Ep. 2: London, May 1916

Flannery10

VP said:
Seems to me that you're reviewing the edited episode called Love's Sweet Song instead of the original episode 2: London, May 1916 which this thread is about and what you implied in the first sentence of your review.

You're absolutely right and I'm sorry about that mistake. I just wanted to say that I think the two episodes make a fine connection, since they're more about emotions than action and aventure. I don't belong to the group of people that's really opposed to the linking of two episodes, although I really liked Old Indy and his emotional role in the London episode was so great, I just wanted to mention that, too. So, my appologies again.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
VP said:
Seems to me that you're reviewing the edited episode called Love's Sweet Song instead of the original episode 2: London, May 1916 which this thread is about and what you implied in the first sentence of your review.

Seems to me it isn't necessary to get that self-righteous about something that doesn't really count for much.

Matinee Idyll

The user bpp127 posted this on the imdb Young Indy boards (nice to see you flying the flag over there Adam ;))...

"I just rewatched the London episode for the first time since I was about 8. I've had a crush on Vicky my entire life and never knew it was Elizabeth Hurley until the other night... talk about a revelation."

That's so heartbreakingly lovely.

It mirrors my own situation so closely... the character of Vicky so enchanted me as a young boy, I was spellbound. The relationship she had with Indy so indicitive of what I've been yearning for in a relationship ever since. Haven't found the girl yet, but I still hope. :)

Ahh, I'll go out on a limb... I'd rather watch 'London, 1916' than any of the Indy feature films. It moves me profoundly, which is ultimately far more important than truck chases and snake pits and melting people.

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Matinee Idyll said:
Ahh, I'll go out on a limb... I'd rather watch 'London, 1916' than any of the Indy feature films. It moves me profoundly, which is ultimately far more important than truck chases and snake pits and melting people.

I feel that way about YIJC as a whole. (y)

Adamwankenobi

Matinee Idyll said:
How'd you get into the show?

I first got into the show back in '99 when Peacock's Eye was bundled with the trilogy VHS set. I watched it over and over, but was never able to find any of the other tapes where I lived. I watched several of the re-edited episodes that aired on USA in '99, and did some research online and discovered all about the origins and production of the series, and was hoping that the DVD release would include the original episodes. I've watched all subsequent airings of the re-edits on USA and Sci-Fi, and all of the original episodes that are on YouTube and have watched every airing of the re-edits and related documentaries on the History Channel and History International. It was frustrating to dscover that the official DVDs don't have the original episodes on them. Now I'm working on tracking down some decent quality bootlegs of the original episodes, as I've come to realize that we will probably never see the original episodes in an official release. :( :(

Last edited:

Stoo

Not exciting news but thought I'd mention...

This episode is unique for its transitions to the commercial spots. There are horizontal & vertical
screen wipes before/after the breaks instead of just fading to/from black. The most effective is
the 1st break which comes as Vicky's bus pulls away. A horizontal wipe follows the speed & direction
of the bus. It's a nice touch!

Being the first "regular" episode, it's curious as to why the wipes were discontinued so abruptly.

Alexandria

All I know is that I LOVE that episode, oh, and it's on youtube too. In case no one has already posted the links:
>> Part 1-with Bookend! http://youtube.com/watch?v
=ls0JxAC2xOw

>>Part two-where Indy gets in trouble for propositioning a London widow :rolleyes: . (I would of reacted the same way she did)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QX0jT38Cdbc

Part three- Indy starts to have a thing for Vicky, and the suffragette meeting. Go INDY! (y) the famous language duel is in here too. :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zs1onzpnmms

Part Four- Indy walks Vicky home, and helps a poor family on the way. He's too cute, ahh! Indy asks Vicky to visit someone in Oxford. Vicky causes a scene.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FXnyAbUt-Is

Part Five- Vicky causes a scene, again! LOL!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nPpbDL00tq4

Part six- Indy and Vicky frolic through the countryside, it's SO beautiful!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2O9VQqsOSOM

part Seven- so sad :(
http://youtube.com/watch?v=X5Jm-11_rcY

Part eight- :( The end with the bookend.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aWyXhNiwhRY

I'm sorry if these have been posted already. I hope you enjoy. They're not of the highest quality, but they work! ;)
It's my favorite that I've seen of Young Indy. (y)

phantom train

Just wanted to give a shout-out to this episode as it was originally released; I remember seeing this back in '92 (the Fall?!) when it first came out on US TV and being very moved by this; it's definitely one of the best episodes of the entire series.

