How would Indy do with the 'One Ring'?

Canyon

I have been watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy a lot lately, and came up with an interesting idea for a thread.

How would Indy cope with having the one ring?

Would he become possessed as Smeagol did, or would he somehow manage to overcome this and take the ring to Mount Doom to destroy it?

I thought this would make for a fun topic, and am interested in hearing your thoughts on this. :D

_38921921_lotr_rings300.jpg

The whole idea of The Ring is that it is UNDENIABLE (ignoring the mess that Peter Jackson made of Faramir and a couple of other people) So Indy, like everyone else would be consumed by it, like a Black Sleep Of Kali that never goes away... If it was Raiders or TOD Indy, he probably woulda fallen, even before Boromir.

Especially given that he's just a man, and within the context of Lord Of The Rings, they're the weakest of the 4 'good' races... Even Frodo fails in his quest, and succumbs to The Ring. If Bilbo had have followed through with his desire to kill Gollum when he met him under Hithaeglir (The Misty Mountains) Middle Earth never would have survived The War Of The Ring.

Iarwain Ben-adar (Tom Bombadil) is the only thing seen in Middle Earth that appears unmoved by The One, but he's from outside the whole 'reality' if you will... I seem to recall that the book says more or less, that it has no power over him, but he has no power over it.

Last edited:

Grimdiana Bones

Yes, indy is only a man, and men are easily corruptable. Indy would have known much about the ring, and probably could have been a memeber of the fellowship.

I think I smell crossover fanfic!

INDIANA JONES and the one ring

INDYfatigable

if you think about it Peter was not responsible for screwing Faramir, Tolkien wrote the books, and Faramir was taken in by the ring in them too...

intergamer

Indiana Jones is a movie character, so I think he would hold off just long enough to drop it in the fires of Mount Doom at the last second, just before the ending credits.

IAdventurer01

Indy has friends. They'll just play catch with the Ring until they get to Mount Doom... :p

...or maybe he'll hide it in his magical fedora....

...but in all seriousness, Indy would probably fail without help.

Grimdiana Bones

The ring is much like the many things indy quests for. An ancient magical artifact that holds a lot of power. I'm not saying they should make a movie.... But I think you could write a good story about it. ;)

IAdventurer01

I guess it depends on technology. It might be easier to drop the ring in mount doom by flying overhead in in airplane. :p

Grimdiana Bones

roundshort said:
I would think he wouldn't do that great, wouldn't Indy try to stick in some Muesum?

Untill he relizes how corrupt it is, then he would probably try to destroy it... unless he became corrupted!!! ;)

roundshort

God I really don't understand what people saw in those books, oh well off to wait in line for Harry Potter's new book!