Rest In Peace, [Insert Name Here]

curmudgeon

Duaner said:
I don't want to sound cold-hearted.

You did. Right when he dies isn't the time to go out of your way to say stuff like that.

If you have enough insight to start a statement with that many disclaimers, you should have had enough insight to realize that now is not the time and that you're only being an ass by finishing the thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

roundshort

Duaner said:
Sorry - his music was terrible. I would rather puncture both eardrums than listen to "1999" and need I remind you of "Batdance"? Chills are running up my spine as I type that. And I seem to recall him singing about incest in one of his songs. If that's your thing, you go on and keep listening.

He also wrote about tasty breakfast foods (and that is my thing)

My point is you sound like an idiot when you say his music was terrible. It was not. You can say, "I don't like his music" but to say Prince's music was terrible is juvenile and short sighted. What is wrong with 1999? It is an amazing pop song. Go listen to your Kenny Chesney. Hillbilly

Duaner

roundshort said:
He also wrote about tasty breakfast foods (and that is my thing)

My point is you sound like an idiot when you say his music was terrible. It was not. You can say, "I don't like his music" but to say Prince's music was terrible is juvenile and short sighted. What is wrong with 1999? It is an amazing pop song. Go listen to your Kenny Chesney. Hillbilly

You say anyone who thinks Prince music is terrible is automatically an idiot and must be a Hillbilly?

Who is being "juvenile and short-sighted" here?

Goonie

roundshort said:
...one of pop music's greatest artists. Who wrote, composed, and played every instrument...

This is why I respected him. And Bowie too.

Meanwhile...

KanyeAlive_zpsxyxtv296.jpg

roundshort

Duaner said:
You say anyone who thinks Prince music is terrible is automatically an idiot and must be a Hillbilly?

Who is being "juvenile and short-sighted" here?

I can see reading is new to you so I will slow down a bit. Like when I used to teach, not all kids learn at the same rate.

I have no issue with with anyone not liking anything. That is called an opinion we can all have them and that is fine. But some times people have an opinion which is just wrong. Like "I think the world is flat". "I think KOTCS was a great Indy movie". It is ok to laugh at these people. So when you say, "Prince's music is terrible" you sound like a jack ass. It is fact that Prince flat out rocked. He was one of the world greatest talents. Please enlighten us, the Indy reading public, who does make pleasing music to you? I bet it is Kenny Chesney.

Now, had you had "It is too bad he died so young, but I for one am tone deaf and have no rhythm and think his music was terrible." We would just read and say, hmmm idiot and move on.

Now back to the OP R.I.P. Purple One. I guess the elevator really did break you down!

Duaner

roundshort said:
I can see reading is new to you so I will slow down a bit. Like when I used to teach, not all kids learn at the same rate.

There you go again! You don't like what someone else posted so you go for the low blow and insult their intelligence. I have made no personal attack on you and will not stoop to that level. I don't know anything about you and you know nothing about me.

roundshort said:
But some times people have an opinion which is just wrong.

Apparently this is any time that they go against your own opinions?

roundshort said:
It is fact that Prince flat out rocked. He was one of the world greatest talents.

These are opinions, not facts.

roundshort said:
Please enlighten us, the Indy reading public, who does make pleasing music to you? I bet it is Kenny Chesney.

John Williams

Pale Horse

Staff member
Duaner, you're fighting a losing battle here. It's admirable to take up the fight and you're not wrong to persist, but the facts aren't on your side. They aren't even close.

You don't have to like Prince or acknowledge him, but to dismiss his SUBSTANTIAL influence in musicianship, composition, fashion, business, performance and creativity only reveals your naivety or heaven forbid, ignorance.

John Williams is a one-trick pony. There's nothing wrong with immersing yourself in him, but it's foolish to compare the two. One is a Professional Composer. The other, a Consumate Unparalleled Artist.

Unparalleled.

You don't have to like the art...but don't dismiss it. As Robin Williams would say as Peter Pan: Bad Form.

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
Duaner, you're fighting a losing battle here. It's admirable to take up the fight and you're not wrong to persist, but the facts aren't on your side. They aren't even close.

You don't have to like Prince or acknowledge him, but to dismiss his SUBSTANTIAL influence in musicianship, composition, fashion, business, performance and creativity only reveals your naivety or heaven forbid, ignorance.

John Williams is a one-trick pony. There's nothing wrong with immersing yourself in him, but it's foolish to compare the two. One is a Professional Composer. The other, a Consumate Unparalleled Artist.

Unparalleled.

You don't have to like the art...but don't dismiss it. As Robin Williams would say as Peter Pan: Bad Form.

