Adventure Novel recommendations

otto rahn

Indy Scout 117 said:
yeah i wanted to see that movie. is there a book about it or is it just a movie??
There was a "novelization" done of the movie. Personally I enjoyed the original T V series but hated the movie with Will Smith !

otto rahn

Another writer to mention is Steve Berry, although his stuff reads more like Dan Brown to me, but with a Russian theme (at least in the first two books I read, "The Amber Room" and "The Romanov Prophecy")

otto rahn

Of course, if your taste runs to crystal skulls there are two books with similar titles "The Crystal Skull" by Manda Scott and "Crystal Skull" by Rob MacGregor (who also wrote some Indiana Jones novels).

Paul 27

adventure_al said:
the-hunt-for-atlantis.jpg

Just finished this. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Coincidently it was the first in a series. I plan to read them all. Would definately recommend giving it a go. (y)

Excellent series of books. Seeing you mention them has made me want to read them again!

Another one I read a few years back is "The Source" by Michael Cordy. Very good adventure novel from what i can remember. Might be worth a try.

TSource.jpg

Gabeed

otto rahn said:
Two more authors that you might like to try are Will Adams ("The Alexander Cipher", "The Exodus Quest", "the Lost Labyrinth") and James Rollins ("Map Of Bones", "Subterranean" etc) (There are several more of his, but I won't list them all here). If your taste runs to genuine "pulp era" adventure novels (written in the 1920's) then you might try Talbot Mundy's "Jimgrim" novels.

Will Adams is alright--a little bland in his writing, but his material is at the very least more grounded than Clive Cussler's stuff. I think I've only read The Alexander Cipher, though I've possibly read The Exodus Quest but have entirely forgotten about it. Even though I'm not really impressed with his novels, I feel compelled to cheer for him since at the very least he tries to add a bit of historicity to his writing, a crippling issue in most adventure fiction these days.

James Rollins, on the other hand, is an airport bookstore-level hack (in my opinion, of course). Mind you, I've only attempted to read "Sandstorm", and I haven't the slightest idea where that ranks amongst his other works, but the 30-40 pages of "Sandstorm" I read were painful. Terrible writing, terrible character names ("Omaha Dunn," for example), terrible plot. What little I've read of Wilbur Smith is just about as headache-inducing.

Adventure novels I would recommend is not exactly in the realm of Indiana Jones-ish fiction, since most of that is either Clive Cussler or Dan Brown-esque stuff that, well, isn't very good. That said, Romolo Gessi's "Seven Years in the Soudan" and especially Winston Churchill's "The River War" are fascinating nonfiction accounts, and amongst fiction you really can't go wrong with anything by Umberto Eco. I definitely suggest "Name of the Rose," "Baudolino," or "Foucault's Pendulum." Michael Crichton's "Congo" was alright, as I recall. Daniel Leston's "The Amun Chamber" reminds me of Will Adams, being a bit bland but not offensive or irritating.

I've been meaning to finally read some Patrick O'Brien, and "Road to Samarcand" sound intriguing.

WilliamBoyd8

Several months ago, I read some of Steve Berry's books, which I found to be pretty good adventure stories, more similar to the movies' James Bond than Indiana Jones.

They are set in the modern era.

I read these books:

The Amber Room
The Romanov Prophecy
The Third Secret

The Third Secret is set in and around the Vatican.
The "secret" was quite humorous, given current events.

:)

otto rahn

Not fiction but the work of Henning Haslund ("Men and Gods In Mongolia" and "In Secret Mongolia")available from "Adventures Unlimited Press" are about exploration in Mongolia in the 1920's and 30's and may provide background/and or inspiration.

andrewbee

The bones of this thread have been brought back to life

So, since 2009, there are a ton of new action/adventure books, which certainly seem to follow the Indy tradition. Here are a few. (And no, Dan Brown isn't listed.)

The Bones Of Odin (1st of the 14-book Matt Drake series) by David Leadbeater. http://amzn.to/2xJjNbR

The Sean Wyatt Series by Ernest Dempsey http://amzn.to/2xJdtBm

The Genesis Conspiracy by James Prescott http://amzn.to/2zcMXkE

Shadows of the Stone Benders by Patrick Donoghue http://amzn.to/2xIR7zU
^^ This one is really, really good.

Plenty of material for the adventure reader.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Talbot Mundy’s The Nine Unknown (1924) entered public domain last year, if movie studios are still interested. A review.