General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Udvarnoky

Okay I know it's off-topic, but am I the only one who finds it weird that Pirates of the Caribbean 5 has a Summer 2017 release date considering production wrapped last summer? I understand that they're trying to avoid the Summer 2016 crowd, but still -- two years is a really long time for a movie to be in post-production when it isn't motion capture and there aren't overarching studio troubles involved (The Cabin in the Woods). What's the precedent?

DOOMSTOWNFRIDGE

2018 is the rumour of when they're thinking,so it's not going to be on any public release schedule YET ,there's going to be some major humble pie eaten by a certain mod when it comes out with Harry and Steve :whip:

Pale Horse

Staff member
DOOMSTOWNFRIDGE said:
...there's going to be some major humble pie eaten by a certain mod when it comes out with Harry and Steve....

This, is a gentleman's bet. I'll put one bottle in escrow for you. AND I expect a boat load of these in return for me and my friends (Gonzo, Finn, Roundshort, and others I can't remember right now)...when 2018 comes and goes with neither an Indy with Harry Steve, or in fact an Indy at all.

7142009_fourrosesmarriage08.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
curmudgeon said:
I transcribed the opening part of the comment
Thanks, I forgot about that after listening to the entire Iger interview. Nothing else on Indy, just Bloomberg TV panicking about ESPN and the demise of pay TV. Relevant chart at 24:00, showing Disney park and feature revenues far behind TV.

IndyForever

Udvarnoky said:
Okay I know it's off-topic, but am I the only one who finds it weird that Pirates of the Caribbean 5 has a Summer 2017 release date considering production wrapped last summer? I understand that they're trying to avoid the Summer 2016 crowd, but still -- two years is a really long time for a movie to be in post-production when it isn't motion capture and there aren't overarching studio troubles involved (The Cabin in the Woods). What's the precedent?
Its because to save money they are not rushing post production. Movies cost a huge amount of money when they rush post production & increase drastically overtime costs to visual effects especially. That cost 20-25% more on the budget!!!

Udvarnoky

I don't care how relaxed post-production is -- it's not going to take two years of active work. Time is still money. The movie will be on a shelf for year.

IndyForever

Udvarnoky said:
I don't care how relaxed post-production is -- it's not going to take two years of active work. Time is still money. The movie will be on a shelf for year.
Your missing the point still! All this post production work cost a LOT of money. If they rush it like most films do to make a release date it adds tens of millions of dollars in overheads to the visual effects & post production editing budgets.

By going slow they can save up to $100m which increases massively the break even point for the studio. POTC4 box office in US was very low. Only outside US box office saved that film from financial failure.

POTC5 is going slow due to them using way cheaper VFX studios overseas & slow unrushed post production. This means it costs a lot less so the profit margin is massive & the studio risk to Disney very low.

What typically happens on most sequels is they get a release date, then a rushed story, then a budget, then realise its not going to make the release date so they rush post production through which adds tens of millions to the budget. Its the modern lazy way to make Hollywood sequels.

POTC 5 is going very slow because its a cheap way to make the movie so they do not really care how long it takes as they know US box office will be lower its all about outside US box office which was over $800m on POTC4.

Back on topic when/if Indy5 gets made they could have a very minor crossover element like include some treasure from the POTC series which is part of the pre title series adventure.

I still think Atlantis would & could work for an Indy 5 concept. Make it a quest for camelot then turn that into camelot (via the knights of the roundtable myth) is actually an underground chamber which leads to Atlantis & a larger than life captain nemo (another Disney property no less!) character who may or may not be an Atlantian or some other unknown race. Leave it all unexplained take the less is more approach if there making 2 more Indy (filmed back to back) with Harrison part 1 can be the cliffhanger with him facing certain death & part 2 can be the resolution & explanation as well as some background to Atlantis before it all concludes with Indy barely escaping & Atlantis collapsing forever creating a new landmass (which is actually an existing landmass).

If its only as good as KOTCS & at times touches some of the OT quality your talking $1.5-2b per movie. Everyone is happy. Harrison will retire. Spielberg got his chance to redeem KOTCS (which I thought was excellent) & Disney get their $4b Lucasfilm investment back.

curmudgeon

... moving on...

http://www.thewrap.com/harrison-for...est-grossing-actor-in-u-s-box-office-history/

Here's an article about how Harrison Ford's films have now domestically out-grossed any other actors (not accounting for inflation, I have to assume).

It also notes that he and Samuel L. Jackson: "will likely jockey for position over the next several years, as Ford has sequels to ?Indiana Jones? and ?Blade Runner? on the horizon, and it?s possible that he may appear in ?Star Wars: Episode VIII,? as currently listed on the actor?s IMDb page."

It means next to nothing at all. I just wanted to break the awkward silence.

Udvarnoky

The site hasn't been updated in years, and has primarily served as a promotional outlet for the fourth movie and the Blu-ray set. They probably just figured a splash screen for the Blu-rays was more efficient.

Although, anyone looking for reference quality copies of all those Crystal Skull TV spots probably better perform whatever black magic it takes to extract them while they still can.

The Reaper

A few things:

Indy will happen with Ford. No other actor will play the part in the near future, as confirmed by Frank Marshall.

2018 is almost guaranteed. So is the film being set in the 1960s. It was created with the intention of being a kind of homage to James Bond so how cool would it be to have it be a sort of spy thriller type Indy film? It would perfectly book end the series.

Spielberg will direct, Lucas might contribute some story ideas but that's doubtful. This is the way it will go down. All this nonsense about different actors, different time periods, Ford coming in at the beginning and then the end... I don't see that at all.

Wilhelm

They could use a digitally de-aged Ford like Michael Douglas in Ant-Man's opening scene (Only for the usual action prologue set in the 1930s or 1940s). After that they could tell the last adventure of Indy involving a famous biblical artifact (No aliens this time). An older Indy in the style of Sean Connery playing Quatermain ("The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen") when he was 73 years old.

The last shot of this movie could be very emotional, because it will be the last time we see Harrison Ford playing Indy or, maybe, the last time we see Ford in the screen (Like John Wayne's last movie "The Shootist").

Udvarnoky

The Reaper said:
2018 is almost guaranteed. So is the film being set in the 1960s. It was created with the intention of being a kind of homage to James Bond so how cool would it be to have it be a sort of spy thriller type Indy film? It would perfectly book end the series..

I suppose in theory, they could set the film in 1959. Kind of like how Last Crusade was supposedly set shortly after Raiders despite being made eight years later.

It all depends on how scared Spielberg is of actually bringing Indiana Jones into the 1960s. And there's good reason to be scared of it. I think the best approach is to stay away from America (a la Temple of Doom) so as not to have to deal with pop culture stuff.

Walecs

The Reaper said:
So is the film being set in the 1960s. It was created with the intention of being a kind of homage to James Bond so how cool would it be to have it be a sort of spy thriller type Indy film? It would perfectly book end the series.

I like this idea a lot. :whip:

Lambonius

Udvarnoky said:
It all depends on how scared Spielberg is of actually bringing Indiana Jones into the 1960s. And there's good reason to be scared of it. I think the best approach is to stay away from America (a la Temple of Doom) so as not to have to deal with pop culture stuff.

I think some scenes in the first act showing Indy on campus dealing with 1960s student culture could make for some great moments, honestly. As long as they were kept to the beginning of the film. If done right, it could really add weight to the idea that this guy feels "in his element" only when out in the wild, exploring digs, lost ruins, etc. Take the rest of the film out of the U.S. and keep it away. Just don't ruin the pacing half way through like they did with KOTCS. :)

Lambonius

Walecs said:
I like this idea a lot. :whip:

I think it's interesting and could definitely be cool, but let's be realistic--there is no way Disney is not going to "play it safe" with the new Indy movie. I fully expect a Force Awakens style retread. Which could still be awesome, mind you.

Z dweller

Lambonius said:
let's be realistic--there is no way Disney is not going to "play it safe" with the new Indy movie. I fully expect a Force Awakens style retread.
Correct.

As posited before, Disney's hugely successful TFA approach will no doubt be also applied to Indy 5.

They'll go right back to the roots of the movie series, which can hardly happen if the whole adventure is set in the 60s on account of Ford's age.

A few scenes bookending the main story are all that "Indy in the 60s" fans can hope for, and the odds of Ford being in the movie at all are getting longer every day.
Lambonius said:
Which could still be awesome, mind you.
Agreed.

Indy in his prime in the late 20s or early 30s, bring it on! (y)

Last edited:

Duaner

The Reaper said:
2018 is almost guaranteed. So is the film being set in the 1960s. It was created with the intention of being a kind of homage to James Bond so how cool would it be to have it be a sort of spy thriller type Indy film? It would perfectly book end the series.

A spy thriller type would not fit Indiana Jones.

Udvarnoky

I'm not sure about that. I mean, you couldn't go full-on James Bond, obviously, but a certain element of espionage wouldn't be out of place in an Indy movie. Darabont did the Hitchcockian man-on-the-run thing to great effect in the first act of his Indy 4 script, and of course Crystal Skull acknowledges a lot of off-screen spy missions with Indy and Mac during WWII.

Indiana Jones movies tend to honor a lot of different influences (A dab of Casablanca here, a touch of Sierra Madre there) without completely going off track, so if the next Indy did pay tribute to spy thrillers I don't think it would be implemented in a way that overwhelmed the whole thing.

Walecs

Udvarnoky said:
I'm not sure about that. I mean, you couldn't go full-on James Bond, obviously, but a certain element of espionage wouldn't be out of place in an Indy movie. Darabont did the Hitchcockian man-on-the-run thing to great effect in the first act of his Indy 4 script, and of course Crystal Skull acknowledges a lot of off-screen spy missions with Indy and Mac during WWII.

Indiana Jones movies tend to honor a lot of different influences (A dab of Casablanca here, a touch of Sierra Madre there) without completely going off track, so if the next Indy did pay tribute to spy thrillers I don't think it would be implemented in a way that overwhelmed the whole thing.

Exactly.

I seriously hope Disney is not going to make a half-remake of Raiders nor will include tons of homages in Indy 5. I hated SW7. I'd rather have another KOTSC than a safe movie.