LA and Las Vegas

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Jay R. Zay said:
well, actually i liked the outback. but no, i've been to melbourne, cairns, sydney, the uluru and a couple of smaller towns and villages along the roads. sydney is nice but actually, as well as melbourne, in my view much alike cities around the world. if you can have the outback every day, it surely can be boring. for somebody like me, who has to travel 10.000 miles to see something like it, it actually was impressive.

however, i understand that a populous and busy area like sydney provokes a similar reaction in the average australian. :p

Yeah, you're probably right. I have to agree about cities being very similar around the world, but I just love Sydney. Brisbane isn't as big but, it's just as nice and has plenty of parks in it. My film school actually is located in the major parklands, South Bank. The Outback, I'm sure is interesting to visitors and I'm glad you liked it.

etobicoke indy

well, i agree with most...every country has the good and the bad...for example i live in Canada...people say what a nice,and safe country it is...and the people are super friendly etc....blah blah blah....there are some morons here that i would like to shoot personally, i have been almost robbed 4 times in my life, and in the summertime Chinatown smells like some serious sweaty ass....but come down and visit us....oh ya, and our health care is free!!!!:D

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Here's some photos....

DisneyCastle.jpg

You should know where this is...

SnakeSurprise.jpg

Snake Surprise! Planet Hollywood, Las Vegas.

IndyOutpost.jpg

The Indy Adventure Outpost.

Indytruck.jpg

If you don't recognise this truck, how can you call yourself an Indyfan????

GraumansChinese.jpg

My favourite part of LA. Grauman's.

MGMView.jpg

View from our room at the MGM Grand.

Matinee Idyll

Oooh, looks excitin' VI! Must've been amazin'!... Glad y'had a lovely time.

Erm, the Indy Outpost... what is this? A theme park? Is that where the Raiders truck is?

Gustav

Grauman's. What was it like? Did you go inside?

Good pictures. It looks like you have a good family. Reminds me of when my family and I used to go on vacations to Disney World and Washington D.C. and places like that. Is that your only sibling?

Matinee, the Indy Outpost is essentially a gift shop, but it's probably the coolest kind of gift in the world because it has Indiana Jones stuff that you can't find anywhere else except online.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yes, I went inside!!!!! It was soooooo beautiful. :D It has inspired me to keep going in film school. Yeah, my brother's my only sibling. My Dad was taking most of the photos (he thinks he's the greatest holiday photographer) so that's why you don't see him in these photos.

The Raiders truck is at the entrance to the Indiana Jones Adventure ride aka Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. The best ride of all time!!

The Outpost is also the best gift shop of all time. I bought most of my souvenirs from there. :eek:

I also went to Univrsal Studios, I forgot to post a photo from that. When I get time, I will do it.

Indy Benson

Indiana Jones Adventure ride aka Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. The best ride of all time!!

The ride itself is decent, but it's the set-up, the before stuff, that is top notch. Another great "set-up" ride is the Tower of Terror in DisneyWorld.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, the set up is fantastic. The Roger Rabbit ride was another ride with a great set-up too.

Yeah, I spent a small fortune of the money I had made from my uni shooting footage to be used in promos and commercials at the Outpost. It was soooo hard to pick what to buy. If I had more room in my luggage and more money, I probably would have bought one of everything in that store. That was not spurprisingly, the place I bought the most from. I bought a couple of shirts from Vegas (Planet Hollywood one and a couple of shirts that I needed from Walmart after being sick) and a few little bits and pieces from Grauman's and from Universal, but that's about it.

Living in LA

Violet,Im heading back to LA in December, I live in Venice Beach when Im there, its a circus of people every day, definetly something to see. I lived in Kauai in Hawaii before I moved to LA, Kauai is awesome for Indy fans because thats where they filmed Raiders and thats where Lucas and Spielberg agreed on doing the project together. I lived directly under the paramount rock that the camera fades into in the very begining of Raiders, it was a dream come true to live in the exact spot where they filmed it. I used to don my fedora and hike along the river where indy swings on the vine to escape the natives. They have a;) Raiders tour on the island where they bring you to the spots that were used in the film. Speilberg used the island for Jurassic park also. Im in Venice Italy right now, it looks just like it does in the Last Crusade, its sweeeet I tell yah. :)

Last edited:

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
ninepinejones said:
I lived directly under the paramount rock that the camera fades into in the very begining of Raiders, it was a dream come true to live in the exact spot where they filmed it. I used to don my fedora and hike along the river where indy swings on the vine to escape the natives. They have a;) Raiders tour on the island where they bring you to the spots that were used in the film. Speilberg used the island for Jurassic park also. Im in Venice Italy right now, it looks just like it does in the Last Crusade, its sweeeet I tell yah. :)

Welcome ninepinejones! :)
Do you by any chance have pictures of these places so we could see how it looks like now?

