Wanted - Artists and Writers for Indi Fan Comic Collective

jasperjones

OK, I'll have a crack when I get a second.

Also, I realize that this is a thread about Indy, but I'm also keen to develop my own characters. I'm a working screenwriter and am looking for talented artists to put some ideas into graphic novel format (or at least storyboard form). Anyone interested?

Lance Quazar

jasperjones said:
OK, I'll have a crack when I get a second.

Also, I realize that this is a thread about Indy, but I'm also keen to develop my own characters. I'm a working screenwriter and am looking for talented artists to put some ideas into graphic novel format (or at least storyboard form). Anyone interested?

What kind of scripts do you write? Your Indy opening would make some good material for this comic project....

jasperjones

Cheers, Lance. I write pretty much anything although mostly action & thrillers lately. Nothing that's been released yet but there's a few things in development so fingers crossed. I've one thing I think Indy fans would respond to if done right. I don't really want to derail this thread so more than happy to discuss in PM with anyone that's interested.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
jasperjones said:
Cheers, Lance. I write pretty much anything although mostly action & thrillers lately. Nothing that's been released yet but there's a few things in development so fingers crossed. I've one thing I think Indy fans would respond to if done right. I don't really want to derail this thread so more than happy to discuss in PM with anyone that's interested.

Just submit what you've got just to get the ball rolling and I'll rough it out.

Here's a previous thread with some sketches.
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=17721

jasperjones

OK, here's what I have so far

If you want me to put in to comic script format it's gonna take me a little time.

The famous PARAMOUNT logo dissolves into A SHARK?S FIN, knifing through swelling turquoise waters of the ocean...

EXT. THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE - DAY

The huge fin cuts through the waves with ease as the GREAT WHITE SHARK
follows a SLICK of BLOOD that must surely lead to its prey. Mirroring the blood in the sky: a pall of thick black smoke.

Blood and smoke trail from a sinking STEAM-BOAT. The large steamer is caught on the REEF, tantalisingly close to land.

The Shark follows the trail, and as it?s muscular tail propels it ever closer through the blood, oil and debris, we notice other FINS. Sharks. Circling. Hunting. Driven to frenzy by the blood in the water.

Blood that leads to the boat. Blood that streaks up the sloping deck to the WHEEL and the man tied to it. An old FEDORA somehow still clinging to his greying head:

INDIANA JONES. Battered. Beaten. But still not out. Yet. He raises his rugged face, steel eyes glaring out from under the brim of the hat at his tormentors.

A fist slams into that face. Indy?s head snaps back, whiplash style. The owner of the fist, draws it back. Thirty years Jones?s junior, dashing, phenomenal shape and immaculately turned out in hunting gear: BUSTER GORDON. As Indy spits blood, Gordon clenches his fist. Winds up another haymaker.

GORDON
Where is it, Jones?

Indy grimaces. Sets his jaw. Meets Gordon?s stare.

INDY
That?s Doctor Jones to you, Gordon--

Gordon clatters Indy?s jaw.

GORDON
I left class a long time ago, Jones. The eye. Where is it?

INDY
(through gritted teeth)
If this is about your failed paper--

Backhands him. Indy shakes his head clear.

INDY (CONT?D)
(wincing)
Too much Michelson?

Left hooks him. Indy's head lolls.

GORDON
The eye.

Indy groans. Lets out a rueful chuckle.

INDY
Maybe you shoulda studied harder. Then you wouldn?t need my help. Which you?re not gonna get.

The boat shudders as the reef tears through the lower decking. Gordon?s henchmen: cut-throats, mercenaries and pirates glance around nervously.

GORDON
I?m running out of patience, Jones.

INDY
No, you?re running out of boat.

Gordon pulls a Smith and Wesson. Cocks the hammer. Presses the barrel against Indy?s head.

GORDON
You?ve got three seconds.

Indy locks eyes with his former pupil.

INDY
Nice knowing you.

GORDON
Three... Two... One...

Finger on the trigger.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Saber79 said:
I really like the sound of this...if only I had the time, i would love to draw this...

Try doing a cover page with all the key element in the script - shark, blood, steamer, reef, Indy in danger..

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
jasperjones said:
If you want me to put in to comic script format it's gonna take me a little time.

The famous PARAMOUNT logo dissolves into A SHARK’S FIN, knifing through swelling turquoise waters of the ocean...

