Vendyl Jones; This is a joke right?

intergamer

From TIE:

No, not everyone's favorite fictional archaeologist, this guy's a real-life Indiana Jones. In a fascinating story from Israel National News.com, an unnamed Kabbalist has granted a blessing to archaeologist Dr. Vendyl Jones who is planning to uncover the Lost Ark of the Covenant. Dr. Vendyl Jones has devoted much of his life to tracking down the Lost Ark, and now he is just one step away. Jones stated that his discovery of the Lost Ark will "flip the whole world right-side-up." Here are some excerpts from the article:

"An unnamed Kabbalist has granted blessing to famed archeologist Dr. Vendyl Jones, to uncover the Holy Ark of the Covenant. Jones plans to excavate the Lost Ark by the Tisha B?Av Fast this summer.

The famed archaeologist, who is the inspiration for the ?Indiana Jones? series, has spent most of his life searching for the Ark of the Covenant. The ark was the resting place of the Ten Commandments written by Moshe (Moses) on Mount Sinai, and was hidden just before the destruction of the First Temple.

Now after receiving the blessings of Judaism's top Kabbalists and Rabbis, Jones is excited to uncover his life's pursuit. He believes the ark will be discovered by Tisha B'Av, a day of repeated tragedy in Jewish history, the anniversary of the destruction of both the First and Second Holy Temples."

Well, it looks like the Lost Ark will finally be found after all, and fittingly enough, by the real Dr. Jones himself. That will make for one hell of a headline won't it? (For the record, Tisha B'Av is to take place in August of this year.) And it turns out that Dr. Vendyl Jones was one of the inspirations for Indiana Jones according, to the article...

"Jones' escapades and explorations were the inspiration for the blockbuster movie 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' of the 'Indiana Jones' trilogy. The man who wrote the first draft of the film, Randolph Fillmore, was one of the volunteers who worked with Jones in 1977.

?I agreed to help him write the movie,? Jones said, ?as long as ? number one ? he wouldn?t set it here (In Israel). Some people believe the ark is in Ethiopia or Egypt, some believe its in Constantinople or Rome. I just didn?t want it to be portrayed as being here. The second thing was, 'Don?t use my name.' So he didn?t. My name is Vendyl ? V-E-N-D-Y-L. So he just dropped the first and last letters and it ended up Endy Jones.?

Although at the time of the film, Jones was far from pinpointing the location of the Ark, he has come a long way since then."

That certainly adds another chapter to the history of Indiana Jones. It will be amazing to see if Dr. Jones succeeds, and here's hoping he does! It's a complicated yet captivating story, and it's most certainly worth a read. Check out Israel National News.com to read the excusive story.

Thanks to Eddie for the link!

Canyon

As far as I know, its a load of rubbish.

Jones has been claiming this for years, but it has never been verified by Lucas or Lucasfilm.

Indydan13

I knew Indy was real! He moved, changed his name and religion, and is reliving his old life?

For real now, either it's a major coincidence or life imitating art...

Tom Jones

IAdventurer01 said:
Vendyl? I thought Indy was named after Lucas' dog. :p
Indeed Indy was named after Lucas' dog, even Harry admitted it. This man very well could have been the inspiration for Indiana Jones, but I doubt it.