Mystery Park - Interlaken

westford

I read an article in the Fortean Times this week about Erich von Däniken and the new 'theme park' he's creating in Interlaken, Switzerland. Called the Mystery Park, or Mysteries of the World, it will encourage visitors to think about sites like the Pyramids and Stone Henge. You'll be able to take a simulated flight over the Nazca plain, and make a virtual trip to India to find out about Vimanas. You can find out more on the website - www.mysterypark.ch (available in French, German and English).

The park's supposed to be opening later this year. Don't think I'll make it to Switzerland this summer, but maybe in the future...

Anyway, I thought you guys might be interested. Has anyone read any of Daniken's books? He seems pretty interesting, although I hadn't come across him before.

<small>Happy now? ;) And BTW, you push ALT+0196 using the side number board, you get an A-umlaut with any comp. -Finn</small>

[Edited by Finn on 03-11-2003 at 02:59 am]

swords

Well let's not dismiss the idea altogether. Von Daniken has been criticized since the publication of his first book "Chariot of the Gods?", but doesn't he make some interesting points?

How did the ancient Egyptians raised those huge obelisks, have the architectural skill to erect the pyramids? The exact precision and skill used to cut and fit these stones in the construction of these monumental achievements? How about the carved heads of Easter Island?

How could these ancient societies accomplish all of this? Whats the significance of it all?

Perhaps extraterrestrial astronauts lended a hand. All these mythological gods and goddesses worshopped, were they not, in fact, aliens that people in ancient times were indepted to?

Till someone can explain this, Im not dismissing the idea.

digman36

Most people tend to forget how long these civilizations were in existence. They had plenty of time to get it right. Experimental archaeology has only been around for a 100 years, so we're still in infancy of learning ancient methods. Now compare that to how long the Egyptian Civilization was in existence (about 3000 years). Sure, it's fun to think about aliens landing and helping mankind, or we can look to the past achievements of mankind and take pride in what we can accomplish. And we don't work with stone like the ancients did. Think about it like this: Thousands of years from now, we have the remains the steel skeleton of skyscrapers. Will future humans look back and think we accomplished that, or that aliens came down to help us?

swords

I agree, it's fun to think of Extra Terrestrials and the supernatural. I eat up that stuff for some reason(Im a fan of Stargate, by the way);)

Alright, you kind of got me with the length of time perspective, and I never thought about that, so it was like a slap in the face.:D But I will continue, nonetheless, because it's fun to argue in favor of lunatics.:D

Most historians agree, according to sources, that something like 10 000 workers were involved in all Egyptian projects, including pyramids. Let's look at the construction of the Khufu Pyramid at Giza, which is recorded to have occurred over a time of 20 years(From the top of my head, so forgive any errors): I don't know the figures, but basically, you need this amount of men, over this amount of time daily, in order to reach the completion of the Khufu Pyramid over that duration(20 years of course).

Are we to believe, that slaves, although promised life in the afterlife, are to continually work towards the construction of this pyramid, for a Pharoah, who, in the first place, wasn't even going to see his legacy?(I need confirmation: was this indeed Khufu?)

Daniken says this is unlikely, and his proposed theory of Extra Terrestrial involvement seems to solve this problem. As a matter of fact, his other books(I assume), at least provide answers to these types of mysteries, whereas historians and scholars are still scratching their heads in bewilderment...

westford

abyd.jpg

I found this photo on this site. It shows hieroglyphics from the temple of Abydos which seem to represent 'a helicopter, a tank, a cargo plane and a glider'. Kinda freaky... I don't know who found them, or when, etc, so I don't know how reliable the photo is.

digman36

Say, I was looking at the link that talks about the Labryniths, and ya know, it sure does start to look like a hemisphere of the human brain.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Coming from a huge Stargate fan...

One cannot totally dismiss the idea of aliens...however, I am more apt to believe in a "Super Civilization" that was highly advanced (in compairison to the other cultures since then).

Atlantis is far more real than I think most people give credit for...but that is another topic.:)

TombReader

Why is it so difficult to believe that 1)past civilizations may have had knowledge that we do not have or that 2)we may not be the high point of civilization that we like to think we are.

'It shows hieroglyphics from the temple of Abydos which seem to represent 'a helicopter, a tank, a cargo plane and a glider'

Seem to?You'll have to do better than that.

'Are we to believe, that slaves, although promised life in the afterlife, are to continually work towards the construction of this pyramid...'

No we should not.More than likely the pyramids were built by farmers who worked on the projects during the off-season.Public and monumental architecture are often a sign of a society which has evolved beyond the hunter-gatherer stage.

'All these mythological gods and goddesses worshopped, were they not, in fact, aliens that people in ancient times were indepted to?'

What about the Great Pumpkin?Any thoughts on that one??(rolls eyes)

Clearly you have no understanding of mythology.I won't even waste time debating this one.I just hope that stupidity is not painful.

Last edited:

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator note:

Whoa! Hold it a second.
Please remember this simple rule of thumb. Here at the Raven you can attack the post and its content, but not the poster. In other words you can disagree with an idea that has been posted, just so long as you don't start name calling or flaming the other person for posting.

This could very well be a good debate, please do not dissolve into flaming. Any member doing so may be subject to probation.

Last edited:

Webley

What a cool looking plase. How long were you thare? and what kind of stuff can you do thare?

ElodieJones

I visit this parc during one day.

It's a presentation of 8 big mysteries.
Stonehenge, Nazca, Kheops, Moai, Mayan calendar, ...
In 8 different buildings, with 8 different presentations,movies, 3D movies, light effects, etc...

Very interesting. It didn't answer to the questions, but just explain some possibilities.

Brown Fedora

Proof: "Mystery Park"

Here you are, you mugs. Proof that Erich 'Chariots of the Gods' Von Danniken does INDEED have a themepark, complete with animatronics, in Switzerland..;)

Sounds like a Raven fieldtrip to me... ;)

http://www.evdaniken.com/e/themepark.htm

(The trip alone with some of you would be worth the embarassment of buying the t-shirt)

Anybody wanna take bets on the names of the most popular rides?
I'm thinking "It's a Small, nonsensical, very poorly researched World".. will be a huge hit.

-B.F. :hat:

Last edited:
This is very cool info, thanks BrownFedora!! Have you ever heard of the Mystery of the 13 crystal skulls? I have been looking into this and from what I have learned is that 5 have been found and an archeoligist with his daughter discovered one in mexico during the early part of the century, the daughter has the skull and lives in Canada, the skulls are supposedly from the Mayans, and the story that I heard is that they will reveal important information on the evolution of man when all 13 are brought together. :cool: