Indy 5 news 2018

Randy_Flagg

IndyForever said:
1960s setting restricts to communism or nazi

Much like how 1935 restricted the villains to being Thuggee? :D

I'd prefer that they don't just go for the political enemy of the moment. We've seen that the three of the past four films, and there's no reason to restrict it to that. It worked well with Nazis because they had an interest in the occult, but it already felt like a retread when Nazis were used again in LC, and the Russians in KOTS felt like a bit like Nazi-lite.

Udvarnoky

I agree with that. The villains don't have to represent a global superpower. Temple gave us cultists and Chinese mobsters. I would be happy with more antagonists at a smaller scale.

OldIndy2323

A confirmation of the 60's setting should mean another "nod" to the movie styles of the times. ROTLA with its "30's movie serials" feel and KOTCS with its "50's greaser / bad sci-fi movie" feel should logically be followed by a "60's James Bond-esque spy type" movie.

Also, setting the movie in 66, 67 or 68 and having a "Moriarity" or "Belloque" singular villain for Indy with a plan to use an artifact for "world domination", rather than the whole Soviet Army would work to capture that feel.

And, with the latest Disney trend, the idea of an "equal" African American female partner, rather than a sidekick, could tie in some of the equality themes from the 60's.

Fingers crossed though that Indy loses his eye at the end of the movie and then decides to retire; finally giving us the connection needed for YIJC.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Yeah BABY!

You may be onto something here!

OldIndy2323 said:
...should logically be followed by a "60's James Bond-esque spy type" movie.

And, ... an "equal" African American female partner, rather than a sidekick, could tie in some of the equality themes from the 60's.

foxxy-cleopatra.jpg

Z dweller

OldIndy2323 said:
having a "Moriarity" or "Belloque" singular villain for Indy with a plan to use an artifact for "world domination", rather than the whole Soviet Army would work to capture that feel.
That's very close to the idea I posted in another thread.
It could be a shady organization headed by a Blofeld-like villain.

But that's as far as I'd go with 60s spy-flick cliches.
I certainly wouldn't want to see Indy doing stuff like this.

iu

Raiders90

I'm telling you, we're likely going to get a Chinese presence somehow in the movie. China is a huge audience which Disney is trying to cater to. You're gonna get a Chinese character in there somewhere.

I really don't think it will be a spy movie. I like the idea of something Hitchcockian though, and doesn't that fit into the 1960s as well? Maybe we'll get a holdover from Darabont's script?

You could also get influence from Westerns. The Gunfighter came out in I believe 1960 and could be an interesting influence to use.

FordFan

Face_Palm said:
Well he does think Temple of Doom is the worst Indy film. He?s pretty happy with how Indy 4 turned out.

He wouldn't be making this if he was happy with how Indy 4 turned out. He distanced himself from the aliens in the film, while also assuming all responsibility for the hatred Lucas got. But it's no accident that Lucas isn't involved in this film.

I saw "Ready Player One" last night. It's a good movie until you remember it was directed by Spielberg, and then you wonder why it's not that much better.

Raiders90

Disney wants NOTHING to do with Lucas and Lucas feels betrayed by them. I highly doubt Spielberg himself would betray Lucas (who is a personal friend) by telling him he can't work at all on the Indy film.

Raiders90

These are some Indy ideas I had years ago and posted here, I think they would make for some good grounding for an Indy film with an older Indy:

Set 1961-Objective, the Philosopher's Stone--Same storyline with some tweaking as Iron Phoenix. Noir, maybe even some horror ala TOD, perhaps in the Lovecraftian vein. Following the format of TOD--Non Judeo-Christian supernatural force at work. [Additions - changed date from 1940s to 1961; perhaps use Prague and Eastern Europe as locales as well as the Atlantic ocean]

Set 1960- Objective, the Garden of Eden. The same tone as ROTLA, but not a 30s pulpy feel. Maybe even a bleak Western (think the Misfits starring Gable) sort of feel or Noir, but ultimately completing the circle--Indiana discovers God's covenant with man in the first film, and the last film brings us to God's first home for humanity. It'd be serious like ROTLA but with the depth of LC--Perhaps Indy loses his family but finds the birth of humanity and the beauty of God's plan, maybe ending with Indy joining his family there--to live on eternally in the realm of Eden.

Raiders90

I just realized something from that Berg interview, he says quickly, "It'll be late in the '60s, yeah"

So...I guess there goes the hope for it being pre Nam era.

FordFan

Raiders112390 said:
Disney wants NOTHING to do with Lucas and Lucas feels betrayed by them. I highly doubt Spielberg himself would betray Lucas (who is a personal friend) by telling him he can't work at all on the Indy film.

I'm sure Spielberg will let him add some input, for old time's sake, but to the point he can dictate the direction of the story like the last four films? That's a no.

IndyForever

The Spielberg who made Ready Player One a fantastic popcorn movie better be the same Spielberg who shows up for Indy 5. If he does then this is going to be a great finale (y)

Also Tye Sheridan (from Ready Player One) would make a fantastic Indy 5 sidekick (former or current Dr Jones student type of sidekick along for the adventure to help Indy in some meaningful way). He was excellent in RP1 :hat: & just gives me the vibe he could add the much needed YA audience factor to Indy 5 as well as fit in organically as a student sidekick but not annoy anyone at all like Shia did.

FordFan

IndyForever said:
The Spielberg who made Ready Player One a fantastic popcorn movie better be the same Spielberg who shows up for Indy 5. If he does then this is going to be a great finale (y)

Also Tye Sheridan (from Ready Player One) would make a fantastic Indy 5 sidekick (former or current Dr Jones student type of sidekick along for the adventure to help Indy in some meaningful way). He was excellent in RP1 :hat: & just gives me the vibe he could add the much needed YA audience factor to Indy 5 as well as fit in organically as a student sidekick but not annoy anyone at all like Shia did.

I was pretty disappointed by it. I hope Spielberg injects some actual soul into this one.

Wouldn't bet on a 20-something white male being the sidekick, since it's so close to the route they went with Shia.