Indy 5 news 2018

FordFan

IndyForever said:
Spielberg says at the start of this radio interview Indy 5 will be set in the 1960s!

Also story & screenplay both still not finished & being worked on.

Would Indy meet the Beatles is asked & it sounds as though probably not.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP1ie2tsRus

It's a good sign to hear Spielberg say it has to be "great".

I'd be worried if he thought 'Crystal Skull' was exceptional, but by all accounts, he does not.

Couple that with them shooting in the UK, good stuff.

FordFan

I hope it doesn't hit, at least financially.

A complacent Spielberg is a bad omen going into Indy 5. The more he has to prove that he's still got it, the better.

IndyForever

FordFan said:

I'd be worried if he thought 'Crystal Skull' was exceptional, but by all accounts, he does not.

Crystal Skull was exceptional for the 2000s though quality wise its way better than most other movies released 2000-2010.

"straight down the pike for the fans" worries me a little still though.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/steven-spielberg-pinky-promises-to-not-kill-off-indiana-1782035848

But UK production base means its going to be mostly a European or UK shoot for location work. As its 1960s that for sure means communism is the enemy so either Russian, Chinese or German protagonist.

I still think it will be a hidden city or lost world type of movie its now way too expensive to turn outside shooting locations into the 1960s with the level of detail fans expect from an Indy movie. Indy 3 got away with that by using tight camera angles on establishing location shots.

Its quite possible Spielberg surprises us all & reuses some of the existing discarded ideas like the haunted castle from the Monkey King Chris Colombus screenplay as KOTCS was patched together using several abandoned concepts.

Pale Horse

Staff member
IndyForever said:
Crystal Skull was exceptional for the 2000s though quality wise its way better than most other movies released 2000-2010.

"straight down the pike for the fans" worries me a little still though.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/steven-spielberg-pinky-promises-to-not-kill-off-indiana-1782035848

But UK production base means its going to be mostly a European or UK shoot for location work. As its 1960s that for sure means communism is the enemy so either Russian, Chinese or German protagonist.

I still think it will be a hidden city or lost world type of movie its now way too expensive to turn outside shooting locations into the 1960s with the level of detail fans expect from an Indy movie. Indy 3 got away with that by using tight camera angles on establishing location shots.

Its quite possible Spielberg surprises us all & reuses some of the existing discarded ideas like the haunted castle from the Monkey King Chris Colombus screenplay as KOTCS was patched together using several abandoned concepts.

Indy needs a one on one antagonist in this outing. A Beloq. Someone who distinctly mirrors him.

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Indy paired up with a girl who isn't his love interest. It would be new to the franchise. We've seen him paired up with a former flame, his father, his son, and a child who was both a buddy and almost an adoptive son. We've never seen him paired up with a female colleague who was on his level who he didn't end up bedding. It would be interesting. But I don't trust Disney to do that without making the character into Rey and making a feminist statement with it.

Rey is no femist statement. I watched The Last Jedi last night. She spends the first half of the movie ?needing Luke? because she can?t fight the baddies by herself. When he turns her down, she doesn?t go ?well I have girl power I can do this myself!? Instead she goes, well I need another man then to save my ass which is Kylo Ren - who eventually does because the villain (another guy) is throwing her around like a rag doll. Not only is she a weak character, but she needs men to help her. Far from a feminist statement. Hell even though she?s the main character Luke has to save everyone?s ass at the end of the film again.

Face_Melt

FordFan said:

Well he does think Temple of Doom is the worst Indy film. He?s pretty happy with how Indy 4 turned out.

IndyForever

Pale Horse said:
Indy needs a one on one antagonist in this outing. A Beloq. Someone who distinctly mirrors him.
I agree but its going to be a communist antagonist most likely so that then narrows down the casting to either European or China & excludes most US actors. In fact apart from Indy its looking like its not going to use many US based actors so again it narrows the selection process somewhat.

Face_Melt

IndyForever said:
I agree but its going to be a communist antagonist most likely so that then narrows down the casting to either European or China & excludes most US actors. In fact apart from Indy its looking like its not going to use many US based actors so again it narrows the selection process somewhat.

Fassbender would be perfect.

Pale Horse

Staff member
IndyForever said:

Why can't be be a competitor? Even american? Why do we have to constrain them to a political ideal?

DirkPitt

I like the idea of old student of Indy being the main villan. There are various different (and potentialy interesting) possibilities in such a relation between teacher and learner.

Silvor

So David Koepp is set to direct a new movie later this year.
Kinda interesting given Spielberg's comments stating that they're still working on the story/script for Indy 5, which as we know Koepp is writing.
Could it be that he's no longer on the project?
Just seems a little odd to accept a movie directing job before the Indy 5 script is done.
Then again I don't work in the movie business, so who knows maybe this is not so unusual.

Udvarnoky

Koepp always seems to be signed to multiple projects at once, so it may mean nothing, but who knows? Six months ago he seemed to be suggesting that work was winding down.

IndyForever

Pale Horse said:
Why can't be be a competitor? Even american? Why do we have to constrain them to a political ideal?
1960s setting restricts to communism or nazi & also American is unlikely unless a double agent. Its bound to be someone with global box office appeal or someone who appeals to far eastern audiences actor wise. Lucas not supplying the budget means Spielberg will have to compromise on certain casting aspects I doubt he will have a blank cheque at all like he did on the 4 Lucasfilm only funded movies.

IndyForever

Face_Palm said:
Fassbender would be perfect.
He is too young to face off against Harrison. I think it will be someone in their early 50's probably an unknown or even perhaps christoph waltz who would be perfect if they can get him & Spielberg wants to even work with him (from his to work with list of actors he says he keeps).

IndyForever

Udvarnoky said:
Koepp always seems to be signed to multiple projects at once, so it may mean nothing, but who knows? Six months ago he seemed to be suggesting that work was winding down.
Its a given Lucas & Spielberg will both be tweaking the script between now & next April & like the other movies expect others to be involved & not get any credit.

I think Christopher McQuarrie would be the best choice to tweak it when he has finished MI6 as he is seriously talented at working under pressure & delivering the goods!

Udvarnoky

IndyForever said:
Lucas not supplying the budget means Spielberg will have to compromise on certain casting aspects I doubt he will have a blank cheque at all like he did on the 4 Lucasfilm only funded movies.

I don't know where you got the idea that the previous Indy movies were independently financed by Lucasfilm, but I assure you it isn't the case.