Indiana Jones Adventures Volume 1

JimmyPSHayes

Guess what was on my invoice this morning?

77002900 MAR080028V INDIANA JONES ADVENTURES TP VOL 01

-So it will for SURE be in stores on Wednesday, June 25th!

yodazone

JimmyPSHayes said:
Guess what was on my invoice this morning?

77002900 MAR080028V INDIANA JONES ADVENTURES TP VOL 01

-So it will for SURE be in stores on Wednesday, June 25th!

hell yea! And Diamond just listed it on thier site today as well!:

http://www.previewsworld.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=6&s=430&ai=71707

IN COMIC SHOPS JUNE 25, 2008:

MAR080028 INDIANA JONES ADVENTURES TP VOL 01 $6.95

First original Indy comic story series in 12 years!

80 pages worth of "Indy" stories!

(y) (y) (y)

yodazone

In comic shops today!

15020.jpg

(y)

Tennessee Smith

I just got back from my local comic shop and he didn't get it in from Diamond Direct. He was told there was a problem with Diamond's shippng. I don't know if it was nationally or what? Either way, not in my shop.

yodazone

I called 2 of my local shops and they didn't get theirs either but another store is saying that they did receive. Although they might just be looking at their shipping lists. I'll check in person later to see if they really have in them stock. :whip:

lightsyder

yodazone said:
I called 2 of my local shops and they didn't get theirs either but another store is saying that they did receive. Although they might just be looking at their shipping lists. I'll check in person later to see if they really have in them stock. :whip:

I called my local shop and they did not get any Indy comics in today. Bummer...:mad:

Snakes

Jeez! Its been 3 weeks since they said it would be released. How much longer is it gonna be? This comic better be good!

yodazone

I think it will be. But Dark Horse has really been slow dancin' on releasing these new books around the time when the #1 movie on the planet is out right now. It's been a month since and nothing new!

Been waiting years to see some original "Indy" comic stories!

They could at least release the "Marvel Indy Omnibus" to tide the fans over during this wait....

Last edited:

Dust McAlan

I was at my LCS today with my son, because I told him that finally TODAY would be the day he gets his Indy comic. I searched high and low, didn't see it. They were still unpacking, so l checked near the boxes, and lo and behold there it was! I snatched it up, gave it to him, and we paid and left.

Reading these other posts, I wonder if I was supposed to be able to buy it today. Oh well. Tomorrow after I read through it again expect a review!

Wulfgang

I was at my comic store yesterday and saw a copy. Sadly, it was a copy that was ordered for another customer. My comic store lady let me take a quick look and I ended up ordering one for myself. It should be here in a week or two. Looks very cool guys.
We finally got something cool here in Canada!
Wulfie

foreignerfred

I got it yesterday and read it immediately. It was good, but you need to think of it as sort of a comic book companion to an Indiana Jones Animated Series that doesn't exist (yet). You need to free yourself to the premise.

Imagine if you had just watched Tim Burton's movie for the first time and decided you wanted to get a Batman comic. But instead of buying an issue of "Detective Comics" or "Batman" you bought a copy of "Batman Adventures," the comic based on the Bruce Timm/ Paul Dini animated series. What you'd experience in this hypothetical situation is what you will experience when you pick up "Indiana Jones Adventures."

I won't post spoilers unless you want me to, but you will get most of the beats you expect in an Indy story, and...CHARACTERS. Let's just say that Forrestal and Marcus aren't the only characters who appear from the movie series.

I recommend it for younger and older audiences alike, but you must free yourself to the premise. I'll be there for Volume 2...

"...But you don't have to take MY word for it!"

Junior Jones

I got mine yesterday, too, and I really enjoyed it.

Timeline question for those who have it...
Do you think Winter 1930 means January/February or November/December?

foreignerfred

Junior Jones said:
I got mine yesterday, too, and I really enjoyed it.

Timeline question for those who have it...
Do you think Winter 1930 means January/February or November/December?

There was no mention of Christmas or anything, so I would guess January/ February is your choices were the only options I had.

Dust McAlan

Indiana Jones Adventures, Vol. 1: An Honest Review

One thing that I'd like to point out to begin with, is that Indiana Jones Adventures, Vol. 1 is the first published work of writer Philip Gelatt. He's a lucky bastard, and upon reading the comic, clearly he's a talented one at that.

The story moves at a brisk pace, even for 80 pages: we begin in Sweden, 1930, with Indy on the trail of a Norse treasure, which crosses his path with that of Theresa Lawerence, a British archaeologist who is none too pleased to see Dr. Jones on her site. A little searching reveals their treasure: a golden ring used by an ancient Odin cult, but it turns out that that's not really what the treasure was, and so the hunt begins with Indy and Theresa on the trail of a certain French archaeologist/mercenary.

Without spoiling much, I'll tell you that this is book is just as action-packed as any of the films, and quite honestly the best work of the expanded universe I've read to date. Indy is a little more ruthless in this outing (as we see from his trip to the British Museum), but he's younger, more brash, and willing to get into trouble. He's also confident and cool, and there's one page near the end that perfectly marries the art and the writing to give us a bona fide Indiana Jones moment, one of those where John Williams' theme swells in the background. This is something I wouldn't mind seeing as, say, a serial or an animated ongoing. The art, by Ethen Beavers, is quite good as well, more emotive and detailed than I thought it would be from the previews. What makes the art work so well is that it takes the "animated" route, but you can see traces of Harrison Ford in Indy, you can recognize Marcus Brody, and when Belloq makes his appearance, you know exactly who it is. The detail work on the background and the caves evokes Hellboy, which isn't bad, considering that Hellboy was evocotave of Indiana Jones as well.

My only complaint about the book is that Indy's escape (or, should I say, "release") felt a little too easy, especially considering some of the sticky situations he gets himself into. Granted, there wasn't a lot of room left to play with, but the climax is a bit of a let down in that he just gets to walk away. I can't go any further, but you'll see what I mean. Any my other source of unease, and this is more as a parent than a critic, is that there's a scene which is actually quite graphic for a comic marketed towards kids, but is perfect for the Indiana Jones story. It wasn't grisly, there's no actual blood or gore shown, but it's intense, and you know exactly what the violence entails. For me, I thought it made sense, but as a parent, it made me a little hesitant to show it to my five year old son. But this is a minor quibble, and boils down to what a parent is willing to show their child and what they are not.

That said, Indiana Jones Adventures, Vol. 2 will not be arriving soon enough, especially since it's nowhere in sight yet. Here's hoping that next week's Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods will be of the same quality, and whet our thirsts for more.

Score: 8/10

OhioJones

I got a message from amazon today saying it's delayed:

Philip Gelatt (Author), Rick Lacy (Author) "Indiana Jones
Adventures Volume 1" [Paperback]
Estimated arrival date: 07/21/2008 - 07/23/2008

But you guys got yours?

foreignerfred

OhioJones said:
I got a message from amazon today saying it's delayed:

Philip Gelatt (Author), Rick Lacy (Author) "Indiana Jones
Adventures Volume 1" [Paperback]