Boom. Mic drop

Duaner

Pale Horse said:

Unparalleled.

I'm going to consider it a win, because I never resorted to the childish insults which the other half chose to do. I like to keep a debate civil and try to treat the other side with respect. I'm not Donald Trump.

But either way, the past couple days, many people have been talking about Prince's death. Almost all of the conversation has led someone to ask the question "are you going to listen to some of his music tonight?" which has commonly been met with that confused (almost sickened) face and a resounding "NO". So yes, he was obviously iconic enough to warrant a mention in the water cooler conversation, but it seems there is still a large contingent who would rather not listen to the smut. But in roundshort's world that means they are all goat-humping Hillbilly idiots that can't read and must listen to Kenny Chesney. :rolleyes:

John Williams mentioned only because this is an Indiana Jones message board, not a Prince lover board.

Either way, I am going to reiterate what I said in my very first post mentioning Prince. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. It is tragic when someone passes so young.

roundshort

Duaner said:
I'm going to consider it a win, because I never resorted to the childish insults which the other half chose to do. I like to keep a debate civil and try to treat the other side with respect. I'm not Donald Trump.

But either way, the past couple days, many people have been talking about Prince's death. Almost all of the conversation has led someone to ask the question "are you going to listen to some of his music tonight?" which has commonly been met with that confused (almost sickened) face and a resounding "NO". So yes, he was obviously iconic enough to warrant a mention in the water cooler conversation, but it seems there is still a large contingent who would rather not listen to the smut. But in roundshort's world that means they are all goat-humping Hillbilly idiots that can't read and must listen to Kenny Chesney. :rolleyes:

John Williams mentioned only because this is an Indiana Jones message board, not a Prince lover board.

Either way, I am going to reiterate what I said in my very first post mentioning Prince. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. It is tragic when someone passes so young.

Oh yeah. That's win. You and Charlie Sheen.... Winning for sure. Well I will just go back to listening to a little Purple music. By looking at all media I am the only one who is listening to his music. . .

Oops. That was sarcasm if one is too dim to understand it (or to trollish)

Finn

Staff member
Moderator note

Keep your disagreements about the topic at hand, not about each other's personas. We won't lay anybody's handles to rest over minor squabbles, but if things get too out of control, we may have to treat people with some vacation time. Stress can kill, after all.

WilliamBoyd8

Alan Young, RIP

Actor Alan Young, known for his role as Wilbur Post in the television show "Mr. Ed," died on Thursday, May 19. He was 96

He also appeared in the 1960 George Pal film "The Time Machine".

:(

Drones33

I feel the need to watch Time Machine this evening I think,as a mark of respect.
One of my favourite moments in cinema comes towards the end of Time Machine when the time traveller says farewell to his friend Philby, the Alan Young character, for the final time before disappearing into the future to rescue Weena. Its a simple little scene, a handshake between two old friends who both know they`ll never see each other again...

"Goodbye David."

A poigniant little moment. Gets me every time.

Stoo

WilliamBoyd8 said:
Actor Alan Young, known for his role as Wilbur Post in the television show "Mr. Ed," died on Thursday, May 19.
Reruns of the show were fun as kid because I used to also enjoy the "Francis, the Talking Mule" movies.

Eerily enough, on the very day Alan Young died, I was out on our patio and made a snarky quip to my girlfriend while leaning in from an open window. She replied, "OK, Mr. Ed." The next day we read the news. :(
Drones33 said:
I feel the need to watch Time Machine this evening I think,as a mark of respect.
One of my favourite moments in cinema comes towards the end of Time Machine when the time traveller says farewell to his friend Philby, the Alan Young character, for the final time before disappearing into the future to rescue Weena. Its a simple little scene, a handshake between two old friends who both know they`ll never see each other again...

"Goodbye David."

A poigniant little moment. Gets me every time.
Drones, have you ever seen the early '90s documentary "Time Machine - The Journey Back"? It aired on PBS way back but was, thankfully, included on the DVD release. It features a new scene (penned by the same screenwriter as the original) with both Rod Taylor & Alan Young reprising their roles where they meet one more time...and it's just as poignant.

As you know, Rod died last year so that reunion is even more touching now than ever before. A very special piece.

Joe Brody

Ali -- listened to this live on NPR on the way back from a meeting on Friday and knew Crystal killed it. See it catching on -- which is great because it captures Ali's essence and significance.

AndyLGR

doppelganger said:
Sad to hear he's gone. Quite an innings 96. I always think of him as the voice of 7-zarc-7 from battle of the planets.
A classic. Loved that show when I was a kid.