geographic map of the world which also displayed all the voting information on it. Legit votes show up on the map as little colored balloons...and if you moved your cursor on top of the balloon, it shows you what time the vote was placed, the day it was placed, who was voted for, and the original city the vote was placed from.

Exactly. And the system is set up so that if you change your mind, you can re-vote, but it will not count as a new vote. In other words, if you had already voted and decided you wanted to change it, and there are 21 votes on a poll, you can change your vote and the total number of votes will stay at 21 - the division of votes will just change. The pin on the map would update at your location with the new information.

But there is a little process that someone can follow that will allow them to continue voting over and over, with each vote counting as if it was a brand new vote from a brand new person. But, since they are in the same location, there would not be a new pin made on the map for each of these votes. And basically, by the time I closed the poll, the map (which is set up to show the last 500 votes) showed only 14 pin marks. :eek:

Before someone started circumventing the poll system, there were pin marks everywhere which revealed that Lito had jumped out to a commanding lead and was receiving votes from unique voters all over the world. There was nothing "fishy."

drwynn said:
And to address the concerns of some of the voters not being IndyCast "regular" listeners... I'm sure some weren't. But, if Rob wanted to limit the participation to ONLY IndyCast listeners, he probably could've found a way to do that. But, Rob HIMSELF said in an email to me (one he sent following this voting "incident") "I never had a problem with people who didn't listen to the show voting on the poll. What difference does that make as long as they listen to the impressions on the site?" So, there it is.

Right-o. There is no way to police whether or not someone listens to all the impressions before they vote, and while I'd obviously prefer that someone listens to the IndyCast, this poll was set up specifically for the Connery competition. So someone could make a fair decision and cast an honest vote without listening to the show, because all of the details and impressions were right there on the poll site. The only problem, in my view, started when some decided to throw out honesty and integrity and attempt to skew the numbers.

Neither Lito or Ed should have to defend themselves after this. They were not at fault in any way. :hat:

I suppose if anyone deserves blame besides the people who decided to cheat the poll, it's me for not knowing that it was this easy to cheat Vizu's polling system. :eek: And for that I apologize. I'm still going to use Vizu for now because I don't think anyone is invested enough in any of the normal polls to cheat (the numbers would indicate that no one has been up until now, anyways), but if someone does start trying to skew our regular polls I'll have to think of something else.

drwynn said:
RocketSurgeon - The votes I received for the IndyCast in both the first and second round were ABSOLUTELY legitimate.

Dr, I take you at your word... but really,who cares? If you look at what I posted all I had to consider was what Rob said on the Indy Cast and wrote on his site. The only suspicious thing about ANY of it was 200 people voting. I listen to the Indy Cast, and while Rob doesn't usually quote numbers there has been the odd occasion where he's mentioned them, like now.

My apologies if you're upset, it's not my intention. I was merely reacting to the competition, which I had some hand in promoting, closing.

As Rob mentions the polls are not strictly for the Indy Cast, although this single poll seems to have been the abberation, and in my opinion a shame really. I don't subscribe to the various on-line social networks and I can't help but wonder what the competition would have been like if it had been like the submissions, a listener competition.

So based on the podcast and the website, I'm sure you could agree 200 votes seems fishy...and not to beat a dead horse:
robisindy said:
Then someone else started doing the same for Lito to counteract the person cheating to help Ed win.

This doesn't help the "legimtimate votes" you received.

From what I know, which is legitimately slim, (podcast/rob's poll site), I don't see a difference in you garnering votes that you're lobbied for whether they're ALL from actors across the globe or Ed garners votes from a school full of kids he teaches in Australia. This example doesn't help your explanation regarding determining legitimate votes.

This of course is entirely up to Rob and his judgement, and he's made his opinion clear.

My apologies if this is coming off poorly, your impression was very funny, (Doc, yours most of all!;) ) Congratulations on your win!:hat:

drwynn

Rocket Surgeon said:
Dr, I take you at your word... but really,who cares?
Well, obviously you do if you took the time to comment on the matter here in the forums. And, obviously I do as well... I didn't like the fact that I and people I know who voted for me were being raked over the coals here in the forums.

Rocket Surgeon said:
I was merely reacting to the competition, which I had some hand in promoting, closing.
Explain "promoting, closing"?

Rocket Surgeon said:
robisindy said:
Then someone else started doing the same for Lito to counteract the person cheating to help Ed win.
This doesn't help the "legimtimate votes" you received.

It seems like you're asserting that all the false votes I received to seemingly offset the ones Ed did somehow makes the legit votes I received less legit. How does that make any sense? You're right, it DOESN'T help when people cheat in my defense. I never said I was happy about or condoned it. But the simple fact remains that it's been established by Vizu's system AND Rob what are considered legitimate votes (and you know perfectly well what I'm referring to when I use the word legitimate; votes that show up ON the map because they're not being cast by the same person...over and over again).

