100 Greatest Movie Quotes

Luckylighter

Stephen King has become a columnist for "Entertainment Weekly" magazine. Back in June he asked readers to send in their favorite movie quotes for a future column. Since he received such an overwhelming reponse, it became a huge article in this week's issue.

What does this have to do with Indy, you ask? I'll tell you. It seems that a line from "Raiders" was sent in and chosen by Mr. King as one of his favorites:

"It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."

Surprisingly, the most requested quotes came from "The Princess Bride." The number one quote was, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Needless to say, it was a pleasant surprise to see Indy get his due, with a line that really captures the spirit of the films. Look for that issue with Joaquin Phoenix on the cover. (There's a great article on 'The Village' in there)

Pale Horse

Staff member
There are so many good quotes out there. I can't wait to read the article to see what the magazine determines noteworthy about any one particular quote.

Seems "Trust Me" would better capture the character of Indiana Jones.

I am assuming that Stevie explains himself....yes?

Deadlock

If memory serves... King's original article had to do with favorite movie lines that he and his family used in day to day conversation. His one criteria was that couldn't be "punch lines" (his term, not mine) like "Hasta la vista, baby" or "I'm your worst nightmare." The lines were not supposed to be the perfect embodiments of classic films, or even the most famous lines. Just most used in conversation in way that references the film.

Some of mine:
1. "Yeah... that'd be great." -Office Space
2. "Punch it!" - Empire Strikes Back
3. "You're a tomato!" or perhaps with a more phonetic spelling: "Yurra tumayda!" - (delivered in the Mick voice) - Rocky
4. "She's breakin' up, captain!" - Star Trek

00Kevin

Indyfan
1) Yippee-ki-yay, mother****** - Die hard

2) It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. -Blue Brothers

3) everything else from Blues Brothers

Did.. "My name's Bond.. James Bond." or "Shaken, not stirred" make the list?

Joe Brody

This is great. I think King is on to something trying to get a hold of how great movie quotes work their ways into our daily lives. I have to get my hands on a copy of the King article. Here's some of my favorites.

(1) Backpacking with my brother and one of gets hungry (or is pulling food from a pack), we paraphrase this 'Murder By Death' passage:
Perrier: "Buns? You have buns? You bought buns and you didn't tell me? Where are they? Where are the buns?"
Marcel: "Oh! No, monsieur. The BONES in my body."
Perrier: "You should not speak with an accent when you know I am so hungry."

(2) Taunt after I or someone wipes out mountain biking:
Platoon/Sgt. Barnes: "Take the pain! Take it!"

(3) Dealing with a teething or otherwise sick and feverish baby:
'Apocalypse Now'/ Dennis Hopper's 'Zap 'em with the Siren!" line turns into: "Zap 'em with the Tylenol!"

(4) Making Plans with my wife:
Rob Roy: "I did not tell you my mind to have you flail me for it."
(we also jokingly quote the 'do you know how fine you are to me?' line from 'Rob Roy')

(5) . . . or dealing with my wife who's asking me questions on my way out the door:
'Indian Runner'/Frank Roberts (Viggo Mortensen): "Little sister, are you really asking me those questions or are you just stalling me."
(one of many quotes from this movie that work their way into out daily routine)

(6) My wife or I are lost, late or confronted with total chaos:
'Big Lebowski/ Walter Sobcheck: "Nothing's F***ed Dude."
(one of many BL lines that are part of our daily routine)

Redwall

Originally posted by Luckylighter Surprisingly, the most requested quotes came from "The Princess Bride." The number one quote was, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Why is that so suprising?

Deadlock

Re: Re: 100 Greatest Movie Quotes

Redwall said:

I find it surprising, because I'm having a hard time imagining the context that you would use it in.

Here's another one of mine (used when anything goes wrong).

"Game over, man! GAME OVER!" - Aliens

(And depending on the severity of the situation, I may also launch into the all of the other obsceneties surrounding the quote) :)

Joe Brody

Redwall said:
Why is that [the The Princess Bride's" "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya" quote] so suprising?

