General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

DoomsdayFAN

Spielberg is my favorite director of all time but he's lost his touch. He's not the same guy he was in the 80s. He's grown soft and been way too overly reliant on CGI. Based on his work from the last 10 years, I feel we'll be lucky if Indy V is only marginally better than KOTCS.

I just don't see Spielberg taking the risks he would have taken in the 80s and 90s. I think more realistically, we're in for another KOTCS. The story may be more fleshed out this time, and possibly more entertaining, but I'd bet anything the film will look almost exactly like KOTCS.

Speaking of which, his more recent films all look the same. They all have that same faded, washed out look. That's definitely not how his older films, or the original Indy trilogy looked. It's how KOTCS looked, and pretty much every film he's done since then. So I don't see any reason why Indy V will be any different, unfortunately.

I'm hoping for the best and willing to give Spielberg another shot at getting the series back on track, but based on history, I don't think it's likely at all. Not to mention how lazy and hyper over-reliant Hollywood is nowadays with CGI. Ugh. Why would any of this suddenly change now?

:sick:

Z dweller

DoomsdayFAN said:
Spielberg is my favorite director of all time but he's lost his touch. He's not the same guy he was in the 80s. He's grown soft and been way too overly reliant on CGI. Based on his work from the last 10 years, I feel we'll be lucky if Indy V is only marginally better than KOTCS.

I just don't see Spielberg taking the risks he would have taken in the 80s and 90s. I think more realistically, we're in for another KOTCS. The story may be more fleshed out this time, and possibly more entertaining, but I'd bet anything the film will look almost exactly like KOTCS.

Speaking of which, his more recent films all look the same. They all have that same faded, washed out look. That's definitely not how his older films, or the original Indy trilogy looked. It's how KOTCS looked, and pretty much every film he's done since then. So I don't see any reason why Indy V will be any different, unfortunately.

I'm hoping for the best and willing to give Spielberg another shot at getting the series back on track, but based on history, I don't think it's likely at all. Not to mention how lazy and hyper over-reliant Hollywood is nowadays with CGI. Ugh. Why would any of this suddenly change now?

Completely agree.

I think the odds of Spielbgerg/Koepp/Kaminski delivering a better film than KOTCS are prohibitively long.

IndyBuff

DoomsdayFAN said:

Sadly, I think you're right. Spielberg doesn't seem to have that same spark that he used to. I'm hoping one more Indy outing can bring out the best in him.

Pale Horse

Staff member
IndyBuff said:
Sadly, I think you're right. Spielberg doesn't seem to have that same spark that he used to. I'm hoping one more Indy outing can bring out the best in him.

Very seriously, what is the motivation for any of the storytellers to add another chapter to the Indy Jones Saga? Part of the reason this movie will fail, is that unless they explore the reality of irrelevance and dying, there is no story motivating enough for a 70 year old man and a 70 year old director and a corporate conglomerate to tell, besides making money and or producing merchandise

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
Very seriously, what is the motivation for any of the storytellers to add another chapter to the Indy Jones Saga? Part of the reason this movie will fail, is that unless they explore the reality of irrelevance and dying, there is no story motivating enough for a 70 year old man and a 70 year old director and a corporate conglomerate to tell, besides making money and or producing merchandise
Particularly aftter two consecutive entries which were intended to wrap up the series.

IndyBuff

Pale Horse said:

That's the catch. I understand that making these films is fun for them, but outside of that and the financial returns the hunger doesn't seem to be there.

Udvarnoky

Z dweller said:
I think the odds of Spielbgerg/Koepp/Kaminski delivering a better film than KOTCS are prohibitively long.

These are the only odds:

If Spielberg is engaged, the chances are 100% that it will be a better movie.
If Spielberg is not engaged, the chances are 0%.

Toht's Arm

There's definitely an argument to be made that Spielberg really dropped the ball with Crystal Skull. Sure, Lucas' input didn't help, but the direction was nothing to write home about.

I think Ford was the only one of the three who still brought his A-game.

Olliana

That's why the Ford factor still doesn't bother me at all when it comes to Indy 5. I'm way more concerned about the direction, artificial color grading, a forgettable soundtrack and unlikeable sidekicks.

IndyForever

Toht's Arm said:
There's definitely an argument to be made that Spielberg really dropped the ball with Crystal Skull. Sure, Lucas' input didn't help, but the direction was nothing to write home about.

