The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones

harvey

IndyCast #159

spztah.jpg

Are you a Further Adventures Omnibus reader...or do you go old school with the original issues? Either way...read issue #12 along with us! (y)

http://www.forcecast.net/story/topstory/IndyCast_Episode_159_149867.asp

InexorableTash

Bullfighting in Issue 12

Not that it excuses the barbaric practice, but...

To put bullfighting in a historic/archaeological context, consider that it is the direct descendant of the Roman gladiatorial combat, typified by the Colosseum. In the days of Rome the "sport" included human-vs-human combat as well as human-vs-animal (and mock sea battles and presumably other forms of entertainment). But the circular arena with tiered seats, entrance archways, and desire for blood and bravado and showmanship and so forth haven't changed all that much in 2000 years.

The custom died out in most of former Roman Empire, but when I visited Portugal a few years ago we visited Roman ruins in a city that was still hosting bullfights on a regular basis. For some reason, the tradition stuck in the Iberian peninsula and its later colonies like Mexico.

harvey

InexorableTash said:
Not that it excuses the barbaric practice, but...

To put bullfighting in a historic/archaeological context, consider that it is the direct descendant of the Roman gladiatorial combat, typified by the Colosseum.

Where they also fed Christians to the lions. In a time where barbarism WAS the entertainment, it's certainly understandable (but as you referenced, inexcusable) that it DID happen...but in a time of supposed enlightenment (and endless available entertainment), I'll never understand how bullfighting is not only accepted...but encouraged. (n)

If Michael Vick had to spend time in jail...

Thanks for the input, and for listening, Tash!

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
The custom died out in most of former Roman Empire, but when I visited Portugal a few years ago we visited Roman ruins in a city that was still hosting bullfights on a regular basis. For some reason, the tradition stuck in the Iberian peninsula and its later colonies like Mexico.
The first time I went to Barcelona (where issues #11-12 take place) a bullfight was going to happen later on in the week. We were able to visit inside the arena and I stood in the middle of the ring, doing my best matador impersonation. We even saw the bulls who only had a few days left to live.

Barcelona_BullRing_zpse3190a56.jpg

This was in 2006 so I don't know if they are still going on because, when we went back a few years later, a larger arena (near the main intersection in the city centre) had been converted into a shopping mall.
harvey said:
Oh...and what do you think about this AWESOME fully-painted cover by Bret Blevins?? (y)
Hi, Joe. To be honest, #14 happens to be one of my least favourite covers of the series. Even if it's painted, it can't beat Michael Golden's contributions.

As for the IndyCast segment, unfortunately I haven't listened to any since issue #4.:eek: I keep meaning to but want to hear them in order with the actual issue in hand. Your updates here are appreciated because this makes it easier to directly know which episodes to listen to.

Having all this catching up to do, maybe I'll check out #5 tonight.:)

harvey

Stoo said:
To be honest, #14 happens to be one of my least favourite covers of the series. Even if it's painted, it can't beat Michael Golden's contributions.

Golden's cover run IS golden, but I don't think it diminishes the awesomeness (and unique nature) of Blevins' #14.

Stoo said:
As for the IndyCast segment, unfortunately I haven't listened to any since issue #4.:eek: I keep meaning to but want to hear them in order with the actual issue in hand. Your updates here are appreciated because this makes it easier to directly know which episodes to listen to.

Having all this catching up to do, maybe I'll check out #5 tonight.:)

Gah! Then you've missed Kerry Gammill, Dan Reed, Chris Strompolos and Eric Zala, and...whooooops! Wait for it... :eek:

Sounds like an IndyCast marathon weekend is in your future!!

Btw - when are we getting a Young Indy segment from you? :confused:

Stoo

harvey said:
Golden's cover run IS golden, but I don't think it diminishes the awesomeness (and unique nature) of Blevins' #14.
It's still one of my least favourites and I can think of plenty other covers which fit the "awesome" category.:)

Last night I listened to the reviews of #5 & #6 while flipping through the original issues (with the smell of old newsprint wafting in the air).