I think this selection is surprising because the quote doesn't say anything -- it has no function or purpose in conversation. Sure it sounds odd, but there's countless memorable film quotes that are just as odd. Just watch Repo Man. A line like "Let's go do some Crime" or "A repo man spends his life getting into intense situations" at least has some bearing.

Luckylighter

Redwall said:

I mean, when you think of ALL the great quotes from the long history of classic cinema, a movie from the last 15 years having THE most requested quote--compared to "Casablanca", or "Gone with the Wind"--it is surprising. It's surprising that a relatively modern movie--albiet an awesome modern movie--would beat out the lines from older movies that have become ingrained in the minds of generations, not one singluar generation.

matthiassatlure

Speaking of Stephen King..I think he's a fan of Indiana Jones. I mean...is it really a coincedence that he used the words fedora, archaeology, and Steven Spielburg in the same couple of paragraphs? (I don't remember which short story). Good writer...and almost all of the lines in Indiana Jones are good one liners.

Joe Brody

Speaking of 'Blues Brothers' -- it was on AMC tonight. I was able to catch from the Ballroom scene to almost the end. The car crashes in that final chase have got to be some of the best ever. Also, it kills me to watch the crowds running mad away from the Blues-mobile in Dalely Plaza. We'll never see that again. That film got me primed for a six+ hour drive I have Saturday -- great roadtrip film.

I

Indy_Jones88

"What Hump" in The Young Frankentein
"What big knockers" in The Young Frankenstein

(Very Funny Movie)

00Kevin

Indyfan
there are limitless brilliant quotes and one liners from the movies, we might as well name them all while we're at it.....

thought I think that was already done befor....

I dunno, one of my favorite quotes is from 'bill and ted's bogus journey':

(evil robot bill and ted and about to kill good human bill and ted)

Ted: "uhhhh, dudes, even though you're doing this.......we......we....."

Bill: "We love you!"

Ted: "We Love you"

Evil Robot Bill and Ted: *look at each other* *look back* "FAGS!"

I think those 'FAG!' lines from the B+T films are the ones most used by me...it's a sad life

I've recently began work a an Indiana Jones Spoof comic thansk to inspiration of myself and a friend.....it combines Indiana Jones with our 'bill and ted' inspired lives

it's a sad life

BTW Joe, did you see that 'into charactor' on AMC?

Joe Brody

00Kevin said:
BTW Joe, did you see that 'into charactor' on AMC?

No, I bailed after the elevator ride to the tax assessors office. Love the Musac.

If it was on 'Blues Brothers' fill me in on the other thread.

Last edited:

maquino

Immortal "Star Wars" Quotes

From "Star Wars (A New Hope)"
1. "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
2. "Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"
3. "Look at the size of that thing!"
4. "Sorry about the mess..."
5. "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."
6. "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"
7. "You've got something jammed in here real good."
8. "Put that thing away before you get us all killed!"
9. "Luke, at that speed do you think you'll be able to pull out in time?"
10. "Get in there you big furry oaf, I don't care *what* you smell!"

From "The Empire Strikes Back"
1. "And I thought they smelled bad...on the *outside*!"
2. "Possible he came in through the south entrance."
3. "I must've hit it pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh kid?"
4. "Hurry up, golden-rod..."
5. "That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."
6. "But now we must eat. Come, good food, come..."
7. "Control, control! You must learn control!"
8. "There's an awful lot of moisture in here."
9. "Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?"
10. "I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me!"

From "Return of the Jedi"
1. "Rise, my friend."
2. "Open the back door!"
3. "Hey, point that thing somewhere else!"
4. "It's just a dead animal..."
5. "Not bad for a little furball."
6. "How can they be jamming us if they don't know we're coming?"
7. "Come here, I won't hurt you. You want something to eat?"
8. "Keep on that one, I'll take these two"
9. "I want you to take her. I mean it, take her!"
10. "I don't think the Empire had wookies in mind when they designed her, Chewie."