Indy 4 Lovers Thread

Darth Vile

The Man said:
Hating this movie? "Not as easy as it used to be."

A casually entertaining, even endearing disappointment.

A view close to my own... I find that as time passes, whilst some of the squandered opportunities seem more apparent, I find that there is actually more to like about the movie... be it the score (which I think is underrated), crumpled Ford doing his best Paul Newman impression, fantastic set design... I even find Mac to be an entertaining character (whilst recognising his woeful arc ditching in the final 3rd). ;)

The Man

Darth Vile said:
I find that as time passes, whilst some of the squandered opportunities seem more apparent, I find that there is actually more to like about the movie...

Agreed. More to like, though not less to find bothersome.

The Man said:
A casually entertaining, even endearing disappointment.
Evidenced solely by Attila's annecdote: reads like a few members here...

The Man said:
Wish I could expand further, but I'm due back in the 'Films' folder...;)
Still can't break the chains...shame that.

The Man said:
Agreed. More to like, though not less to find bothersome.
Lovely...but superficial. Come on...you can do it.

Stoo

The Man said:
Wish I could expand further, but I'm due back in the 'Films' folder...;)
Why don't you just be 'a Man' and do it then?:confused: It would be refreshing to see you discuss Indy in a way that goes beyond your usual, stupid sex jokes.:rolleyes:

Personally, I couldn't care less about what you think but other people have previously asked about your change in opinion. For some bizarre reason, you choose to remain silent on the issue, instead, preferring to scour the 'net for the latest news on upcoming films and then dumping your finds here.(n) Speak out, dork!:whip:

---
What do I love about "Skull"? Almost everything from the beginning up until the start of the cemetary scene.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Lovely...but superficial. Come on...you can do it.

I'd love to see it. The Man has had such strong views on this fourth film, and for his feelings towards it to have mellowed adds what I would suspect would be a very interesting perspective to our merry brand of Crystal Skull critics. There's, what, about a half dozen or so of us who are frequently involved in these sorts of discussions, especially over in (now ironically named) Haters Thread? And every one of us seems to like and dislike a very different set of things about the film, and for different reasons? The Man, you should be a part of this.*

*You'd also be a welcome presence in the Indy V tables, as your penchant for keeping track of movies in production and nearing release would suggest you likely have some definite ideas about what would excite you about a fifth film.

The Man

Attila the Professor said:
I'd love to see it.

As one of the more ardent 'haters' upon its release, I have planned a lengthy, retrospective review. Alas, my mind keeps changing on certain elements. I'll get there...:hat:

Stoo

*You'd also be a welcome presence in the Indy V tables, as your penchant for keeping track of movies in production and nearing release would suggest you likely have some definite ideas about what would excite you about a fifth film.
I disagree, Attila. What excites The Man are tasteless jokes about Mutt being gay, Marion's incestual relationship with Mutt, Indy's paedophilia with Short Round, etc. Do you really want to promote a pervert's musings about Indy 5?:confused:
The Man said:
I'll get there...:hat:
Right. You'll "get there" after www.aintitcool.com goes on strike...:rolleyes:

---
What do I love about "Crystal Skull"? The magnetic aspect of the alien corpse in the opening sequence.(y)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
I disagree, Attila. What excites The Man are tasteless jokes about Mutt being gay, Marion's incestual relationship with Mutt, Indy's paedophilia with Short Round, etc. Do you really want to promote a pervert's musings about Indy 5?:confused:

Well, the second of those is invited by the actor himself. While I'm on board with your distaste for these framings of the films' content, I think that's far from the whole of what he has to offer. Same goes for the (admittedly excessive) updates on other films. I don't see any need to be reductionist about what some folks here have to offer; the only point such dismissiveness can possibly prove is your own. Unless you're trying to spur others to be better by your own discouragement.

Stoo said:
What do I love about "Crystal Skull"? The magnetic aspect of the alien corpse in the opening sequence.(y)

That was cool. I know there was a lot of discussion awhile back about this being inconsistent, since we didn't see much of the magnetic properties in the latter portions of the film, past the discovery of the skull. That's one of those details I'm less inclined to care about, but something does at least feel off about it.

I love the sequence in Spalko's tent. The dialogue is all-around solid, the set dressing is evocative, the scientists and cameras are in keeping with the detailed grace notes of the earlier films (and harken specifically back to the filming of the opening of the Ark), and Indy looking at the skull has some legitimate tension involved.

oki9Sedo

I love the sequence in Spalko's tent. The dialogue is all-around solid, the set dressing is evocative, the scientists and cameras are in keeping with the detailed grace notes of the earlier films (and harken specifically back to the filming of the opening of the Ark), and Indy looking at the skull has some legitimate tension involved.