- First, it was a great depiction of WW I-era London, i.e. the air raids, suffragetes, etc.

- The relationship between Indy & Vicky Prentiss was very tastefully/elegantly presented, and the sequences when they were travelling through the England countryside were especially impressive - the natural scenery really added to the poignancy of these scenes. And the ending (when Indy left for the war @ the train station) was quite sad.

- The George Hall bookends (having old Indy meet old Vicky in the '90's) was touching, and gives an additional dimension to the episode. However, I'm undecided as to whether the episode is better with the bookends or without them.

Last edited:

Stoo

Hey, phantom train. Your memory may be getting cloudy because it aired in the spring and was the first regular 1 hour episode after "Curse of the Jackal".;)

In any case, yes, excellent episode! When first watching it on TV, I thought it was going to be incredibly boring but the performances and love story/rejection grabbed me hook, line & sinker. (With regards to the emotional level, the music also played a large factor.)

This chapter also solidified Ms. Seymour's authority over Indy and the respect he had for her. When he & Vicky show up at her house, I like the way she immediately reprimands Indy and then treats Vicky like a proper guest.

It was also enjoyable (for me) to see Winston Churchill included because he is one of my real-life heroes. (Though I didn't quite care for the actor they chose to portray him.)

The bookends are unique in that Vicky is the only character from Indy's early days who appears in the '90s. Maybe they had another fling with some short-lived 'splendour in the grass'?

Crack that whip

This is a personal favorite for me, too (out of a whole series I just generally adore, so it's saying something), and (in its current incarnation as half of "Love's Sweet Song) one of the initial handful of installments I chose to show a friend of mine (now my girlfriend) to help "sell" her on the show, so that she'd want to watch the whole series with me.
:whip:

phantom train

Hey, Stoo. Thanks for the correction re: the original airing date of this episode. After I posted, I looked this up and realized it had aired in Spring of '92 and not in the Fall.

In any case, I agree this was a specatular episode; as you mentioned, it was nice to see an older Ms. Seymour after we had seen her as little Indy's nanny in Jackal (the actress was apparently aged for this London 1916 episode).

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
(in its current incarnation as half of "Love's Sweet Song) one of the initial handful of installments I chose to show a friend of mine (now my girlfriend) to help "sell" her on the show, so that she'd want to watch the whole series with me.
:whip:
I remember you writing about that, Crack! The re-packaged title of, "Love's Sweet Song", is quite appropriate.;)
phantom train said:
In any case, I agree this was a specatular episode; as you mentioned, it was nice to see an older Ms. Seymour after we had seen her as little Indy's nanny in Jackal (the actress was apparently aged for this London 1916 episode).
Really?:confused: I've never noticed any difference. Where did you read/find out about Margaret Tyzack being 'aged' for this episode?

phantom train

Stoo said:
I remember you writing about that, Crack! The re-packaged title of, "Love's Sweet Song", is quite appropriate.;)
Really?:confused: I've never noticed any difference. Where did you read/find out about Margaret Tyzack being 'aged' for this episode?

Stoo, I could be completely wrong about this & I never actually read/heard that M. Tyzack had been aged for the episode. However, IMHO it does appear that she looks older in this London 1916 episode than in the episodes with the little Indy (Corey Carrier); this would make sense, since there is about a 7-year time period that takes place between, for example, the British East Africa 1909 episode & the London 1916 episode. That all being said, I will admit it may just be my perception that she looked older.

Sven

While I was researching for props for my YIJ collection I discovered a goof in this episode. I could get the "LE MIROIR" magazine, the Belgian officer is reading in his recruiting office:

http://youtu.be/AM-kwrwfPJE?t=49m47s

3365633963313636.jpg

Well...this Episode is London, May 1916 but the paper was published in November of that year... ;)