Misconceptions you had when you first watched the movies

Morning Bell

Dark Horse said:
Until yesterday, I always thought that was Toht on the plane to Tibet with Indy.

I always assumed it was too until I came here and read that it was supposedly someone different. I guess there's still a big discrepancy in the fan community about who it really is.

wolfgang

Well, I understand the guy is supposed to be Toht, but was being played by a double, not by the actor himself. So that's what they mean when they say it wasn't Toht. But to date I still believe it is. It is only logical. He even looks suspicious at Indy before going inside the plane. Watch it! That's what I think.

Dark Horse

wolfgang said:
Well, I understand the guy is supposed to be Toht, but was being played by a double, not by the actor himself. So that's what they mean when they say it wasn't Toht. But to date I still believe it is. It is only logical. He even looks suspicious at Indy before going inside the plane. Watch it! That's what I think.

Yeah, that's what I always thought. Toht being there made perfect sense. If it was someone else, then it's just pointless and confusing.

Hopefully someone will come along and clear this up. :D

Darth Vile

Dark Horse said:
Yeah, that's what I always thought. Toht being there made perfect sense. If it was someone else, then it's just pointless and confusing.

Hopefully someone will come along and clear this up. :D

That was the much esteemed Denis Muren playing the Nazi agent in that scene. I don't believe it was ever supposed to be Toht.

wolfgang said:

I would agree if Muren didn't stop before boarding the plane and give the area that long loving look. It's clearly not Toht, as Jorbex has gone further than that and provided a side by side or rather top and bottom comparison of the two. If I stumble upon it, I'll repost here.

As far as logic goes, until recognizing him outside the plane, as a child I thought the same. Revisiting my misconception, I realized that, like the second Nazi at the Raven, there were many Nazi agents world-wide. That a more efficient organization would tail Indy while another agent would report the destination of the flight and the appropriate actions would commence. Involving Toht as needed, when needed.

That always seemed reasonable in light of the evidence to me!

Oh...and The Complete Making of Indiana Jones has a passage where Muren talks about plaiying a Nazi Agent, not doubling or standing in as Belzig, (or Toht).

Skipper

Laserschwert said:
Actually I've never quite got the drinking "contest" between Marion and Belloq... especially his "I grew up with it" confuses me. Does it imply, that he can hold his drink (i.e. drink a lot of it without getting drunk)?
I don't think it was implying that Belloq can hold his drink. Belloq was just making conversation, noting that he was familiar with that particular brand of drink. Right before that, he said it was his "family label," right?

Dark Horse

I always thought Belloq meant he could hold his drink by his statement as well. Kinda like he grew up with it, so he's used to it/ can handle it.

Morning Bell

Dark Horse said:
I always thought Belloq meant he could hold his drink by his statement as well. Kinda like he grew up with it, so he's used to it/ can handle it.

When I first saw the film I took that line literally, thinking that he really did have his own brand. Then when I thought about it I realized what he was saying.;)

Insomniac

My best friend is a Indy fan but always is telling me things he thought or thinks about the series.
Most misconceptions are oral!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
The major misconception I used to have as a kid was that the airship Indy and Henry were on in LC was the Hindenberg!

And that they did it on the "Bantu Wind" in Raiders.... oh wait, I still think they did! ;)

Like someone else said before, there is a Ford lookalike on the submarine and the first couple of times I watched Raiders, I thought Indy was in disguise!

Ironically, I never thought Raiders was before ToD. I guess having seen ToD first and being able to read must have stopped that misconception from happening.

Morning Bell

Violet Indy said:
Like someone else said before, there is a Ford lookalike on the submarine and the first couple of times I watched Raiders, I thought Indy was in disguise!

Now that you mention it, I used to think this too. That scene fooled me for quite a while.

Short Rounded

Before I had seen Raiders (I had only heard about the boulder scene), I was surprised to find the boulder at the beginning of the film. I thought it was at the end and was the climax of the film.

Dark Horse

Here's another I remember - I always though the sub never submerged and Indy just stayed on top of it all the way to Nazi island. :D

Robyn

I guess this isn't much of a misconception but I never noticed until recently that Indy accidentally punches a woman at the beginning of Tod