Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Major West

Drones33 said:
So I assume your new Raiders is authentic lamb? How does the otr compare to the skin they use for the customs would you say? Any discernible difference or pretty much the same do you think?

Yes the authentic lamb. Very similar to the custom authentic lamb. Basically the same, thickness. Softness, colour etc. I suppose the only difference might be age. A custom is brand new made and an OTR could have been hanging on the rack for few weeks. The one I got seemed very fresh, like a brand new custom.

OTR on the right and my custom TOD on the left. ToD looks slightly lighter but it's a trick of the light as it's closer to the window in the picture.

Raids_LEATHERs.jpg

micsteam

The jacket looks perfect but a little long for Raiders cut, did you order it a custom length ?? Also is this a Hero or custom and in what hyde/skin ?? I really like it !!

Glenville86

Looks great Drones!

micsteam - I order all my Indy jackets longer in the front and back. Just not a fan of jackets too close to my belt. Much of it has to do with the cut on modern chino and jeans. If I wore real Indy pants, my jackets would look like car coats.....;) As it is with my normal wear, the backs sit about an inch or so below the opening of the back pockets.

micsteam

Hi Glenville86,
I agree with your choice to order the jackets a little longer than standard Raiders cut but I think when they were putting production together for Raiders they didn't want a slinging gun holster like Han Solo in Star Wars, they kept it closer to the hip. If you watch 30's-40's pictures everybody wore their holsters close to the hip and I feel they didn't want the jacket to hang on the holster or go over it, filming purposes. IMHO :hat: ... What do you think ??

Glenville86

micsteam said:
Hi Glenville86,
I agree with your choice to order the jackets a little longer than standard Raiders cut but I think when they were putting production together for Raiders they didn't want a slinging gun holster like Han Solo in Star Wars, they kept it closer to the hip. If you watch 30's-40's pictures everybody wore their holsters close to the hip and I feel they didn't want the jacket to hang on the holster or go over it, filming purposes. IMHO :hat: ... What do you think ??

Agree 100%. The Raiders jacket is my favorite one and I have many. I have a few that sit higher lengthwise than most of them. I still wear them but not as much as the slightly longer ones. The film design for the costume is wonky to fit the gear IMO. I have had 3-Wested Hero jackets (goat, lamb, horse) and have only kept the horsehide as the fit is too much for me but the horsehide seems to be the best fit.

Major West

micsteam said:
The jacket looks perfect but a little long for Raiders cut,

Depends which part of the film you're looking at. In the opening South America scenes the jacket appears to be about 3 inchs below his belt.

The Hero jacket will apear longer or shorter at the front or back depending on where it sits on your shoulders, and when zipped up it will appear to be shorter.

The Wested Standard Raiders pattern is different to the Hero pattern and IMO, looks better if it's not too short. Wheras the Hero jacket definitely looks better if it's a shorter length.

Drones33

Thanks guys.

micsteam said:
The jacket looks perfect but a little long for Raiders cut, did you order it a custom length ?? Also is this a Hero or custom and in what hyde/skin ?? I really like it !!

Its a custom made Raiders in authentic lamb, with a couple of Hero modifications, (nickel zip, gussets etc) based heavily on the specs of one of Major West`s jackets. I ordered it with a slightly longer back length at 26", specifically for the reasons that Glenville mentions; so that it sits just below the belt of modern cut chinos/jeans (which are lower on the hip than I like, tbh) but the overall effect works really well and I`m happy with the result. Its become the jacket I wear the most, at least until the chillier months come along.:hat:

Dr.Sartorius

Major West said:
Depends which part of the film you're looking at. In the opening South America scenes the jacket appears to be about 3 inchs below his belt.

The Hero jacket will apear longer or shorter at the front or back depending on where it sits on your shoulders, and when zipped up it will appear to be shorter.

The Wested Standard Raiders pattern is different to the Hero pattern and IMO, looks better if it's not too short. Wheras the Hero jacket definitely looks better if it's a shorter length.

I read the Peru jacket was actually the shortest at 23 inches.

Major West

Dr.Sartorius said:
I read the Peru jacket was actually the shortest at 23 inches.

A hero jacket at 23" will be the same as 25" Standard cut. When you look on screen the jacket is hanging over his gun holster unzipped. Also, don't forget the slouching shoulders on a Hero cut will make back length longer.

fridgeraider

Hi, picked up my first jacket. Wested in lamb off eBay.
IMG_20160903_1357537_rewind_zpswgvqtuxe.jpg

IMG_20160903_1357333_rewind_zpsi8kcg2se.jpg.html

Was a bit shiny so using what I had available rubbed it done with brake cleaner first, then a light rub with a scotch pad. Just a little patina!
IMG_20160903_1357537_rewind_zpswgvqtuxe.jpg.html

Hope you like.
IMG_20160903_1357333_rewind_zpsi8kcg2se.jpg

Dr.Sartorius

fridgeraider said:

Was a bit shiny so using what I had available rubbed it done with brake cleaner first, then a light rub with a scotch pad. Just a little patina!

Hope you like.

I think I remember seeing that on there. Good snag. What was the final price?

fridgeraider

Dr.Sartorius said:
I think I remember seeing that on there. Good snag. What was the final price?
I just took the buy it now option, as I had made up my mind I wanted it, and didn't want to risk it, as I've lost out before. It's a standard raiders in a 40 and fits well. there is enough space for a jumper in the autumn so I'm happy with it.

Dr.Sartorius

fridgeraider said:
I just took the buy it now option, as I had made up my mind I wanted it, and didn't want to risk it, as I've lost out before. It's a standard raiders in a 40 and fits well. there is enough space for a jumper in the autumn so I'm happy with it.

how much though?

Major West

I was just looking on ebay recently. The only used westeds I saw were about £75-100 so a good win there. Looks good. :hat:

fridgeraider

I coughed up £100. Felt that was good value compared to buying new. Plus I liked the fact it has a natural bit of wear on it on the edges here and there. If I was buying new, I'd go with a custom in the dark brown novapelle, I reckon.

Major West

Has anybody here used a wire brush on their jacket? I understand it was one of the two things used to distress the original Raiders jackets. I bought one the other day and briefly scraped it down my test jacket. It does leave scratch marks no doubt about it.

Drones33

fridgeraider said:

Hope you like.
Looks great. The scotch pad makes all the difference I think, and doesn't damage the stitching the way sandpaper does. (y)