The thing you and ONLY you think you noticed

ValenciaGrail

Indy takes off Sallah's fez

IN LC, when Indy, Sallah, and Henry go down to steal the horses from Donavan's crew after the Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword starts firing them.....

Just after Indy says: "Who cares, as long as they're keeping Donovan busy":

Indy pulls off Sallah's red fez and hands it to him....since the Brotherhood wears a similar fez, which would make Sallah stand out like a sore thumb in the middle of the action.

It's a bit of a subtle gag which I just noticed while watching LC again with my son.

NLogan

ValenciaGrail said:
IN LC, when Indy, Sallah, and Henry go down to steal the horses from Donavan's crew after the Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword starts firing them.....

Just after Indy says: "Who cares, as long as they're keeping Donovan busy":

Indy pulls off Sallah's red fez and hands it to him....since the Brotherhood wears a similar fez, which would make Sallah stand out like a sore thumb in the middle of the action.

It's a bit of a subtle gag which I just noticed while watching LC again with my son.

I always thought he pulled Sallah's fez off simply because it was red and would make a good target as they clearly had already been spotted. I don't think it was because the Brotherhood had similar ones because they were already shooting at Jones and crew before the Brotherhood had launched their attack and they were still in hiding.

TohtLikeaTiger

A Trend in the Movies. . .

I know I have too much time on my hands, but have you ever thought about how Indiana Jones is never the master of his own fate?

In Raiders, his impact on the story is almost negligible. If he hadn?t gotten involved at all, the Nazis might never have discovered the Ark. Even if they had, they would have opened it and promptly blown up/melted/shriveled/taken a high-hard-one to the gut (possibly taking the Fuhrer with them) ending the whole sad affair right there. Even when he ends up with the Ark as the last man standing, someone else comes along and makes it disappear.

The same pattern is followed in Last Crusade (his actions help attain the Grail) and Crystal Skull (he can only watch as the temple ?leaves? the jungle).

It?s also interesting that the last act for these movies isn?t a big action scene with Indy having to beat up the bad guy to stop his evil plans. What other action movie can you think of that ends without the hero having a hardcore showdown with his arch nemesis???

Note that neither of these patterns is true in Temple of Doom, where he does have to fight Mola Ram at the end, and he does have an impact of the events around him ? the stone and the children would never have been returned to the village if he hadn?t done something.

Indy as a ?non-action? hero seems contrary to storytelling tradition, but it works somehow. In the end, we?re just like him ? watching events around us that we?re unable to control. But we can take heart that everything works out for us anyway.

lancetoris

I've seen all the originals countless times, but I only JUST noticed the "Obi Wan" club sign when Indy and Willie jump from the window.

I'm certain I'm not the first one to notice that, but it was one of those "hey wait!" moments for me ;)

MonarchOfTheSea

I always wondered why Indy starts to laugh when he's about to fall to his doom in the temple in ROTLA. Then I noticed Max Zorin in A View to a Kill laugh as he's about to fall off the Golden Gate bridge?!

When I was about 10 or 11, I put this to the test. I lay on my front on the stairs near the top & grabbed the top step. Sure enough, as I began to lose my grip...I started to laugh.
It must be something in your brain that tells you, 'ah, well, might as well go laughing.'

by the way, I did survive the stairs...;)

YouNeverKnow

Awright, I don't see this one here.

Justed watched LC tonight, and has anyone noticed that when Henry, Sr. is firing the machine gun after the "11 o'clock!" bit, Indy pulls out his revolver and starts shooting downwards??

It made me laugh in my head because that is SUCH an impractical way of attacking an army plane.

indyclone25

mr.wolf said:
well when i first saw Raiders in theaters about 3 years ago, I noticed that in the scene where Belloq has taken over the ship the Ark was on and had captured Marion and she was wearing that white silk dress, she wasn't exactly wearing panties and lets just say Karen Allen didn't exactly shave back then.[/QUOTE

you noticed that too --- i saw that in the 80s when i was a teen and i was very intrigued---

The Drifter

I have also always been puzzled by one scene in ToD.
When Willie is sitting at the camp talking to Indy, we see the elephant keep annoying her with it's trunk.

Well, she gets up and moves, and then the snake comes down across her shoulder, and she grabs it (thinking it's the elephant's trunk) and throws it.
Why did this not suprise her? She just says she hates the elephant. Did she really think that she threw the elephant or ripped it's trunk off?

Another thing. ((Spoilers))
In Raiders when Indy is climbing the jackel statue in the Well of Souls, he comes face to face with a snake.
He swallows his fear and throws it down, causing it to land on Marion.