Rocket Surgeon said:
From what I know, which is legitimately slim, (podcast/rob's poll site), I don't see a difference in you garnering votes that you're lobbied for whether they're ALL from actors across the globe or Ed garners votes from a school full of kids he teaches in Australia.
There IS no difference between my receiving votes from co-workers, friends, or family and Ed receiving votes from his entire school. And if he had, and those votes had shown up on the map...I don't think ANYONE (including myself) would've objected to that. Although, based on your reaction to my receiving votes from "outsiders", I have to wonder how you would've reacted had Ed received 300 votes from school children.

Rocket Surgeon said:
This example doesn't help your explanation regarding determining legitimate votes.
Not quite sure what you're driving at here...but even you have to admit there's a clear difference between ONE person casting 200 votes from ONE computer and 100 different people around the world casting individual votes from separate computers.

Rocket Surgeon said:
This of course is entirely up to Rob and his judgement, and he's made his opinion clear.
Indeed, and in the end I suppose that's what counts.

Rocket Surgeon said:
My apologies if this is coming off poorly, your impression was very funny, (Doc, yours most of all! ) Congratulations on your win!
I believe you when you say you weren't out to upset me...but it just seems like you're repeatedly trying to make the same point; my lead and win aren't "legit" in your eyes because people outside of IndyCast "regular" listeners voted and promoted the contest on my behalf.

What came "off poorly" was reading other members basically asserting that my leads were "fishy" because of the large margins, or that people who voted for me "didn't even listen to the other entries". You can ask "who cares?" all you want...but if the tables had been turned, I venture a guess that you'd probably be a bit miffed as well.

In the end I guess what I've learned is that other listeners of the IndyCast seem to ONLY want those said people voting in these polls. And that getting support from "outsiders" is viewed as a somewhat sacrilegious thing (although, for the record...at least FIVE people I know who regularly listen to the IndyCast voted in this contest even though they NEVER voted in any other IndyOpinion poll including; my wife, my cousin, and three of my other friends).

You won't have to worry about repeat occurrences/problems on my behalf...this whole experience has turned me off to participating in the IndyCast in any way whatsoever. I'll still listen, but that's about it.

Cheers.

Last edited:

lao che & sons

Geeze! I've been behind on the indycast news and can't wait forn episode 83.
I am mpost dissapointed to find that someone cheated in this poll ... Get a life! For god's sake. Are bragging rights really that great? I am just shocked.

But that's the world we live in. Nothing is ever done honestly and few people understand the value of hard work. :mad:

oh well. Will there be an episode tommorrow? or will I have to wait another 2 weeks?I sure hope not. :D

DocWhiskey

lao che & sons said:
oh well. Will there be an episode tommorrow? or will I have to wait another 2 weeks?I sure hope not. :D

Unfortunately, I believe waiting 2 weeks is the case. But Ed is a busy man! He needs a break!

Rocket Surgeon said:
My apologies if this is coming off poorly, your impression was very funny, (Doc, yours most of all!;)

Haha. Thank you, Rocket.

Is it sad that I actually tried to be serious?

But as long as it entertained, then my job is done.

drwynn

DocWhiskey said:
Is it sad that I actually tried to be serious?

But as long as it entertained, then my job is done.

I don't think it's sad that you tried to be serious, Doc. I thought it showed in your impression...it was very good. And, I took it pretty seriously as well (as you can see by my reaction to the ballot box stuffing incident and all the backlash against me)...I mean, it's part of what I do for a living (voiceover and impressions) so, I couldn't help but take it somewhat seriously.

Good on ya', I say! You approached it with a somewhat serious attitude and it paid off...because I thought you sounded damn good!

indycast

Aloha guys - I've made it back down under and am ready for next week's episode of the IndyCast - should be a full episode so not too long a wait now!

And sorry about the Connery Off result - Rob, thanks for all the work you did and Lito - well done on a great impression - I don't think that even if I did get my students in on it to vote it would've helped....maybe if we do this again, perhaps we could do the Australian Climber impersonation - I may have a shot at that one!

BTW - I could really get used to Honolulu....what a beautiful part of the world!

Mahalo!

:hat:
DocWhiskey said:
Haha. Thank you, Rocket. Is it sad that I actually tried to be serious? But as long as it entertained, then my job is done.

Dude! There wasn't a single entry that I could have mistaken for Sean Connery!

The competition accomplished EXACTLY what it set out to! We got one great laugh after another!

Thanks to EVERYONE who had the balls to enter! it was friggin fantastic!

It's not sad you tried to be serious...I tried too! Don't worry it didn't deter from the humor one bit!

Thanks again guys! I hoped you laughed as much as I did!:hat:

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
I am waiting for the Sallah Sing-Off!.......... that would be funny!!!!!!!!!!

1..2.. 1..2..3...
"A British Star is a soaring soul as free as a mountain....