the untouchables

indydude

how many of ya have seen that 1987 movie called the untouchables with sean connery? I think it is a great movie.

EvilNazi

yes, and some cast. kevin costner, sean connery, andy garcia and specially robert deniro. that guy is the genius of acting.

i saw on tv that robert deniro wanted to use the same silk underwear like al capone even though that couldnt be seen in the movie. i guess he wanted to get into character, also below the waist.

anyway, great movie, great score by ennio morricone.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Takes some historical liberties, certainly, but it's probably one of the best films of the past 20 years. Kevin Costner's first big role, and he portrayed Elliot Ness's steely idealism rather well. As has been mentioned, De Niro was also excellent. And of course, Connery won the Best Supporting Actor Award at the Oscars for his performance.

I'd like to throw in another word for the great, great composer Ennio Morricone, someone who we in America mostly know for his work with Sergio Leone (perhaps one of the best director/composer collaborations) but had an extremely prolific career in Italy apart from what we know him for, including Cinema Paradiso.

Patrick

Hey. I was watching History channel and It had like a television series. I think it was on at like midnight eastern time. Also, There was a black and white one on, Not that good but worth a watch on 5 pm eastern as well. I only saw a bit of the one I think you're talking about though.

Yanar

Attila the Professor said:
Takes some historical liberties, certainly, but it's probably one of the best films of the past 20 years. Kevin Costner's first big role, and he portrayed Elliot Ness's steely idealism rather well. As has been mentioned, De Niro was also excellent. And of course, Connery won the Best Supporting Actor Award at the Oscars for his performance.

I'd like to throw in another word for the great, great composer Ennio Morricone, someone who we in America mostly know for his work with Sergio Leone (perhaps one of the best director/composer collaborations) but had an extremely prolific career in Italy apart from what we know him for, including Cinema Paradiso.

well, I'm with you all the way. one of my favorite films

but it isn't very well known any more.....if you go on the street and ask someone about it, no one knows it, expect us movie buffs :D........and ithasn't won big or been mentioned or anything! Costner, Connery, Garcia, DeNiro.....what an all star cast

and yes, I agree, the score was excellent, one of the best I've heard. probubly the only non-james bond and non-John Williams score that I really love

the suspence theme is one of my favorite peices of music.

the other them is good too (the one that is played during the raid on the bridge...and during elliot's walk down the street at the end)............I once downloaded it from napster a few years back....and even my sister always played it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

overall, a great film, some of my favorite scenes:

-malone's murder......suspence theme plays at it's full glory.....you are dieing with suspence......huge surprises.....WOW.............and how about when ness finds him "WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TA...DO???? Uhhhhhhhhhhggggg..........."

-the final fight between Ness and Netti.........HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!.....very suspenceful, great music.....good lines too "where is Netti?" he's in the car".......throwing Netti off......WOW!!..................when Costner flicks open the matchbox, the suspence theme plays in the BG "1634 Racine (I think) you know, I use to have a friend who lived there" you KNOW that a great scene is coming.................................

-switching the jury, capone's man enters a plee of guilty "never stop fighting 'til the fight is done!"......a good scene.......in real life they DID switch the jury, but everything else about that scene is made-up

I can go on and on.....great film

like Patrick, my interest in the untouchables began with the history channel...kinda

I first got interest in them with the MOTB episode of YIJC

then an episode of 'hystery's mysteries" on the untouchables

researched:

-saw the film

there were 2 TV series:

-50's...black and white

-90's...made in france?????

indydude

I am a huge fan of gangsta movies set in the 20's and 30's, and the Untouchables is one of my favorite movies overall, it was very well made. "he's in the car" definately was a great line.

EvilNazi

Attila the Professor said:

yeah, ennio morricone is a very good composer. he is also responsible for a very known soundtrack of a western, which is better known than the movie itself: "the good, the bad and the ugly" with clint eastwood ina spaghetti western.

he also did the music of "for a fistful of dollars" also with clint eastwood and like atilla said, cinema paradiso.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I might as well list all of Morricone's collaborations with Leone, since we all seem to agree that he is a great film composer, and many mentioned Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West as a great Western.

A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
Duck, You Sucker (a.k.a. A Fistful of Dynamite)
My Name is Nobody
Once Upon a Time in America

And one from 1975 I've never heard of until now, known by various names, including:

The Genius
Genius, The
A Genius, Two Friends, and an Idiot
Nobody's the Greatest
Trinity Is Back Again

Patrick

Yes, I've read it. I must say your fanworks are truly awesome. I'll might as well sign as PAPER BOY. Seeing that is my new nickname. So yeah... I usually write stuff 'cause I'm bored. And I'm sick.PAPER BOY

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Renderking Fisk said:
It's an awesome site and I shouldn't get even half the credit. Aaron posts what I write but he's always giving me suggestions on how to tweak thing this way or that.

With one rare exception, you'll never read a review of a movie that sucks. If it's not there, I haven't reviewed it yet or it's a stinker.

Ah yes, Bowling for Columbine. Admittedly, perhaps he does do the hard sell when it comes to his ideas, but I think it's going a bit far to call it both Fascist and Communist. Not to mention the bit about it being a remake of Triumph of the Will - that might be pushing it.

00Kevin

Indyfan
ah yes, the untouchables

well, I was introduced to elliot ness in the MOTB episode of Young indy

I love this movie, it's one of the best films ever....very underated

the script were prefect
the dialog perfect
the action was smashing
the music was amasing, beyond perfect.....wow, amoung the best music of the past few decades

I did I project on prohibition yesterday, one of my partner's forgot what he was suppose to say and we didn't do very well....but still, we showed a clip for the untouchables (the canadian raid).....it was the high point of the day, but perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned how Malone gets that one guy to talk by using the one gy's corpse ;)

anywho....great movie

Joe Brody

RENTON: What about The Untouchables?
SICK BOY: I don't rate that at all.
RENTON: Despite the Academy Award?
SICK BOY: That means f*** all. The sympathy vote.
RENTON: Right. So we all get old and then we can't hack it anymore. Is
that it?
SICK BOY: Yeah.
RENTON: That's your theory?
SICK BOY: Yeah. Beautifully f***ing illustrated.

Sorry about that. . . .I do love that scene.

Kate

I found this movie quite quite violent, but the 1920's fascinate me, so I liked it a lot.