Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It's following the Lost World pattern, with crumbling logo and Jeff Goldblum. The sparks could hint that one or more of the islands erupts. We might see dinosaurs and people running from volcanic bombs just like in the old days 65 hundred, er, million years ago. Just don't take the franchise near Cheapskate Island!

JP3egg17.jpg

TheFedora

Moedred said:
It's following the Lost World pattern, with crumbling logo and Jeff Goldblum. The sparks could hint that one or more of the islands erupts. We might see dinosaurs and people running from volcanic bombs just like in the old days 65 hundred, er, million years ago. Just don't take the franchise near Cheapskate Island!

JP3egg17.jpg

That's exactly what happens in the movie, as revealed by the first teaser. Full trailer on Thursday.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/266EI7hdjFs" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheFedora

Sorry for the double post, but the first trailer has been released. Im really excited for it!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vn9mMeWcgoM" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Featurette with more footage. I wonder if Justice Smith plays Arby Benton from the second Crichton novel?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qEMjAf_Bf-g" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheFedora

Well, according to the director, everything in the first trailer was from the first 57 minutes.

Willing to bet some of scenes in the Behind the Scenes stuff that Moedred posted is from after that. Interesting as it seems that there are scenes in an old english manor here that involve dino action. (That guy getting dragged off screen)

TheFedora

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NooW_RbfdWI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Reviews coming in. Here we go...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N7HFXgyTya0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheFedora

Well. Just came out of an advanced screening on Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom . (the movie came out for the UK today as well). I thought it was pretty good, my order is JP>TLW>JWFK>JW>JP3.

IndyBuff

The reviews seem pretty mixed for this one. Some are saying it's one of the best in the series and others are saying it's terrible. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Grizzlor

Personal word of mouth is that it's Lost World bad. Not a surprise, having the dinosaurs hit the mainland was never appealing.

deepermagic

I really enjoyed it. It was like a pulp adventure. Much more intimate than the previous films. It was super fun and thrilling.

I don't know where I'd rank it, but it certainly is undeserving of all the hate being lobbed at it.

I'm really surprised how low it's being rated. I loved it and thought it took the Jurassic movies to a place we haven't seen before. I loved the gothic horror vibe. And as an in-between movie I think it performed marvelously as a sequel as well as a set-up for the next movie, all while standing strongly on its own.

Don't believe the haters.

EddyW

I totally share your opinion, absolutely loved it. Probably my favorite sequel of the series.

JasonMa

Meh, I agree with the prior comments that the director did a damn fine job with a lousy script. I'm glad I saw it on the big screen because the visuals deserved it but the story was ridiculous, even by the standards of the Jurassic Park franchise. Not as bad as JPIII but not better than any of the others.

And I don't even know where the series goes from here. The remaining dinos aren't really a threat given their numbers and the fact that they're all still radio tagged. It will take a couple of weeks to round them up and/or eliminate them. Then what? Most of the species didn't even have enough population to breed if "life finds a way". Maybe the compys (which would take us all the way back to the beginning of the first novel, which might be cool).

deepermagic

JasonMa said:
And I don't even know where the series goes from here. The remaining dinos aren't really a threat given their numbers and the fact that they're all still radio tagged. It will take a couple of weeks to round them up and/or eliminate them. Then what? Most of the species didn't even have enough population to breed if "life finds a way". Maybe the compys (which would take us all the way back to the beginning of the first novel, which might be cool).

It's a good question. I had similar thoughts. There didn't seem to be enough dinos, and many of them were the single representation of their species. (I guess not the pterodactyls? or the triceratops w/baby)

But the director more or less said the third film was the film he's always wanted for Jurassic Park and has even said that the first two films were more or less chess moves to get him to the third film. So apparently the film is going exactly where he wants it to go and he has some kind of an idea of what he wants.

After the first two movies, I'm willing to ride along. I think both, while maybe not as iconic, are certainly worthy sequels that open up new doors to the universe that have been (and I think will be) fun to explore.

I keep coming back to the word 'fun'. The first JP had awe. That's hard to re-capture, but you can certainly have fun and I think both Jurassic World movies have been fun and even manage to give us glimpses/shadows of that original awe.