Lots of fun but we clearly have different tastes in some regards because I think H.Chaykin & T.Austin's cover for #6 is great. Composition-wise, it's very bold with a lot of suggested movement going on and I've always like Terry Austin's inkwork. The story is good, too. Sure it's not a typical globe-trotting pursuit of an artifact but one of the reasons I like this one is because it's different. This issue also evokes the 1930's more than many other in the series and, of course, the motorboat chase is a winner since they were such a staple of the Republic serials. Not to mention that this scene preceded the boat chase in "Last Crusade" by 6 years so it's a good example of how David Michelinie knew what he was doing when writing the stories.

As I've mentioned before, it's grating to hear your's & Keith's pronunciation of David Michelinie's name as: 'Mick-a-lie-nee' (instead of 'Meesh-ell-een-ee'). Now, it wouldn't surprise me if that's how David, himself, pronounces it but it sure does give me a chuckle everytime!:D

Thanks again to you & Keith for mentioning my trivia details about #3 & #4 (the Gatling gun and Montreal subway, respectively). I've got more...

The part in #6 where Marion threatens to put a bullet through the valuable, Caruso record of "La Triviata" is very similar to a scene in the noir film, "Kiss Me Deadly" (1955). In that movie, the hero (actually an anti-hero) needs some information from a man who happens to be an opera lover and fan of Enrico Caruso. He threatens the guy by breaking a collector's item record of Caruso singing, "Pagliacci". Could the scene in #6 be a coincidence or was David Michelinie inspired by that film?

(On a personal note: After my grandfather died, we were getting rid of his old, 78rpm gramophone records but I kept the Caruso one simply because of this comic!)

The Frank Sinatra allusion in #6 is cool but, as you guys were said, it's a couple of years too early.

Oh, and nice sound clips of The Who!(y) I'm a bigger fan of them then I am of Indy.
harvey said:
Gah! Then you've missed Kerry Gammill, Dan Reed, Chris Strompolos and Eric Zala, and...whooooops! Wait for it... :eek:

Btw - when are we getting a Young Indy segment from you? :confused:
Yes, I completely missed the Strompolos & Zala segment and didn't see that great graphic above until today! You must post it and a link to the interview in these threads:

Raiders Adaptation Book Release! We need your support!
Raiders: The Adaptation Screenings

Re. a Young Indy segment from me? When I stop wasting time here at The Raven!:eek:

Stoo

harvey said:
Sounds like an IndyCast marathon weekend is in your future!!
Joe, the marathon is on right now. I just finished listening to more "Further Adventures" segments of the IndyCasts...

Issue 7-8 (#149-150): Two of my favourite issues!(y) Very nice to hear them discussed in such detail. (I'm also a fan of Abbott & Costello and enjoyed the references to "Africa Screams" especially since both of the famous, real-life, 1930s adventurers, Clyde Beatty and Frank Buck, played themselves in that movie and I'm sure that the title of issue #7 is a direct homage.)

---
Interviews:
Howard Chaykin (#146): Interesting talk but his plans for Indiana Jones/Batman and Star Wars/Superman crossovers are much too nerdy for my tastes. Thank G_d they were never made! Puke, vomit & BLE-E-ECCHH!:sick:(n)

Kerry Gammill (#147-148): Great interview with one of the best "Further Adventures" artists. Cool to hear that he's a fan of Republic serials! His gift of those unpublished pages for "Temple of Doom" is a sweet contribution to the show and a true EXCLUSIVE! Way to go, guys!(y)

Dan Reed (#152-153): An obvious Indy fan and I loved his enthusiasm on display. A fun listen and very easy to tell that he really enjoyed talking with you & Keith. (If you're a fan of the "Further Adventures", this 2-part interview is worth hearing!)(y)

---
Moving forward...the segments about 9 & 10 are on deck!

harvey

Stoo said:
Lots of fun but we clearly have different tastes in some regards because I think H.Chaykin & T.Austin's cover for #6 is great.