EXT. THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE - DAY

The huge fin cuts through the waves with ease as the GREAT WHITE SHARK
follows a SLICK of BLOOD that must surely lead to its prey. Mirroring the blood in the sky: a pall of thick black smoke.

Blood and smoke trail from a sinking STEAM-BOAT. The large steamer is caught on the REEF, tantalisingly close to land.

The Shark follows the trail, and as it’s muscular tail propels it ever closer through the blood, oil and debris, we notice other FINS. Sharks. Circling. Hunting. Driven to frenzy by the blood in the water.

Blood that leads to the boat. Blood that streaks up the sloping deck to the WHEEL and the man tied to it. An old FEDORA somehow still clinging to his greying head:

INDIANA JONES. Battered. Beaten. But still not out. Yet. He raises his rugged face, steel eyes glaring out from under the brim of the hat at his tormentors.

A fist slams into that face. Indy’s head snaps back, whiplash style. The owner of the fist, draws it back. Thirty years Jones’s junior, dashing, phenomenal shape and immaculately turned out in hunting gear: BUSTER GORDON. As Indy spits blood, Gordon clenches his fist. Winds up another haymaker.

GORDON
Where is it, Jones?

Indy grimaces. Sets his jaw. Meets Gordon’s stare.

INDY
That’s Doctor Jones to you, Gordon--

Gordon clatters Indy’s jaw.

GORDON
I left class a long time ago, Jones. The eye. Where is it?

INDY
(through gritted teeth)
If this is about your failed paper--

Backhands him. Indy shakes his head clear.

INDY (CONT’D)
(wincing)
Too much Michelson?

Left hooks him. Indy's head lolls.

GORDON
The eye.

Indy groans. Lets out a rueful chuckle.

INDY
Maybe you shoulda studied harder. Then you wouldn’t need my help. Which you’re not gonna get.

The boat shudders as the reef tears through the lower decking. Gordon’s henchmen: cut-throats, mercenaries and pirates glance around nervously.

GORDON
I’m running out of patience, Jones.

INDY
No, you’re running out of boat.

Gordon pulls a Smith and Wesson. Cocks the hammer. Presses the barrel against Indy’s head.

GORDON
You’ve got three seconds.

Indy locks eyes with his former pupil.

INDY
Nice knowing you.

GORDON
Three... Two... One...

Finger on the trigger.

Ok, just a few brief comments on translating it for a comic artist but I would prefer you make the adaption as it would be your vision not mine.

The paramount logo dissolve is a cinematic technique that is difficult to transfer to a comic book format. Therefore, it best left alone unless the logo is place on a static object.

Ultimately, the trick with comics it's understanding pacing from page to page so with that in mind I have had a pop at your screenplay and mashed it into a comic format.

PAGE 1: PANEL LAYOUT
5 panels from top to bottom – widescreen

PANEL 1: Empty red sea, red sky with tinted blue clouds with a mid panel horizon. Calm water with what looks like a red (blood) paramount logo reflected on the water.

PANEL 2: Same view except that the water moves and the logo starts to break up with the red spreading.

PANEL 3: Same view except for a shark fin in mid panel. The logo is now streaks of red.

PANEL 4: We pull back a bit and see the full view shark and the trail of red towards the horizon

PANEL 5: Side view of shark turning the right of the page.

PAGE 2 – PANEL LAYOUT – SPLASH PAGE

There a grim sense of death in this splash. Blood and smoke trail from a sinking STEAM-BOAT. The large steamer is caught on the REEF, tantalisingly close to land. The shark is in the foreground (bottom of the page but at the same height from the previous page last panel). The shark is at the back of a trail of sharks that lead and surround the sinking STEAM-BOAT. Various bodies line the water, with some shark activity background.

PAGE 3: PANEL LAYOUT
As page 1

PANEL 1: An establishing view of the steamer from high above, sharks are circling the steamer, various bodies lie dead on the deck on the port side a man, who is obscured (An older INDIANA JONES) is strapped to a steering wheel an other man (GORDON) stands over him

GORDON:
Where is it?​

PANEL 2: View from behind the wheel. The wheel and INDIANA JONES in silhouette. GORDON poised to punch.

PANEL 2: Close up. Gordon punches INDIANA JONES in the face.

GORDON:
Where is it?​

PANEL: 4 Close up of the brim of INDIANA JONES’s fedora.