I agree. I love the intellectual, quasi-philosophical discussion scenes that reveal Indy's broad and deep knowledge and insight ("He was quoting the Hindu Bible" etc).

From a dialogue point of view, I really loved the scene in the decontamination chamber with Indy and the two federal agents, especially Ford's delivery during the heated "Air Force fiasco of '47" monologue. "None of us was ever given the full picture, and we were threatened with treason if we ever talked about it. So you tell me - WHAT WAS IN THE BOX!" Great, great stuff.

Stoo

Well, the second of those is invited by the actor himself.
The Man's sexually perverse & deviant angle was very clear much earlier...
While I'm on board with your distaste for these framings of the films' content, I think that's far from the whole of what he has to offer. Same goes for the (admittedly excessive) updates on other films. I don't see any need to be reductionist about what some folks here have to offer; the only point such dismissiveness can possibly prove is your own. Unless you're trying to spur others to be better by your own discouragement.
Attila, your optimism is admirable but this guy is nothing more than a movie fan who likes Indy (rather than an Indy fan who likes movies). Can he rise above his cheap, POSEUR, locker-room humour?:confused: Only time will tell...

Some people cannot seperate an actor from the character they portray and have a built-in like/hatred towards them. Case in point: Shia (for whatever reason). In 2008, I had NO IDEA who Shia was so he didn't affect my perception of Mutt...but goofballs like, The Man, had no love for Mutt simply because he was played by an actor who they already hated.:rolleyes:
That was cool. I know there was a lot of discussion awhile back about this being inconsistent, since we didn't see much of the magnetic properties in the latter portions of the film, past the discovery of the skull. That's one of those details I'm less inclined to care about, but something does at least feel off about it.
Indeed, the magnetic properties were not consistent during the latter parts of the film but the idea of it was something that I really gravitated to. The way the magnetics were used in the wareshouse were some of the few moments that made me sit up straight in my seat and say, "Now, this is good!"(y)
The tent scene was well done...especially the limited dialogue with Mac and the shot of the silohuettes of Indy & Spalko through the mosquito netting. I was truly entranced by the staring-into-the-skull bit (partly due to the haunting J.Williams score). Sucked me right in...

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
The Man's sexually perverse & deviant angle was very clear much earlier...

Stoo said:
The tent scene was well done...especially the shot of the silhouettes of Indy & Spalko through the mosquito netting.

You mean the bit where Spalko put her hand on his knee? The atmosphere was electric. It was obvious this was the woman for Indy. Best tent scene since Marion was tied up and Indy came in disguise.

Stoo said:
Can he rise above his cheap, POSEUR, locker-room humour?:confused:
Hey, there's a time and place for everything including locker room humor...and not all of it is cheap!

Stoo said:
Some people cannot seperate an actor from the character they portray and have a built-in like/hatred towards them. ...but goofballs like, The Man, had no love for Mutt simply because he was played by an actor who they already hated.:rolleyes:
Write what you like, but I still don't think Bradley Cooper would make a good Indy!:p

I'm a goofball? YOU'RE a goofball!

Stoo said:
Indeed, the magnetic properties were not consistent during the latter parts of the film but the idea of it was something that I really gravitated to.
Whoa-ho Ho! Thats why all those bullets didn't hit anyone! Still, they needed a brief, "wipe the bullets off the skull" insert.

If only Indy, recognizing the properties, could have used it to send some of those godless commies to hades...

Which begs another question!

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Whoa-ho Ho! Thats why all those bullets didn't hit anyone! Still, they needed a brief, "wipe the bullets off the skull" insert.

A neat idea but not for lead or copper-jacketed bullets. (Maybe George and Steve did something right in KOTCS?) ;)

Montana Smith said:
A neat idea but not for lead or copper-jacketed bullets. (Maybe George and Steve did something right in KOTCS?) ;)
Eh...maybe "magnetism" is the best term our simian minds can ascribe to the phenom...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Eh...maybe "magnetism" is the best term our simian minds can ascribe to the phenom...

Animal attraction then. All brutal and sweaty like Spalko and Indy... The Indy 4 love story that was just too hot to be told.

Montana Smith said:
Animal attraction then. All brutal and sweaty like Spalko and Indy... The Indy 4 love story that was just too hot to be told.

I get the whole Cate Blanchet thing but that wig was horrible!

Good thing that Smurp Thread was closed...

Rule 34 was it?

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I get the whole Cate Blanchet thing but that wig was horrible!

Good thing that Smurp Thread was closed...

Rule 34 was it?

I've seen fan fiction that also takes account of Rule 35...

Montana Smith said:
I've seen fan fiction that also takes account of Rule 35...
Ooof!:sick:

I'll tell you one thing, the title of the thread keeps throwing me...like it's some text message abbreviation for (4) a sensual guide to Indy.:eek:

I keep reading it in an Antonio Banderas voice...