Indy 5 news 2018

Nosirrah

Raiders112390 said:
I just realized something from that Berg interview, he says quickly, "It'll be late in the '60s, yeah"

So...I guess there goes the hope for it being pre Nam era.
Here's something weird, but not really. There was a 44-year gap between the action in Raiders (1937) and the release of the film (1981). There's a 51-year gap between 1967 and now. Yet to some of us (myself included, and presumably Spielberg), the Vietnam Era is still very much "present." Between Angkor Wat and the Plain of Jars, SE Asia offers great possibilities for an archaeo-adventure. But the genocidal regime of Pol Pot & the Khmer Rouge just doesn't play out in the media in the way that Nazis and Commies do, especially in terms of occasional comic relief. Put it this way: there wasn't any "Hogan's Heroes" or "M*A*S*H" treatment of Cambodia. Quite the opposite.

Which is too bad in cinematic terms. Angkor Wat is Petra on steroids. And Burma/Myanmar? Still mysterious and exotic-- but forget about location shooting (with cameras, I mean).

Z dweller

SHORT ROUND​
Hey Indy, whatever happened to Willie Scott?

INDIANA JONES​
(Grimaces)​
I hear she married a rich movie director.

:p

Joking apart, the article alleges that Jeong will "co-star alongside Harrison Ford".
If true, this would put a whole new spin on the young sidekick theory.
While not exactly a spring chicken, a 40-something Shorty would definitely be able to credibly kick some serious butt in action scenes.

The Lucasfilm press release goes on to say More information regarding the movie’s cast will be revealed soon.

Hmmm... this would a biggie - but I suspect it's just a prank, and I'm not alone.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Gear

Z dweller said:
A good one. ;)

Not really, I didn't buy it from the get-go, considering the day-o. I have been fooled before-tho. :eek:

Collegehumor summed it up.

Also, r/iamverysmart. So, don't even test my very high IQ. I watch Rick and Morty.

EDIT: it's possible this is misdirection. We shouldn't take anything too seriously at this point. Remember, 2006-07?; 'CGI will be at a minimum. Shot like the originals'.

Last edited:

Face_Melt

IndyForever said:
Spielberg states Indy 5 is Harrison's last movie in the role so its official now this is really the last hurrah :hat:

https://pagesix.com/2018/04/04/steven-spielberg-says-its-time-for-a-woman-to-play-indiana-jones/

But Spielberg said: ?This will be Harrison Ford?s last Indiana Jones movie, I am pretty sure, but it will certainly continue after that.?

?I am pretty sure? he says lol. Disney knows old Harrison brings in money. Even more money than young hot leads. Compare TFA box office to TLJ, one had Ford in the top billed role, the other had no Ford at all.

Z dweller

Face_Palm said:
Disney knows old Harrison brings in money.
He certainly used to.

But I'd wait to sing Indy 5's praises at the box office at this stage.
Don't forget that a huge chunk of goodwill was wasted with KOTCS.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this next outing ends up making less...

Face_Melt

Z dweller said:
He certainly used to.

But I'd wait to sing Indy 5's praises at the box office at this stage.
Don't forget that a huge chunk of goodwill was wasted with KOTCS.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this next outing ends up making less...

TFA followed the prequels and made the most money of the franchise.
And KOTCS was not ?poorly received? by any means. It has a 78% approval rating. That?s much higher than recent blockbusters. Ready Player One just came out and has a 75% approval rating. Avengers 2 has a 72%, Jurassic World a 71% and lets not even start with DC films.

Indy 5 will do big numbers. Probably at least a billion. Especially if it?s good.

Raiders90

I've stated before but I think Indy V will do somewhere in the ballpark of 600-800 million. Being generous I will give it 850 million, absolute tops. It will not be a success.

Even if there was a new guy in the role, Indiana Jones isn't that big of a franchise anymore, its brand has been out of the public consciousness for a decade (no games, no shows, no books, no comics, etc), and KOTCS did its share of damage. Plus there is no demand for it. Look around the web. Outside of this place there is no buzz or desire for a new film. No one cares anymore. KOTCS rode the nostalgia of Baby Boomers and Gen X and disappointed most - that audience has no desire to be let down again.

