Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Luckylighter

Has anyone checked out the official site yet?

http://www.skycaptain.com/

They have a free downloadable game that puts you in the cockpit of one of those old P-40's from the movie. Play it! And thank me later.

By the way, who else is really looking forward to this movie?

S

skywlkrinc

I'm looking forward to seeing it. It's kind of lame that they moved the opening day back a couple months. It was originally scheduled to release the same weekend Spider-man 2 came out.

Luke

Raffey

I think it was pretty smart of them NOT to compete with Spiderman 2.

However they should have had it compete with I, Robot.

As for the movie, something about it doesn't feel right. It looks like it has a lot of potential but that could go either way. I'll wait for an average joe's review before going to see it.

00Kevin

Indyfan
I have high hopes for this film, but I am afraid that it won't be as god as I hope :(. I became very interested merely by seeing a poster. It looks like an excellent 1930's type adventure.

Also, the video game 'crimson skies: high road to revenge' is probubly my favorite flying game, so that too draw me towards this film

anyways, 00Kevin will see this film and hopes for the best

I

Indy's_main_man

too weird for my liking....this is from a man who includes "Toys" and "the stupids" in his favorite movies list

Webley

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow looks totally awesome. Do you guys remember the DC comic book Black Hawk this movie reminds me of that and the Rocketteer a little.

Finn

Staff member
I can already foresee that:

<i>Not a bad movie, but no one was wearing a fedora.

One star. *</i>

I

Indy's_main_man

Road to perdition...now that was good.

I somehow doubt this will have the great performances and that sweet dark shadowy undertone that made it so good.

I saw a carboard cut out of Angelina Jolie wearing an eyepatch a while back and I thought it was a joke. but i guess not.

I wonder why all these big stars agreed to this

I

Indy's_main_man

period?

with robots? they tried that in wild wild west and it came off completely unbelieveable and bad.

Webley

No comparison to wild wild west

I think this movie will be in a league of its own.

Last edited:

Webley

Oh ya another thing that Sky Captain reminds me of is the old Max & Dave Fleischer Superman cartoons especially The Mechanical Monsters and Japoteurs.

Luckylighter

I have new news about Sky Captain--at least it's news to me. Apparently, Laurence Olivier is playing the bad guy. That's right...I said Laurence Olivier. "But he's dead, isn't he?" is what you are thinking...and you're right.

According to USA Today--and IMDB--they are using archived footage from several of his movies:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2004-07-26-olivier-villain_x.htm?POE=LIFISVA

Also, according to Ain't It Cool News, a recent general public preview screening of the film, "tore the roof off the place."

I can't wait!

Goodsport

"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"

This movie hits theaters in less than a week from now (on Friday, September 17th). :cool:

To my knowledge, with Indiana Jones 4 still a ways off, this appears to be the only "pulpy" (with some "film noir" thrown in) film on the horizon. Who here (besides me) plans to see this movie when it's released? :)

-G

Goodsport

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one here excited to see this film (and incidentally, I loved the Crimson Skies PC game from a few years back, though I haven't been able to play the more recent Xbox version since I don't have an Xbox :( ) . :D

I was a bit disappointed at first when the film's release date was pushed back a few months, but in retrospect I kinda understand why - instead of getting lost in the glut of movies earlier this summer, it instead pretty much has this week all to itself. ;)

-G

Indydan13

I can't believe the coloration of the screen. It looks so awesome. It looks black and white, but with color.

agent5

Just got back from the first matinee showing and all I can say is Sky Captain is the reason I go to the movies.
I was pleasantly entertained the entire way through. I loved the combo of old ideas and new. I loved the designs, characters, the overall story was good and the effects were avsolutely amazing!. Just when things seemed even slightly cliche', up pops a new idea or good design of some sort that made me say, WOW! I kept waiting to see the Rocketeer pop up next to Sky Captain's plane while in flight.
I recommend it highly. This is definitley one I can't wait to own. I know we'll get screwed on the initial dvd release, but I'll probably end up buying that and then buy it all over again when the directors cut/special edition/platinum edition/yada-yada comes out.