Cigars

Stoo

Stephen Jared said:
I smoke PUNCH cigars. Haven't smoked anything else for a few years now. A Sierra Nevada beer and a Punch cigar ends the long work day just swell for me. Might try one, RS.
Judging from one of the movie props in the National Geographic Indiana Jones exhibition, there is good reason to believe that Abner Ravenwood smoked PUNCH cigars...:cool:

Mickiana

What is the prop, Stoo? Does it show Abner in any way? And what is the cigar angle? So many questions!!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Mickiana said:
What is the prop, Stoo? Does it show Abner in any way? And what is the cigar angle? So many questions!!

I believe he's refering to the cigar box prop that Marion uses in the bar scene to store the cash that Indy gave her. He posted a pic of all the Raven bar stuff from the Exhibition which included various glass bottles and the cigar box.

Mickiana

I did wonder if Stoo referred to that prop. I think it's a leap to relate it directly to Abner, but it's a nice thought and I mean that genuinely. But in case it wasn't the cigar box from The Raven bar, I got a bit excited there might have been something else. I think it would have been great for us to meet Abner, but I believe he did perish in that avalanche.

Great bump/location!

Mickiana said:
I did wonder if Stoo referred to that prop. I think it's a leap to relate it directly to Abner, but it's a nice thought and I mean that genuinely. But in case it wasn't the cigar box from The Raven bar, I got a bit excited there might have been something else. I think it would have been great for us to meet Abner, but I believe he did perish in that avalanche.

Maybe a couple steps, not necessarily a leap.:hat:

Origin: Cuba
Manufactured: Hand Made
Gauge: Thick
Length: 178
Format: Julieta No. 2
Ring: 47
Weight: 15,07 gr.
Score: 7.4
Presentation: 2 Layers in a Box of 25

Punch Churchills Review:

This size of this Punch follows the dictates of its brand, being easy to smoke, with medium-strong flavor and generous aroma. As a Churchill, it is far from the potency of a Cohiba or an H. Upmann, but it is a great Habano for both its texture and the fine finish of its wrapper. Excellent. This brand is probable less known than others, but of course, with high quality standards. We could point out in this hand-made Churchill its bitter, woody and salty taste, with a subtle hint of sweetness towards the end of the stick. Strong toasted tobacco taste.

Beautifully constructed with a nice dense filler packing. The smell was light; floral tea like. On lighting...the filler was dense and took a while to take hold before it got going. The taste was a stronger floral tea than in the unlit version; but it still was not as strong as I had hoped.

Cigar Sizes

Cigars come in many different shapes and sizes. The diameter of a cigar is measured in increments of 64ths on an inch which is termed its "ring gauge." Therefore a 44 gauge Corona is 44/64th inches in diameter. The change in your pocket (assuming you are in the United States) can be used as quick and dirty ring gauges.

dime.gif

44 Ring Gauge

penny.gif

46 Ring Gauge

nickel.gif

48 Ring Gauge

quarter.gif

54 Ring Gauge

Size, Length, Ring
Belicoso, 5 1/2 inches, 52
Churchill, 7 inches, 47
Corona, 5 1/2 inches, 52
Corona Gorda, 5 1/4 inches, 46
Culberas, 5 3/4 inches, 39
Demi Tasse, 4 inches, 30
Double Corona, 7 1/2 inches, 49
Especial, 7 1/2 inches, 38
Gran Corona, 9 1/4 inches, 47
Hermoso, 5 inches, 48
Long Panetela, 7 inches, 36
Lonsdale, 6 1/2 inches, 42
Panetala, 4 1/2 inches, 26
Perla, 4 inches, 40
Petit Corona, 5 inches, 42
Pyramid/Torpedo, 6 1/2 inches, 52
Robusto, 5 inches, 50
Rothschild, 5 inches, 50
Tres Petit Corona, 4 1/2 inches, 40

Quick note:Kasdan said in an interview before Temple that Abner may not be dead...

Last edited:

Mickiana

I love the smell of a cigar or a pipe (at a distance) but I don't smoke. My dad was Dutch and occasionally he smoked Wee Willem "cigartjes". "cigartjes" is, I think, slang for 'little cigars'.

That quick note that Abner might not be dead is very exciting. It makes me wish that Abner figured at least in CS (while reducing some of the other characters' appearances), or in a movie in between LC and CS. Alas, he would have found his Punch cigars got burned up with everything else due to Indiana's appearance had he returned to what was left of The Raven. I can see his face now (Wilford Brimley comes to mind) and hear him express his exasperation and intuition: "Jones!" Who knows?....

Last edited:
Mickiana said:
...that Abner might not be dead is very exciting.

Alas, he would have found his Punch cigars got burned up with everything else...

Hmmm, I'm not saying these aren't PUNCH cigars just yet...but they are different boxes.