Indiana Jones lacks the built-in fanbase that Marvel has. Marvel movies do well because, besides being good, Marvel has built up a massive fandom over 70 years. It is a universe with a lot of different things to offer, and thus a lot of audience - from sci-fi fans (Guardians of the Galaxy) to people who like Nordic mythology (Thor) and everything in between. Indiana Jones is just one man, who, if we're being honest, is baked into the public mind as Harrison Ford, an old man.

Indiana Jones also lacks the massive and almost cult-like fanbase of Star Wars. People WANTED sequels to the original movies, perhaps even more than they wanted the prequels. Where is the demand for Indy V?

Indy films were basically big dumb fun B-movies in an era where nostalgia for the past ruled and Roland Emerich and Michael Bay weren't around yet. Its void has been filled and there is no nostalgia anymore for the 1930s/1960s like there was in the 80s.

Jurassic World was a success because Jurassic Park caught the imagination of the entire planet in 1993. It was an EVENT. The Lost World was also a success and while not as popular as the first, it introduced the franchise to a younger audience with its line of extremely popular toys and McDonalds tie-ins. While Jurassic Park 3 was lackluster, it didn't have 19 years of hype and thus extreme disappointment. Jurassic World also did well because of a viral campaign to re-introduce the franchise to the public which went on for almost a year before the film's release, and it banked on the nostalgia that Millenials have for the first two Jurassic Park films. What nostalgia do Millenials have for Indy? Their only experience with him, in real time anyway, is KOTCS. We grew up with Lara Croft and The Mummy. I've not met many people of my own age who love Indy.

Indiana Jones - not just Harrison Ford - is old hat.

Last edited:

Raiders90

Udvarnoky said:
Just how expensive do you imagine this movie to be?!

Well considering KOTCS was 185 million, and that was a decade ago, adjusting for inflation KOTCS cost $224,000,000. And that's not counting the added online viral marketing of today's day and age and things along those lines which weren't around in 2007.

In today's world, anything under around 600 mil, unless it's an independent film or has a very very low budget, is generally considered to be a flop. And even if you get 800, 850 mil...that's not really all that respectable.

Let's say the budget is 250 million. They need 500 million just to break even. And if it only makes 850, that's only 350 million in Disney's pocket - pocket change for them.

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:
Well considering KOTCS was 185 million, and that was a decade ago, adjusting for inflation KOTCS cost $224,000,000. And that's not counting the added online viral marketing of today's day and age and things along those lines which weren't around in 2007.

In today's world, anything under around 600 mil, unless it's an independent film or has a very very low budget, is generally considered to be a flop. And even if you get 800, 850 mil...that's not really all that respectable.

Let's say the budget is 250 million. They need 500 million just to break even. And if it only makes 850, that's only 350 million in Disney's pocket - pocket change for them.

Disney won?t turn down 350 million, not a chance. That?s pure profit. No matter how big of a studio you are, you won?t turn down 350 million in profit. Sorry buddy.

That being said, this is a billion dollar film easy.

Raiders90

Face_Palm said:
Disney won?t turn down 350 million, not a chance. That?s pure profit. No matter how big of a studio you are, you won?t turn down 350 million in profit. Sorry buddy.

That being said, this is a billion dollar film easy.

Obviously they won't, but I'm simply trying to argue my case that Indy won't make a billion. I also really can't see the series making it to a sixth part. Spielberg suggested turning Indy female but we (and Disney) have already seen the backlash to the female Ghostbusters film and the female Doctor Who.

Even if you don't go the risky female Indiana Jones route, I really don't think there's much demand for Indiana Jones in general - Harrison, no Harrison, new actor or not.

I also think people here overestimate Harrison Ford's star power. The only reason TFA did so well wasn't because of Harrison but the possibility of seeing Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie etc again....I think Harrison these days, on his own, is a box office dud. When was the last time he had a real hit on his own merits?

I just think they're making a product with very little demand for it.