General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Le Saboteur

Hanselation said:
If you don't like Harrison Ford you shouldn't call yourself a Indiana Jones fan or at least not use this message board. That would be better for everyone. Look other adventure or action movies you would like -Dakota Harris? Welcome to the Jungle? Sahara? Quatermain? National Treasure? Whatever!

But don't waste our and your time. :gun:

The world is an emotional place. If you're looking for viewpoints that merely reaffirm your preconceived notions you're going to miss out on a lot.

Z dweller said:
That?s it. The story is complete. That?s how the creators wanted it to end.
As fans, the least we can do is respect their will.

Bollocks. Ford & The Beards wanted to have their cake and eat it too; otherwise, there's no Side of Beef. An unnecessary period was added when the series (there is no overarching story to conclude) was better served by the ellipses of The Last Crusade. Crystal Skull was supposed to be that bridge picture that everybody is clamoring for now.

Z dweller said:
Disregard Ford?s stated willingness to make another movie, and Spielberg?s musings on the subject: it?s just Hollywood chitchat, instigated by click-baiting hacks.

There are two names to keep in mind during all of this: The Hollywood Reporter & Variety. Did they report on it? Yes? Then it's worth commenting on. If not, then chalk it up to rumor turned all the way to eleven by internet drones under editorial marching orders to keep those clicks up.

Both outlets reported on Ford's BAFTA award - and I believe Variety even mentioned Spielberg's comment -- but Spielberg's effusive praise is hardly noteworthy. They certainly aren't going to grab a bunch of people who don't like him; he's being feted, not roasted. And, of course, Spielberg would like to work with Ford again. I imagine the two would consider each other a friend.

So, disregard? No, but certainly discount it. It's not a newsworthy item. Spielberg's reading the tea leaves like the rest of us. He's not privy to any inside knowledge. A plan has been set, the capital invested, and Indiana Jones continues to not be part of the immediate future.

Z dweller

Le Saboteur said:
Bollocks. Ford & The Beards wanted to have their cake and eat it too; otherwise, there's no Side of Beef. An unnecessary period was added when the series (there is no overarching story to conclude) was better served by the ellipses of The Last Crusade. Crystal Skull was supposed to be that bridge picture that everybody is clamoring for now.
KOTCS is part of the Indiana Jones timeline, whether you like it or not.
And I strongly suspect that your personal views are completely immaterial to Disney.

All I?m saying is: based on the story arc so far, I?d be happier if Disney made Indy 5 a prequel set before 1935 rather than a sequel set after 1957 ? and I bet Lucas would agree.

TheFedora

Another sound bite to take with a grain of salt

Maybe, I ask, she might want Lucasfilm to make something else? Something new?

?I?ve talked about it with everybody at Disney. Alan [Horn, chair of Walt Disney Studios] is very supportive of it. But at the same time, he?s right when he says we?ve got a lot on our plate,? Kennedy says. She takes a breath. ?And then I?ll be working with them on Indiana Jones.?

Probably nothing.

Finn

Staff member
TheFedora said:
Probably nothing.
Nothing new, at least.

As it's been pointed out a number of times, Disney has never been hiding the fact that sooner or later, they intend bring back the man with the hat. They came out with the prospect as soon as they acquired LucasFilm.

When and how are the questions. Right now we don't know if it's going to be another piece starring Ford, a new face donning the fedora, or something in between.

And for what it's worth, as a fan, I personally wouldn't mind the first. I just find the other two options infinite times more likely.

FordFan

Le Saboteur said:
The world is an emotional place. If you're looking for viewpoints that merely reaffirm your preconceived notions you're going to miss out on a lot.

Said the person saying Ford isn't a good actor, not a good action star... on an Indiana Jones board.
ddd25bdcc9b156390f5fdd78d98aec49528bd4996a0d9f71005a3c06d8d8ab93.jpg

Either you're a contrarian or you hate your father.

Le Saboteur

Udvarnoky said:
No such quote is heard at that time...could you correct?

