Ideas For New Indy Actor

Z dweller

Face_Palm said:
Thoughts on Gosling?
Despite a great performance as Officer K alongside Ford in Blade Runner 2049, I'd still say no.

He's not rugged enough, and I really can't see him portray Indy's academic side convincingly either.

Also, at 36 he's already getting close to an age where any new movies would clash with the established timeline.

I suspect Disney will eventually go for someone younger.

Face_Melt

Z dweller said:
Despite a great performance as Officer K alongside Ford in Blade Runner 2049, I'd still say no.

He's not rugged enough, and I really can't see him portray Indy's academic side convincingly either.

Also, at 36 he's already getting close to an age where any new movies would clash with the established timeline.

I suspect Disney will eventually go for someone younger.

Have you seen Half Nelson? He plays a good professor. I also suspect that disney will want the new Indiana Jones to be about the same age as Ford in Raiders. New films set in the 1930’s. Which if they want to introduce Gosling in a flashback in Indy 5 he would be about 39 which is how old Harrison was in Raiders.

Finn

Staff member
Gosling looks youthful enough to easily play a character ten years younger than his real age, so the fact that he's in his late thirties shouldn't be much of an issue.

Now, as for him being the right man otherwise... I guess I'll say the same thing I said back when were debating the suitability of Chris Pratt. Namely, the fact that we haven't seen an actor in a certain kind of role yet doesn't mean he couldn't pull it off. People here tend to fall a little too easily into the pitfall of mental typecasting.

IndyBuff

Gosling might work; at this point it's too early to tell. I'm open to new actors so long as they can retain the spirit and feel of the films. I have to remind myself that there was a time when no one else could imagine anyone other than Connery in the role of Bond and, while Connery still remains my favorite, there have been many great and diverse takes on the character. I'm trying to keep that mindset with Indy because, like it or not, it will happen at some point.

Don'tCallMeJr

What about Jack Reynor? Purely appearance-wise I feel like this photo channels Indy with the leather jacket - not sure about his acting chops but I could see him in the late 1920s as a fresh-out-of-college Indy?

211462.max-620x600.jpg

Personally I can see Pratt in the role - thought he was great in Jurassic World!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hartmurmur

I'm curious to see if Ingruber can really act, beyond doing an impersonation. But his impersonation's pretty darn good, you have to admit and he totally resembles a young Harrison Ford! :D

foreignerfred

Last Crusade poster referenced?

Can someone with amazing photoshop skills artfully insert this picture of Alden Ehrenreich's face from "Solo"...

http://wegotthiscovered.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Solo-A-Star-Wars-Story-02.jpg[/IMGl]

...over Harrison's face in this:

[URL="https://milnersblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-classic-film-poster-without-word-all-text-removed.jpg"]https://milnersblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-classic-film-poster-without-word-all-text-removed.jpg[/URL]

The color pallet, Alden's expression and head tilt, even Donald Glover's position and expression (you could even substitute Glover for Connery), suggests to me that whoever compiled the Solo image reference the Last Crusade poster.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigasssnake

hi

They could make a father and son Indiana Jones movie but Chris Pratt playing an older Mutt Williams and have them doing something cool

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stranger Things have happened.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sTODD1NMNik" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

foreignerfred said:
Can someone with amazing photoshop skills artfully insert this picture of Alden Ehrenreich's face from "Solo"...

I have to admit that I also thought of Indy3 poster when I saw that Solo picture.
So (not that bad?):
tumblr_p582kuPcrb1s5eu9mo1_500.jpg

foreignerfred

davidgribouille said:
I have to admit that I also thought of Indy3 poster when I saw that Solo picture.
So (not that bad…):

So...question: If Alden does a great job in "Solo," will people -- will WE-- possibly want him for Indy as well?

Alden_Esquire_1.jpg

Pale Horse

Staff member
foreignerfred said:
So...question: If Alden does a great job in "Solo," will people -- will WE-- possibly want him for Indy as well?

Alden_Esquire_1.jpg

What's the over/under on Disney using River Phoenix, being resurrected from the dead, and aged appropriately to take the reigns. That's where I'm going, now. (y)

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
What's the over/under on Disney using River Phoenix, being resurrected from the dead, and aged appropriately to take the reigns. That's where I'm going, now. (y)
Even better, get Joaquin to play his brother portraying Ford playing Indy.

Et voilà ! :p

garzo

I'm confident Alden would be a good fit for the part if they go with him. He certainly looks the part in those new desert shots.

I would definitely like to see future films focus on a younger Indy as we have the 1930s pretty much covered with Ford's first three films. I was also a big fan of the Young Indiana Jones show back in the day and that could certainly serve as a template.

While I liked the magical McGuffins (crystal skull not so much) in the films, I always felt Spielberg and Lucas missed a lot of great potential storytelling by not deviating from the formula. Jones and the era by themselves offered plenty of opportunity for awesome globetrotting adventure without having to have some hocus-pocus trope - which seems to me is a trap for filmmakers who become convinced that you have to stick to a specific formula. Indy as a spy on the eve of World War II or during the war could have been a great story by itself, for example.

That's where the old Young Indiana Jones show really did well and was able to stand by itself as a solid series apart from the films.

We all know, after all, that Indy first encountered magical McGuffins in Raiders, as he expressed serious scepticism about "superstitious hocus-pocus" at the time. ;)

More on that here: http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12947