Filming Locations

Stoo

MDew said:
You could tell they tried to keep the main unit as central to the Prague area as possible - probably not only from a cost-saving perspective but also I'm sure the logistics of filming around certain landmark sites & the fact that the surrounding areas have altered so much over the years.
A fair assumption, MDew, about the areas changing. Prague would've been an ideal location in this regard because it didn't suffer nearly as much damage during WW2 as other major cities. It survived relatively intact & remains pretty much unblemished by modern buildings.

Having been to Prague twice (Sept '07 & July '08), I can attest to its beauty and time-transporting vibe.:)

It would be nice to see a full list of all the places that Prague doubled for in the series. Do you feel like doing a count?
MDew said:
I too am always impressed with the level of detailed research that went into this show. They really did their homework! :hat:
Too right...and before the age of the Information Super Highway, which makes their research even more admirable. They weren't fooling around.(y)

P.S. Just remembered, there's still a Barcelona location I've been meaning to tell you about!

MDew

Stoo said:
It would be nice to see a full list of all the places that Prague doubled for in the series. Do you feel like doing a count?

So far, locations within the city of Prague have stood in for:

Paris (Paris 1908/1916/1919)
Vienna (Vienna 1908)
Florence (Florence 1908)
Mockba/Moscow (Russia 1910)
St. Petersburg/Petrograd (Petrograd 1917)
France, Germany (Attack of the Hawkmen)
Barcelona (Barcelona 1917)
Waterloo (Treasure of the Peacock's Eye)
New York (Scandal of 1920)
Los Angeles (Hollywood Follies)

And I'm sure there are a lot more I haven't found yet...

Stoo

MDew said:
Waterloo (Treasure of the Peacock's Eye)
You must mean London for this location because Waterloo is in Belgium. The part with the train in, "Peacock", is supposed to be Waterloo Station in London.

(Coincidentally, I've been to both of those Waterloos within the past year. Seeing the battlefield was a life-long goal.:))

Thanks a lot, MDew, for putting together that handy list.(y) It's hefty, too, because there are many more places than expected and I've been to all of those cities except the 2 Russian ones. During my Prague trips, I might have walked by filming spots without even realizing it, since I wasn't looking out for them.

Also surprising to learn that Prague was used for American cities. Stuff like this really demonstrates how brilliantly executed the show's production management was and how they cut corners yet still achieved a full-blooded series, crammed with continuity & historical detail. My love for the show has just gone up another notch.

Oh, and uh, your investigation skills are most impressive, Mr. Mountain Dew!:hat:

MDew

Well I just secured tickets for an Italy trip later this year, so the hunt is on! I already made one exciting discovery today but could definitely use some help for the rest! :gun:

P.S. Stoo, what's this all about? Don't get me all excited like that!
Stoo said:
P.S. Just remembered, there's still a Barcelona location I've been meaning to tell you about!

Last edited:

Stoo

MDew, congrats on identifying Giulietta's house since that is a wildly incredible feat! Your investigation skills are astounding.:)

Re. Barcelona:
- A couple of the opening shots. I have photos & precise points.
- The scene where Indy sneaks into the Count's car. You've identified a couple of locations on your website but I'll elaborate further with a comprehensive graphic of the whole route.

Re. Your upcoming trip:
I've been going to Italy every summer since 2001 and have been driving across the border into the Italian Alps since 2007. Even driven down the entire east coast all the way to its end (& beyond to the bottom of Sicily). Identifying locations from Young Indy is something which has never happened in all that time so GOOD LUCK in your quest!

Have a blast in Italy. Eat lots & lots of food because it won't get any better than there! When & where are you going?:confused:

Last edited:

MDew

Cool, I'm really looking forward to the trip (only my 2nd time in Europe). I leave in late March & will be there almost 3 full weeks, so I should be able to cover a lot of ground. But it is a family trip, so I can only dictate so much! We're still in the process of figuring out where all we want to go, we may even venture up to Switzerland. And yes, I do plan on gorging myself (y)

Stoo

Sounds great, man. Let me know if you decide to hit the Switz. Whatever you do in Italy, try your hardest to make it to Pompeii. It will freak you out, guaranteed!:D One of my 1st threads at The Raven was about my trip there. Check it out: Pompeii

Correction: When I wrote that I hadn't found any Italian locations, I meant from the "Northern Italy" episode (since I saw places from the "Florence" one).

From looking at the webpage of your "Northern Italy" discoveries, you've pretty much nailed many of the locations but IMDB.com also notes, Tomo, which is a mountain village just south of Feltre (Giulietta's house). Could this be the scene where Indy & Giulietta kiss?:confused: They are on a hillside and the Albion tower in Feltre is in the background.

---
Here are a couple of those other Barcelona spots, both in Gaudi Park (Park Güell) right next to each other. Don't know the GPS locations but see the diagram below for their precise points. (For fun, there's also a photo of yours truly sitting on the disc sculpture, looking uncannily similar to the flower seller in the show. 'Twas not planned, it just turned out that way!:))

BarcelonaComparison_06_GaudiPark_zps55e3ca93.jpg

BarcelonaComparison_04_GaudiPark_zps1aac50fa.jpg

BarcelonaParkGuell_Stoo_zpsad376d51.jpg

BarcelonaParkGuell_Map1_zps31cd0a43.jpg

Last edited:

MDew

Awesome, nice photos from Barcelona! I would love to go there sometime too.

I'm not sure what they would have filmed in Tomo, I'll have to keep looking. I'm fairly certain I'd found the site of the kissing scene (judging by the orientation of background buildings), on a hill just to the east of town. The picture on the site was down but now back up. Oh yeah, and I made another exciting discovery today! Not much left to find for that episode (there are a a few on the Google Map that aren't on the page too).

Pompeii is definitely high on the list of things to see. Coincidentally, yesterday I was just looking at the satellite images of the ruins and was completely astounded by just how big the site is, I had no idea. I will be taking LOTS of photos. :cool:

MDew

Italy Young Indy Locations Visited - IMAGE HEAVY!

I've just returned from my crazy Italy adventure and now begins the task of rifling through the hundreds of photos... It was exciting to finally visit some Young Indy locales in person, and I made some new discoveries as well! I thought I did quite well despite not having any reference photos with. :( Here's the first round of photos:
FlorenceLocations1_zpsf65ecc98.jpg

FlorenceLocations2_zpsa0a022e0.jpg

FlorenceLocations3_zps37a7396e.jpg

FlorenceLocations4_zps66f4d464.jpg

FlorenceLocations5_zps4bb1f48a.jpg

FlorenceLocations6_zpsbf80847b.jpg

FlorenceLocations7_zps5d4b8501.jpg

MDew

VeniceLocations1_zps82ca9964.jpg

VeniceLocations2_zpse3de6cc8.jpg

As I was walking around Venice, I stumbled across this location completely by accident and recognized it immediately - the building used as the Venice hospital in the "Tales of Innocence" bridging sequence. Quite the stroke of luck!
VeniceLocations3_zps51c36d31.jpg

VeniceLocations4_zpsee49468f.jpg

Stoo

MDew said:
I've just returned from my crazy Italy adventure and now begins the task of rifling through the hundreds of photos... It was exciting to finally visit some Young Indy locales in person, and I made some new discoveries as well! I thought I did quite well despite not having any reference photos with. :( Here's the first round of photos:
OUTSTANDING, MDew!(y) No reference photos?:confused: You amaze me, man. I can't believe you found so much and you got a really nice shot of the Ponte Vecchio. Superb all around. A+

Hope you had a great trip in Italia and ate lots of food.;)
MDew said:
As I was walking around Venice, I stumbled across this location completely by accident and recognized it immediately - the building used as the Venice hospital in the "Tales of Innocence" bridging sequence. Quite the stroke of luck!
Quite the stroke of luck, indeed! I would have never noticed that. You have a great eye!

fommes

I've visited Prague, and of course took some pictures from the apartment on Uvoz street, which according to the post on your site you could use, MDew? Is your e-mail on your site still valid?

MDew

Stoo said:
OUTSTANDING, MDew!(y) No reference photos?:confused: You amaze me, man. I can't believe you found so much and you got a really nice shot of the Ponte Vecchio. Superb all around. A+

Hope you had a great trip in Italia and ate lots of food.;)
Quite the stroke of luck, indeed! I would have never noticed that. You have a great eye!

Thanks Stoo! It sure was a memorable trip - I will be back for sure!

fommes said:
I've visited Prague, and of course took some pictures from the apartment on Uvoz street, which according to the post on your site you could use, MDew? Is your e-mail on your site still valid?

Yep, and I'd love to see them!

BiffMan

Love all the comparison shots! The attention to detail by ILM never ceases to amaze and the amount of subtle digital work on some of those shots is all the more striking when compared to a real-world shot of the same area.

Unfortunately that's probably why we've not seen Young Indy on blu-ray yet and may not for some time. To do it right, they're faced with some of the same issues the restoration team for Star Trek: The Next Generation were. With that much work done on the shots, they can't just go to a higher res or the VFX additions will be jarring, they'd likely have to recreate the effects at a higher res and re-composite the shots. Maybe Disney will be willing to fork over the money for that some day. :)

Stoo

MDew said:
Thanks Stoo! It sure was a memorable trip - I will be back for sure!
Very cool. Guess what? I'll be in Venice this weekend and have printed out your photos to bring with me!:D It seems that you've pretty much identified everything so there won't be anything new to discover but I can't wait to see the spots "in the flesh".
BiffMan said:
Love all the comparison shots! The attention to detail by ILM never ceases to amaze and the amount of subtle digital work on some of those shots is all the more striking when compared to a real-world shot of the same area.
Indeed. MDew's brilliant work shows how much colour correction was done. It's also very likely that the crew shot with tinted filters, as well.

Demitasse

Stuff in Germany?

Hi MDew old buddy! I'm living in Germany for the next year, is there anything Young Indy related to check out? I see from the site that they usually had Prague or elsewhere in the Czech Republic, or Slovakia fill in for wartime Germany... can you think of anything they shot here? :confused: thx!

MDew

Congrats on the move, there's certainly plenty to see and do there! According to the filming schedule, they did shoot portions of "Trenches of Hell" in Germany, but I have yet to find specifically where. :confused:

Stoo

Recent Discoveries in Barcelona

Went back to beautiful Barcelona for my 3rd time this past November and made some new finds.

When Indy sees the ballet poster, he's standing on the east side of the Barcelona Cathedral on Carrer del Comtes, facing the tiny Plaça de Sant Lu.

The theatre entrance looks different because that building had a huge fire in January 1994 (just 2.5 years after they filmed there) and had to be rebuilt. The Gran Teatre del Liceu opened again in 1999. Its location is right on La Rambla between Carrer de Sant Pau & Carrer de la Unió.

BarcelonaComparison_2015_01_zpsstgatv3k.jpg

BarcelonaComparison_2015_02_zpsrb2u2eek.jpg

More to come! :)