Keith loved it. I warmed up to it...but it's no #8. ;)

Stoo said:
As I've mentioned before, it's grating to hear your's & Keith's pronunciation of David Michelinie's name as: 'Mick-a-lie-nee' (instead of 'Meesh-ell-een-ee'). Now, it wouldn't surprise me if that's how David, himself, pronounces it but it sure does give me a chuckle everytime!:D

That's quite the odd beef as...that's how he pronounces it...and praised us for being in the minority of those who pronounce it correctly. But...if it makes you smile...

Stoo said:
Thanks again to you & Keith for mentioning my trivia details about #3 & #4 (the Gatling gun and Montreal subway, respectively). I've got more...

You're quite welcome. And...bring 'em!!

Stoo said:
Yes, I completely missed the Strompolos & Zala segment and didn't see that great graphic above until today! You must post it and a link to the interview in these threads:

I've posted the IndyCast link in multiple threads before and they were deleted by the mods. Apparently, there's a one link to one thread unwritten rule here. Go figure... (n)

Stoo said:
Re. a Young Indy segment from me? When I stop wasting time here at The Raven!:eek:

So stop wasting time and hop to it. We want to hear it!!

harvey

Stoo said:
Joe, the marathon is on right now. I just finished listening to more "Further Adventures" segments of the IndyCasts...

We're honored. And we truly mean that.

Stoo said:
Issue 7-8 (#149-150): Two of my favourite issues!(y) Very nice to hear them discussed in such detail. (I'm also a fan of Abbott & Costello and enjoyed the references to "Africa Screams" especially since both of the famous, real-life, 1930s adventurers, Clyde Beatty and Frank Buck, played themselves in that movie and I'm sure that the title of issue #7 is a direct homage.)

Any chance to get the greatest comedy duo of all time on the segment!

---
Stoo said:
Interviews:
Howard Chaykin (#146): Interesting talk but his plans for Indiana Jones/Batman and Star Wars/Superman crossovers are much too nerdy for my tastes. Thank G_d they were never made! Puke, vomit & BLE-E-ECCHH!:sick:(n)

Could have easily been train wrecks...but I have to admit, I would have rubbernecked...

Stoo said:
Kerry Gammill (#147-148): Great interview with one of the best "Further Adventures" artists. Cool to hear that he's a fan of Republic serials! His gift of those unpublished pages for "Temple of Doom" is a sweet contribution to the show and a true EXCLUSIVE! Way to go, guys!(y)

We were stoked. Glad you loved 'em as well!

Stoo said:
Dan Reed (#152-153): An obvious Indy fan and I loved his enthusiasm on display. A fun listen and very easy to tell that he really enjoyed talking with you & Keith. (If you're a fan of the "Further Adventures", this 2-part interview is worth hearing!)(y)

And his enthusiasm didn't end there. Cool stuff we're keeping under our fedoras for right now! :hat:

---
Stoo said:
Moving forward...the segments about 9 & 10 are on deck!

Ah, Gold Goddess...with a very special guest!!! (y)

in regards to bullfights...anyone read up on socio-political opposition before screaming "bloodsport?" In Spain, it went a lot deeper than tears from Ricky Gervais.

I got to see the bullfights in Barcelona, summer 2000. Packed stands with people from all walks of life...even saw a bull with so much fight in him get pardoned. Man, those Banderilleros are nuts!

Goodeknight

Karen Allen looks thrilled to be holding a 20-year-old comic book.

I wonder if stars in her position ever picked up comics like that just to see what their characters were doing in their continuing adventures. I mean, if I was a Hollywood type, and I played a character that appeared in comics (before or after the movie came out), I'd probably check them out. But it seems that would be the only reason Karen Allen would be curled up reading Marvel. Dontcha' think?

harvey

I don't know if she was thrilled, but she did get a kick out of it. And she wasn't aware there was an Indy comic.

Goodeknight

harvey said:
I don't know if she was thrilled, but she did get a kick out of it. And she wasn't aware there was an Indy comic.

Really?!? That's an extra-awesome moment, then. I can't believe she went that many years without being asked to sign one, or hearing about one, or whatever. Surprised she didn't know. Very cool.

Reminds me of the time I gave Dan Aykroyd a copy of a blues CD from a guy he hadn't heard of before.