5731407694_f91d477873.jpg

(Courtesy:Jorbex)

Macanudo is extremely similar...

large_mikes-cigars-product-172.jpg

Last edited:

Stoo

Hmm...here's the prop on display at the National Geographic Exhibit. Judging from Jorbex's screengrab they are similar but NOT the same!

Exhibit_Whiskey2.jpg

The original prop might have went up in smoke during the filming of the fire sequence of The Raven and the item in the exhibit could be a replacement. Indeed, the boxes are different.

Rocket, this is obviously tied to one of your recent IndyCast questions. I must say that the LOGO for Macanudo is practically identical! What's the deal with that?

Stoo said:
I must say that the LOGO for Macanudo is practically identical! What's the deal with that?

Enjoyed a well deserved cigar and a few beers Sunday, the October snow we received knocked out our power for a week, (second time this year).

Took it as an opportunity to look through the local cigarbar/warehouse and one of the older employees intimated it may be an indication that its Cuban. In any event I grabbed this for my own Indy collection and it'll just have to do until we figure out what the hell is really going on...

387784_283971574970163_100000719686218_932916_1940651344_n.jpg

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Rocket, this is obviously tied to one of your recent IndyCast questions. I must say that the LOGO for Macanudo is practically identical! What's the deal with that?

Rocekt Surgeon said:
In any event I grabbed this for my own Indy collection and it'll just have to do until we figure out what the hell is really going on...

On the site Cigar Box Nation, the following question was posed and answered:

Q: Punch, Macanudo boxes made by the same factory?

A: General Cigar Company makes a whole bunch of brand names, and I believe that Punch and Macanudo are among them, so that might explain it.

http://cigarworld.com/cigars/brands/default.aspx

That cigarworld page has links to the history of each brand of cigar, including when they were first made.

Montana Smith said:
On the siteCigar Box Nation, the following question was posed and answered:
The earliest date I saw was 1961 for General Cigar...

Cigar History Museum is a nice site...wish there was more but it's something.
Originally Posted by National Cigar Museum

1840 Cuba: First PUNCH cigars by Juan Valle. The marca has many owners (1874-1940), eventually Fernandez Palacio y Cia. NCM has numerous items and knock-offs.

Originally Posted by National Cigar Museum

The cigar box is the most perfect man-made package in history. The proof of that is found in a story that has never been told... until now.

From 1862 to 1962, the folks who made and sold cigars created nearly every adver-tising image, gimmick and theme used today. These pioneers led the way into the world of modern advertising.

No package was used in more ways, in so many shapes and sizes, with so many images, than a cigar box. In the art of using the package to attract the customer’s eye, the cigar industry did it earlier, better and more adventurously than anyone. The cigar industry gave birth to point-of-sale advertising.

Like all pioneers, not all their ideas were good ones.

The men and women who selected a brand name or chose an image worked without precedents, polls or web-sites to warn them not to decorate their boxes with skunks, goats, drunks, spiders, wasps, rattle snakes, funerals and Satan to sell cigars. So they did.

Marketers of other products watched with interest ... and learned that pretty girls, dogs, cute kids, cute girls, sports, celebrities, cute women celebrities, good health, healthy girls, good times, wealth and good looking women were much more popular with customers.

In the U.S. cigar industry, experimenting with brands was a way of life. Lessons were never-ending. Cigar companies, salesmen, wholesalers, retailers and even customers ... everyone created brand names, chose pictures, selected the style of box. It was “Advertising Anarchy”® at its ultimate.

Between 1862 and 1962, two million brands of cigars displayed six hundred billion domestic and clear Havana cigars for sale.

The industry made and sold those billions was fragmented into tens of thousands of small clever entrepreneurs, advertising pioneers, innovative package designers, hard workers progressive unionists, government regulators, counterfeiters and tax evaders.

We have a new entry in the race! According to reputable sources:

Originally Posted by Cigar History Museum

My guesstimate says it looks like an Upmann box in the movie, bu t I won't know until I get to the Museum and can compare boxes. Many cubans are packed away but I may get lucky.
I'll see what I can find.

The oval spanning the lid and the face is called a "nail tag" and it's a tell...

Last edited:
Abner's Brand, or gift from a patron?

POR LARRAÑAGA

375510_297639830270004_100000719686218_966386_1649696722_n.jpg

Por Larrañaga is a brand with a long history. Founded in 1834 it enjoys well-earned reputation for its quality and the attractiveness of its presentation.
All the tobacco in the Por Larrañaga range comes from the Vuelta Abajo region and the cigars are made using methods of production — "totalmente a mano, tripa larga" — totally hand made, long filler, "totalmente a mano, tripa corta" — totally hand made, short filler.
Flavour Ranking: Light to Medium.

Originally Posted by Cigar History Museum

I blew up your fine photo...large enough that the details of the label in the painting were clear. Going through my picture files of Cuban brands, I can assure you it's not Punch or Upmann, but without doubt a century old brand called Por Larrañaga. Could date anytime 1890 -1960 when their label would have looked just like the painting...Cuban labels rarely changed much.