So, if he could muster enough courage to grab that snake and throw it, than why he is so damn scared to touch the one Mutt hands him in KotCS?

Don't just say, because the movie sucks.
Serious responses please. :)

ValenciaGrail

Well, she gets up and moves, and then the snake comes down across her shoulder, and she grabs it (thinking it's the elephant's trunk) and throws it.
Why did this not suprise her? She just says she hates the elephant. Did she really think that she threw the elephant or ripped it's trunk off?

I think we are to assume she was just blissfully ignorant of the fact that it was a snake, though the execution and direction of the scene may not have been convincing to the audience ;) The snake is heavy, and an elephant's trunk is also heavy. To her, she was just tossing away a heavy obect, she didn't notice that the snake went DOWN after she tossed it, which the trunk would not have done.

In Raiders when Indy is climbing the jackel statue in the Well of Souls, he comes face to face with a snake.

So, if he could muster enough courage to grab that snake and throw it, than why he is so damn scared to touch the one Mutt hands him in KotCS?

I think this is partially because the scene in KOTCS was viewed as a good humor/gag opportunity, and continuity / consistency with other films was not rigorously considered.

Plus - in the Well of Souls, he just had to act quickly, like ripping off a band-aid, and get rid of the snake. It was also dark, so he really didn't have to look at the snake. In the KOTCS scene, however, he had to grab and hold onto a snake in broad daylight for at least a few seconds...and a much larger one at that.
Remember that a phobia, which Indy apparently has, is an irrational fear ("Let's call it a ROPE!"). It is not just a fear driven by safety concerns (venom, etc...), which most of of have. It won't obey the sort of logical rules we'd intuitively expect. For example, many people with a fear of heights can ride on a ski lift, but cannot go past the 3rd floor of a buid\ing.

Stoo

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Another thing. ((Spoilers))

Spoilers? Spoilers for "Raiders"????:confused: Do you have some rare, alternate version of this scene?
Indy doesn't "grab the snake and throw it".:rolleyes:

The Drifter

Stoo said:
Spoilers? Spoilers for "Raiders"????:confused: Do you have some rare, alternate version of this scene?
Indy doesn't "grab the snake and throw it".:rolleyes:

Not spoilers for Raiders, spoilers for the snake scene in KotCS.
And, if he does not throw it. how does it fall and land on Marion?

indytim

In Raiders, the archery skills of one of the Hovitos makes me smile. In the very last shot of them running after Indy (it's the ground level shot from behind with all their bums on show :eek: ) if you watch the Hovitos on the right of the screen shots an arrow literally straight up into the air even though Indy is right in front of him. In can only conclude that this is either supposed to be an incredible trick shot which would result in the arrow coming straight down on top of Indy's head or that the Hovitos had previously attended the same shooting school as the Stormtroopers from Star Wars ;)

nitzsche

Lonsome_Drifter said:

He burns it with the torch he has in his teeth. The snake dies and slides off and lands on Marion.

Stoo

Lonsome_Drifter said:
The Spoiler section has been merged so there are no more spoilers. Pay attention, lad!:)
Now, clean your glasses (not the beer ones) and go watch "Raiders" again.;) :whip:

The Drifter

Stoo said:
The Spoiler section has been merged so there are no more spoilers. Pay attention, lad!:)
Now, clean your glasses (not the beer ones) and go watch "Raiders" again.;) :whip:

Well, I marked it as spoilers to be polite. There a rule against that?
And, the snake does fall on Marion. I assumed Indy throw it off the statue. I never said I seen him do so.

Stoo

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Well, I marked it as spoilers to be polite. There a rule against that?
And, the snake does fall on Marion. I assumed Indy throw it off the statue. I never said I seen him do so.
You did. (Which is why I replied.)

"He swallows his fear and throws it down, causing it to land on Marion.
So, if he could muster enough courage to grab that snake and throw it,..."

Plus, if you ain't never seen him throw it, then how can this part be The thing you and ONLY you think you noticed?
And no, there's no rule against being polite about spoilers but you'd think anyone on this board would have seen the film by now.:rolleyes:

The Drifter

Stoo said:
You did. (Which is why I replied.)

"He swallows his fear and throws it down, causing it to land on Marion.
So, if he could muster enough courage to grab that snake and throw it,..."

Plus, if you ain't never seen him throw it, then how can this part be The thing you and ONLY you think you noticed?
And no, there's no rule against being polite about spoilers but you'd think anyone on this board would have seen the film by now.:rolleyes:

Like I said before; the spoilers were for KotCS.
And, I assumed he threw the snake, and frankly I still think he threw the snake.

Why make such a big deal about this? :rolleyes: