help with my raiders jacket (with pics)

thehero21

i just got Todd's Indy jacket and it fits great but it doesn't really cling to me the way it does on Ford in raiders. i know his was obviously fitted to him perfectly but Im really new to all the replica indy jackets and the pro's and con's of them. Ive researched alot of the other available jackets and none of them appeared to be as thin as the screen-used one, or at least didnt look like they clinged to the body like Ford's. i would love to know from you guys which jacket you think best replicates the raiders one in terms of fit and how thin it is, or atleast tips/techniques for distressing or acquiring that fit, i would greatly appreciate it. heres a pic that shows the look im after and below that is a pic of mine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

indyclone25

well you just got it , once the leather relaxes on you it will look fine , give it time , i wore mine about a month before it started to have a look similar to indy's in the movie where the collar on tha right curled a bit and the left kept a bit even , it will just take time ..

Goodeknight

Well, Wested has a standard Raiders jacket, and also an 80s fit Raiders jacket that is more SA. It's essentially a much more fitted (tighter) jacket that was more 80s style. Yours has a more classic, timeless look, which I personally prefer.

As others suggest, distress it, and wear the heck out of it. It'll look better and better over time.

fenris

Some have suggested taking a shower with the jacket on. It will help the leather to shrink and conform to your body.

Tried it on my jacket, but never got enough shrinkage. I think the leather of the new batch of Todd's jackets are more resilient to shrinkage... Or I was being too gentle - if you could call soaking it in hot water gentle.

Goodeknight

fenris said:
Some have suggested taking a shower with the jacket on. It will help the leather to shrink and conform to your body.

Tried it on my jacket, but never got enough shrinkage. I think the leather of the new batch of Todd's jackets are more resilient to shrinkage... Or I was being too gentle - if you could call soaking it in hot water gentle.

For real shrinkage, you'd want to put the wet jacket in a hot dryer. I'd be very careful, though, because that could easily wreck a jacket. It would shrink the sleeves, too, which are just the right length now, based on that pic.

Also based on that pic, I wouldn't try to shrink it. It fits fine now. The 80s look jacket would be too tight and uncomfortable. You want freedom of movement.

Distress it. Wear the heck out of it. And be happy. It's an awesome jacket.

Goodeknight

thehero21 said:
thanks for the replys, so wearing it during a hot shower is one solution?

Yes, but dance around in the shower with your arms up. Like I said, the sleeves look to be a perfect length. They won't be anymore if you shrink it.

fenris

goodeknight said:
Yes, but dance around in the shower with your arms up. Like I said, the sleeves look to be a perfect length. They won't be anymore if you shrink it.

Maybe he could avoid getting the sleeves wet? That's what I did to mine. I only soaked the sleeves (but didn't get any significant shrinkage).

thehero21

like suggested, i think i just need to wear it in a bit to get that right fit, i do think its about an inch or two too short but thats no big deal

Goodeknight

thehero21 said:
like suggested, i think i just need to wear it in a bit to get that right fit, i do think its about an inch or two too short but thats no big deal

Mine was made by Wested to my measurements, and it feels an inch or two too short, as well. It's just the fit of the jacket. So don't get too upset about that. Really a pretty short jacket that's supposed to fall a bit high on the hips. Right at the belt line. I'm sure some fashionistas could talk all about how a short jacket makes you look taller or something. But it does get breezy in cold weather. In retrospect, I think I would have liked the TOD pattern better. They were an inch or so longer.

These pics help illustrate that it's a short jacket:

2870211019_400e5889d0_o__59383_zoom.jpg

indiana-hat-in-the-last-crusade-with-sean-connery.jpg

ravenbar.jpg

I haven't checked the specs, but it looks longer for CS -- unless Harrison has his pinks hiked up like old-man-pants.
Indiana-Jones-and-the-Kingdom-of-the-Crystal-Skull-harrison-leather.jpg

Short jacket allows for more freedom of movement. And I just realized that the shortness of the jacket lets you see more of the holster and MK VII bag. So it's a good costuming decision.

thehero21

thanks for the insight goodeknight, i liked the really fitted look of the raiders jacket best opposed to the other 3 films where its much longer and less fitted, although the TOD jacket has a great look to it. i may have read this here of on another forum but didnt spielberg,lucas and ford hate the raiders jacket? and that picture of Ford from CS always cracks me up, because its obvious all his clothes are straight of the rack new, i guess they didnt bother to distress or for the first time Indy did his laundry.

Indy Byrd

and that picture of Ford from CS always cracks me up said:
I agree that the picture in question looks like Indy's clothes are off the rack new. However, if I may, point out one over view that I am sure that everyone here has not thought about. It came to me in a "AH HA" moment...in the movie, the last time prior to Indy and Mutt going to Peru, we see Indy in his gear, he is crawling out of a fridge in the Nevada desert after an atomic blast, correct??

If I read into the after effects of any type of nuclear exposure, then the person must shed all their clothes and they are burned to eliminate the possibility of exposure. Now, that said, his jacket is distressed because it was not with him in the desert.

However, I do not know about the whip, hat, or the bag. It would be assuming that those would be destroyed as well. One option is that he had a few as spares as the incident at the TOD rid him of a shirt, pants, and a bag before he left. In Raiders does he not get grazed with a bullet that rips into his jacket? So it could be safe to say that he had others as backups in case something happened to them in the field.

Would this be safe to say as most of us have more than one of our gear? I know that I have a few pairs of pants and shirts. Wouldn't a man whose life is spent in the field and in precarious situations where his clothes are prone to being ripped or destroyed? Just a thought....

Oh and one more thing to add...I have a Todd's jacket and I love the fit. Just wear it everyday and the fit will come.