Transcribed:

"I'm planning on doing another Indy. I don't know when it's going to happen, but I really wanna do one. And, uh, I wanna do it with Harrison. And when it can happen it'll happen. You know how these things work out. You gotta have a story, a script; you gotta have the time in your life; you gotta make room for it, and Harrison isn't getting any younger. So the clock is ticking."

It takes up about twenty seconds in the above link from the 9:29 mark to around 9:53.

It's the most definitive declaration of a desire to date, but the takeaway seems to be the same: It's not on Disney-Lucasfilm's immediate agenda. Coupled with Kathleen Kennedy's comments earlier, and it's not even on the back burner. Once the docket has been thinned of Star Wars material, then they'll worry about another outing for Dr. Jones.

IndyForever

Sounded to me like Steven is saying I am ready to go but we still have no story & did not mention Lucas so either he is retired or still the holdup.

Last week Lucas did not sound like someone who is going to be working for Disney again after they dropped his lame Star Wars 7 ideas :eek:

Its a good sign Steven is still enthusiastic to do one more with Harrison. Disney will understand the box office gold that combo will bring to the global box office :whip:

Finn

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
It's the most definitive declaration of a desire to date, but the takeaway seems to be the same: It's not on Disney-Lucasfilm's immediate agenda. Coupled with Kathleen Kennedy's comments earlier, and it's not even on the back burner. Once the docket has been thinned of Star Wars material, then they'll worry about another outing for Dr. Jones.
By the time, it's been another 3-5 years. For those wishing for an immediate announcement following The Force Awakens should understand that things should have been in pre-production already for a while for this to happen. And there's no way such a thing can fly under the radar in this modern information age.

Time is not running in Mr. Ford's favor here, it's something even the ultimate fanboys ought to be aware of. The man even reflects the fact himself, with his "if you live long enough" comment.

Z dweller

It’s time to lay some odds for Indy 5. Here are mine.

• Ford plays older Indy, another actor plays younger Indy for part of the movie: 4/5 (55.5% probability).

• Another actor stars, no Ford: 5/2 (28.5% probability).

• Ford stars, no other actor as younger Indy: 9/1 (10% probability).

• No further movies, Disney opt for a TV show or animated series instead: 16/1 (6% probability).

Faites vos jeux, ladies and gents… ;)

IndyForever

In the Jan 2016 Empire film magazine Harrison is talking about Star Wars but gets asked at the end of the interview about Indy 5:
http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...n-episode-vii.50018763/page-316#post-52903436

Empire:It seems there going ahead with the new Indiana Jones movie...
HF "They are?! Who told you that? Your not keeping up"

Empire: You're saying there not going ahead with Indy 5?
HF: No there is a new Indy movie in preparation. I think Steven (Spielberg) has answered all the questions on that. You should check out his comments."

kevster

IndyForever said:
In the Jan 2016 Empire film magazine Harrison is talking about Star Wars but gets asked at the end of the interview about Indy 5:
http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...n-episode-vii.50018763/page-316#post-52903436

Empire:It seems there going ahead with the new Indiana Jones movie...
HF "They are?! Who told you that? Your not keeping up"

Empire: You're saying there not going ahead with Indy 5?
HF: No there is a new Indy movie in preparation. I think Steven (Spielberg) has answered all the questions on that. You should check out his comments."

Soooo what is he trying to say :confused:

He saids that there is a new movie in preparation, isn't that the same thing as going ahead with the new movie?

Pale Horse

Staff member
kevster said:
Soooo what is he trying to say :confused:

He saids that there is a new movie in preparation, isn't that the same thing as going ahead with the new movie?

"He said??? He???.

Who's he ?

Finn

Staff member
"Preparation" =/= "Pre-production".

The former can mean anything from bouncing around story ideas to having tentative talks. The latter means they'll have a script and the movie's been greenlit.

Nothing new, in other words. We all know by now that Disney intends to give us a new Indy movie sooner or later. We're just still not any wiser whether that will be "sooner" or "later".