Returning to Kauai

I actually have a few really good pictures of Venice, Italy, but as far as Kauai goes I will be there in January and will definetly take some good shots of these Indy areas. My past roomate still lives on a parcel of land directly under the The Raider rock which is about a quarter mile from the river where the plane c3-po was parked. Im not sure how to post pictures yet so I will ask a friend to give me a hand and in January I will post what I get from Kauai. I actually left my fedora on the bookshelf where my roomate still resides, its probably covered in spider webs by now, cant wait to get it back, the spiders in kauai are huge and move extremely fast, the rats where larger than my cat who I named Zatoichi after the blindswordsman, Zatoichi could still take them out though.:hat:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
*ba-bump*

Guess who's coming back? :p

Got a few questions:

Is Disneyland quite busy around the actual Christmas Day and New Year's Eve? Is it still open on New Year's Eve (as I did find on WkikAnswers, that it is open till 2am, but you know, I just want to make sure)?

Is it really, really cold in December/January in LA? Like enough for 3 or 4 layers worth of clothes, or not that cold?

Insomniac

Violet Indy said:
*ba-bump*

Got a few questions:

Is Disneyland quite busy around the actual Christmas Day and New Year's Eve? Is it still open on New Year's Eve (as I did find on WkikAnswers, that it is open till 2am, but you know, I just want to make sure)?

Is it really, really cold in December/January in LA? Like enough for 3 or 4 layers worth of clothes, or not that cold?

First off I've never been to Disneyland but in Disney World it is usually at it's peak around Christmas.
all Disney parks are open year round 365 days a year except on leap years!(Pun)

It's pretty nice year round in LA but it can get a bit uncomfortable nothing sweatshirt shouldn't cover.

To my knowledge those are the facts!
:hat:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Insomniac said:
First off I've never been to Disneyland but in Disney World it is usually at it's peak around Christmas.
all Disney parks are open year round 365 days a year except on leap years!(Pun)

It's pretty nice year round in LA but it can get a bit uncomfortable nothing sweatshirt shouldn't cover.

To my knowledge those are the facts!
:hat:

Thanks Insomniac. Would also like to hear from more people in general on the weather and also if anyone can let me know about the local restaurants in regards to whether any would be open on Christmas Day for lunch?

Violet Indy said:
*ba-bump*

Got a few questions:

Last year when I was living in Cali with my parents, we went to Universeal Studios in Dec it was not bad at all.

Ah my family went back to or town we lived at Oxnard CA, in LA it gets cool because of the beach but not freezing cold, It gets around 70-80 F in LA. My family went to LA mostly every Sunday. Theres a place you mght like in LA and thats China Town. My parents mostly shopped at mall and my brother and I went to game stores like GameStop and ate at McD, BK, Wendy's and Chinese food thats about it, Oh and we went to the beach.

BEWARE some beachs have rules where you can walk around nude so be careful, my family ran into that problem..

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
IndyWolf15 said:
Last year when I was living in Cali with my parents, we went to Universeal Studios in Dec it was not bad at all.

Ah my family went back to or town we lived at Oxnard CA, in LA it gets cool because of the beach but not freezing cold, It gets around 70-80 F in LA. My family went to LA mostly every Sunday. Theres a place you mght like in LA and thats China Town. My parents mostly shopped at mall and my brother and I went to game stores like GameStop and ate at McD, BK, Wendy's and Chinese food thats about it, Oh and we went to the beach.

BEWARE some beachs have rules where you can walk around nude so be careful, my family ran into that problem..

Yeah, I do plan to go to Chinatown, I missed out on it last time, because I was only there for a week and a bit (and we went on to Vegas, personally didn't like Vegas that much, they had some great shows like Phantom of the Opera, and the buildings are interesting but that's all there was).

We also plan to see some of the beach places, like Venice Beach and Newport. We've also heard stories about some of the beaches in the area so we're aware of such things (kind of happens around here too, though not as much). We also want to take a closer look around the OC and go to an American shopping mall just to compare (we did go to shops last time, but not a proper mall and all the hotels kind of make you go to all the upclass expensive ones, and well, my family and I certainly couldn't afford to buy things from those places, though I did get to a Walmart, and bought some shirts coz I need some).

Agent Crab said:
Sounds like a nice trip! Hope you have fun.

Thank you very muchly. I hope so too. This decision to go was only made recently so it's been a bit of a spur of the moment type of holiday unlike last time, which was planned further in advance. At least, this time, we're more prepared and more knowledgeable of LA and Anaheim.

Agent Crab

No problem! I wanna go there. I been to Toucsan Arizona, which was great in my opinions. Even visted the moutain towns there.