JasonMa

deepermagic said:
It's a good question. I had similar thoughts. There didn't seem to be enough dinos, and many of them were the single representation of their species. (I guess not the pterodactyls? or the triceratops w/baby)

But the director more or less said the third film was the film he's always wanted for Jurassic Park and has even said that the first two films were more or less chess moves to get him to the third film. So apparently the film is going exactly where he wants it to go and he has some kind of an idea of what he wants.
It feels like they're going for a setup where humans and dinos now have to coexist. A true "Jurassic World". Which, fine, I find that concept really interesting, but this movie doesn't logically set that up. Yeah, I know, its a summer blockbuster, don't think about it much. But in a franchise founded on genetics and "life finding a way" its hard to ignore the realities of the science if that's the route they go.

deepermagic

JasonMa said:
It feels like they're going for a setup where humans and dinos now have to coexist. A true "Jurassic World". Which, fine, I find that concept really interesting, but this movie doesn't logically set that up. Yeah, I know, its a summer blockbuster, don't think about it much. But in a franchise founded on genetics and "life finding a way" its hard to ignore the realities of the science if that's the route they go.

I'm sure for some it will be. But from the very beginning people have been saying Jurassic Park skirts the realities of science. If one accepts the premise (even for pure entertainment reasons) that man somehow created dinosaurs, then it's hard for me to take one's opinion's about how they skirt the realities of science elsewhere.

So like in a Marvel movie, I know that ships can't fly like that, I know that there isn't any force field tech, I know that sound doesn't exist in space, etc, but I also know that a man can't change into a green rage monster. But I accept he can within the story and so when I see a ship suddenly turn on a dime or someone fall through another dimension, I'm only extending my disbelief within that story to be entertained. Same with JP movies for me, at least.

JasonMa

deepermagic said:
I'm sure for some it will be. But from the very beginning people have been saying Jurassic Park skirts the realities of science. If one accepts the premise (even for pure entertainment reasons) that man somehow created dinosaurs, then it's hard for me to take one's opinion's about how they skirt the realities of science elsewhere.
Of course there are scientists who feel we are only 5-10 years away from reverse engineering dinosaurs so while JP was ~30 years ahead of its time its not that outlandish. And far too many SF stories have included discussions about genetic diversity for me to ignore it in another SF story.

Plus, even as willing as I might be to suspend my disbelief, Blue was the only raptor to survive and there was only ever one T-Rex. There can't be more than one of each in any further movie. So either they need to change their lead dinosaurs (unlikely), the movie will have to focus on just Blue and/or the T-Rex (seems unlikely), or they're going to have to come up with a reasonable reason why there is more than one now.

deepermagic

JasonMa said:
Of course there are scientists who feel we are only 5-10 years away from reverse engineering dinosaurs so while JP was ~30 years ahead of its time its not that outlandish. And far too many SF stories have included discussions about genetic diversity for me to ignore it in another SF story.

Plus, even as willing as I might be to suspend my disbelief, Blue was the only raptor to survive and there was only ever one T-Rex. There can't be more than one of each in any further movie. So either they need to change their lead dinosaurs (unlikely), the movie will have to focus on just Blue and/or the T-Rex (seems unlikely), or they're going to have to come up with a reasonable reason why there is more than one now.

Well the story may not center around multiplying dinosaurs. But if it does, they did highlight the cases of all the different dino species in phials in the silver case. More dinos could potentially come that way.

It would be interesting to see a movie not immediately right after Fallen Kingdom, but some years down the road. Maybe the release of the dinos (and perhaps the introduction of the newly created dinos by whomever now has the tech) has so shifted the ecological structure that life as we know it has fundamentally changed. I think it'd be a hard sell but if you give me something slightly believable I'll probably bite. What would life look like now with dinosaurs and humans living side by side? Especially if they finally figure out how to 'weaponize' the dinosaurs (they've been practically showing us their hand regarding this in the past two movies)? Are we going to get some kind of post apocalyptic dinosaur USA? Again, it'd be a hard sell, but I'm willing to play if it's fun.