Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

AndyLGR

curmudgeon said:
The new ad they released as ticket pre-orders went on sale is really pushing the Vader angle.
The talk all along has been that Vader isn't in this film a lot.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Post-production wrapped this week, November 28. Hope the ending works...
Tony Gilroy, who was brought in to rewrite and help oversee reshoots for the Gareth Edwards-directed Star Wars film, out Dec. 16, will pocket north of $5 million for his efforts, say sources. He first was brought in to help write dialogue and scenes for Rogue’s reshoots and was being paid $200,000 a week, according to several sources. That figure is fairly normal for a top-tier writer on a big-budget studio film. But as the workload (and the reshoots) expanded, so did Gilroy's time and paycheck.

roundshort

saw it at Disney. It is good B+ The story jumps too much at first and too many characters. But quailty stuff. Fan boys will be happy. Lots fo toys to sell

AndyLGR

I had no problem with the start as they focused on different planets pulling together the different threads of the story to get to Jedha. Overall I thought it was very good. Well worth watching.

IndyBuff

Early reviews are very positive and so far people seem to be reacting with great enthusiasm. I'm excited!

Forbidden Eye

Even though there's no opening crawl, John Williams isn't doing the score and the overall premise is pretty much what someone writing fan fiction online would come up with(and without Lucas's involvment) I say this the closest any Star Wars film has gotten since 1983 with capturing the same sense of excitement and quality on the level of original trilogy. I won't go as far and say it deserves a Best Picture nomination or anything, but as a blockbuster it's really fun and will, if nothing else, bring goodwill towards the Star Wars brand which is always a good thing.

AndyLGR

Forbidden Eye said:
Even though there's no opening crawl, John Williams isn't doing the score and the overall premise is pretty much what someone writing fan fiction online would come up with(and without Lucas's involvment) I say this the closest any Star Wars film has gotten since 1983 with capturing the same sense of excitement and quality on the level of original trilogy. I won't go as far and say it deserves a Best Picture nomination or anything, but as a blockbuster it's really fun and will, if nothing else, bring goodwill towards the Star Wars brand which is always a good thing.
Much like nothing will ever touch Raiders, those films are engrained on our minds and are cinema classics, it's going to be nigh on impossible for a sequel or prequel to top them. But I agree it's a good film.

TheFedora

Really enjoyed the film...I think it is certainly better then the Force Awakens, although I am aware of how much that is a matter of opinion. But really, am still in shock and awe.

dr.jones1986

roundshort said:
saw it at Disney. It is good B+ The story jumps too much at first and too many characters. But quailty stuff. Fan boys will be happy. Lots fo toys to sell

That was my assessment as well. I thought it jumped around from planet to planet to much early on, without fully introducing and developing the characters. That being said I loved the movie, though I do prefer "The Force Awakens." It certainly shows a grittier more realistic approach to combat than we have seen in any previous Star Wars film.

Grizzlor

Is this a spoiler thread? I LOVED the film, it was really good, a lot of fun, tons of cool easter eggs and homages. Much better film than TFA!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
This film was the SW film I was looking for all this time- this was the kind of thing I expected from Ep 3 and didn't get. It was also the quality I wanted in TFA but didn't get.

I seriously can't express my love for this film. But I did make a Jyn Erso cosplay so that counts.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Grizzlor said:
Is this a spoiler thread? I LOVED the film, it was really good, a lot of fun, tons of cool easter eggs and homages. Much better film than TFA!

We don't really do spoiler or non-spoiler threads save for new Indy films, but as it just came out, and many haven't seen it yet, discretion is appropriate, whether that's spoiler tags or talking around the subject.

As for me? Best World War II commando film (or homage to/pastiche of same) since <I>Inglourious Basterds</I>.

Paul Pauley

It's a shame Bail Organa was foolish enough to return to Alderaan given his importance to the Rebel Alliance and that he knew the Death Star could destroy a planet and as the home of a known Rebel leader, Alderaan would be an obvious target.

roundshort

SPOLIER for anyone reading this thread but had nto seen the movie.....

The last scene - if Vader knew what was going on (and being a bad ass jedi we have to belive he knew the urgency of the situation) why didn't he just nuke everyone in passage way? Instead of the cutsiey killing them one by one - and giving the rebels enough time to make the most drawn out hand off ever? TO me this is as big of a plot hole as why the little people didnt take they giant eagles to drop off the ring in the hobbit movies....