GORDON:
Where is it, Jones?​

PANEL 5: Close up of INDIANA JONES. Battered. Beaten. But still not out. Yet. He raises his rugged face, steel eyes glaring out from under the brim of the hat at his tormentors.

INDIANA JONES
That’s Doctor Jones to you, Gordon--​

What do you think?

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Violet Indy said:
I am a writer (though I haven't really done much in Indy fan fic, I tend to write my own stuff, mostly screenplays and short stories). I have started a couple of fan fic stories but was never quite satisfied or had enough time to finish any of the fan fic stuff off.

I also can draw a bit and have done some fan art, that I haven't shown on the boards, mostly due to laziness. In fact, one of my fan artwork made it into an exhibition too.

It would be great if you could submit either.:D

HJJNR

JuniorJones said:
The title says it all.

The brief is simple.

Writers - submit a 3-5 page self contained story but written in full script. Post for editorial comments.

Artists - The editor will assign a script for an artist to submit a page breakdown for editoral comment (the editor can provide breakdowns, if needed) and then artist produces the full art.

I will act as editor.

Once we have enough contributions the package will be put together as a cbr/cbz for general release over the web.

Who's in?:whip:

Count me in!! I love a challenge.. hee hee.

HJJNR

I would love to be involved in the art side of things, I have a few examples if you want to see.

truck.jpg

doom.jpg

Crusade.jpg

Skull.jpg

raiders2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Trennas

This looks to be an interesting project to work on! Would be cool if this could actually get published into a collection of comic - and short stories :)

If I can find some time, I'll give it a go as well. Have some Indy fanfic material laying around that I can maybe shrink a bit, though it's hard telling a story in such a small amount of pages. Perhaps a story approach format such as they used for Star Wars Tales would work very well here :)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Trennas said:
This looks to be an interesting project to work on! Would be cool if this could actually get published into a collection of comic - and short stories :)

If I can find some time, I'll give it a go as well. Have some Indy fanfic material laying around that I can maybe shrink a bit, though it's hard telling a story in such a small amount of pages. Perhaps a story approach format such as they used for Star Wars Tales would work very well here :)

I understand that the brief is tight and prehaps a bit unreasonable but I feel this needs to be done so that the commitment from both the artist and writer is managable and can be part of a showcase for their work.

A standard comic of 22 pages is a big commitment for any non-professional artist and I wouldn't want someone to be in the position where as a project can't be finished.

I'm very much for an "Indiana Jones Tales" comic and as suggested before it could be done as cliffhanger episodes.

As the property is Lucasfilm owned, this will be a non profit project so the publishing side of things will be done by releasing it as .cbr comic across the web and hopefully to a good response.

Le Saboteur

I am still...

...of the opinion that a "complete" story is impossible to tell in three to five pages. A complete scene, however, is definitely doable; you could just focus on the opening, or prologue. An action sequence would be doable as well.

Further thought: What about writing/drawing a complete comic in sections? For example, one writer creates the overall framework/story arc, and writes the first couple of pages, then so on and so forth? I thought somebody was already looking to do something similar to this already?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Le Saboteur said:
...of the opinion that a "complete" story is impossible to tell in three to five pages. A complete scene, however, is definitely doable; you could just focus on the opening, or prologue. An action sequence would be doable as well.

It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.

No, wait a minute, it's not impossible to do a good self contained "complete" story, with a start, middle and end in such a short space as I used to read British Comics as a child, and most of they're stories were not much bigger than two meters, I mean 3 pages.

Below is the excellent Dredger from IPC's Action Comics. This is a good template.

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

Le Saboteur said:
...Further thought: What about writing/drawing a complete comic in sections? For example, one writer creates the overall framework/story arc, and writes the first couple of pages, then so on and so forth??

I'd be okay with that as long as each section can standalone.

Le Saboteur said:
I thought somebody was already looking to do something similar to this already?

I know it's not the most original of concepts and I imagine lots of self-published Indy comics have been done and will be done.

Le Saboteur

JuniorJones said:
Below is the excellent Dredger from IPC's Action Comics. This is a good template.

Those were 'effing awful. Great art, but I cringed when reading them. If somebody was actually paid to write that, they should've done the honorable thing, and killed themselves.

Each segment is definitely self-contained, but those are far from complete stories.