I think Ford was the only one of the three who still brought his A-game.
KOTCS was & still is a fantastic movie though. I think the biggest issue many had with it was the unfamiliarity with the 1950s setting & forced elements like Mutt & Marion.

Neither should have been in the movie really but once Connery had decided he was retired forever Lucas had to change the script concept to Indy & Mutt as he arrogantly assumed all along Connery would take the extended cameo role.

Face_Melt

IndyForever said:
KOTCS was & still is a fantastic movie though. I think the biggest issue many had with it was the unfamiliarity with the 1950s setting & forced elements like Mutt & Marion.

Neither should have been in the movie really but once Connery had decided he was retired forever Lucas had to change the script concept to Indy & Mutt as he arrogantly assumed all along Connery would take the extended cameo role.

Connery would have returned if the role was worth it. They should have written a bigger role for Connery. Having the character die onscreen would have been very emotional.

Toht's Arm

IndyForever said:

I agree, I still really like KotCS, even if it's the worst of the four. I just wish they'd gone with City of the Gods instead...

Randy_Flagg

IndyForever said:
When I see complaints about KOTCS, the 50s setting is usually very low on the list (if at all.) Even if people weren't a huge fan of that time period for an Indy film, it doesn't really affect the movie THAT much, particularly once they get to South America. And that's what I'm hoping for with Indy 5. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of Indy in the late 1960s, but if most of the movie takes place in some remote setting where the decade doesn't matter much, then it could work, provided the script and plot is solid, and Steven doesn't overboard with the silliness (not that Indy should ever be an extremely serious movie, but it shouldn't be downright goofy... at least not TOO often. The tone they managed to strike in Raiders was perfect.)

IndianaBones

I realize my idea was hokey, but I think a big problem is that KOTCS locked Indy in too much, that getting a satisfactory Indy V would be very difficult. He is married now, with a son. Henry, Sr. is dead. He is an Assistant Dean.

Going into an Indy V, you can't just forget the existence of Mutt and Marion, even though it would be ideal, that would never happen. You can't kill them off immediately or else that would be hamfisted and would come off badly. If Marion is in the picture, that means you won't have the old womanizing Indy. If Mutt is there, he'll take up some of the action (which is something we DON'T want) and a good chunk of screen time given Spielberg's mancrush on him. Which we don't want either.

So either you'd get a movie which basically ignored the events of KOTCS (which would never happen) or you get a Jones Family Adventure, starring Mutt Willians and co-starring Marion Ravenwood and Indiana Jones. Which no one wants.

It isn't like The Mummy franchise where the actor who plays the lead adventurer is still young. Brandon Fraiser is only 43 and thus despite his character being married and having children, he could still do pretty much any sort of action scene believably without it seeming hokey. Also that series isn't forever bound to the massive ego and stubbornness of George Lucas. Indy's fate is.

Indy V, even if they filmed it this year, would feature a 70 year old Harrison portraying a 50 or 60 something Indy...Not much room for believable stunts ala the original trilogy. Not jumping on to tanks. No going under trucks. His role as a man of action would either have to be utterly muted, which is something most Indy fans wouldn't go for, or have it mostly handled by Mutt, which again is something most Indy fans don't want. And they can't even do any outrageous stunts: How can you outdo the Nuked Fridge without being even more cartoonish? How can you put Indy up against something which surpasses that unless you have him face down a demon or Cthullu?

Really, KOTCS painted Indy into what I see as some rather inescapable corners. The only options I see are going for either a Hitchcockian or Twilight Zone-esque Indy V and somehow giving Mutt and Marion as little screentime as possible, which can be done. Or doing something truly radical and having Indy meet Cthullu or something.

The idea of Indy and the Bermuda Triangle and Indy actually facing a terrifying monster, something right out of Lovecraft's works, would be interesting....

But sadly the most likely scenario is that the last we'll ever see of Ford's Indy is him getting married in what was a mediocre film--That the series will have ended with a whimper rather than a bang...And that saddens me. Indy's final farewell deserves better than what KOTCS delivered, which is why I hope against hope that a good Indy V is made to finish up the series and give Indy a truly respectable ending, worthy of the character who went through the events of the original trilogy.
Do you still hold this same opinion now?