Can't someone just *ask* Lucas?

Adamwankenobi

This may sound stupid, but someone in the press should just ask Lucas to release the original, uncut YIJC on DVD. Or maybe some of us should call Lucasfilm's phone number and ask to speak to the marketing department about it. :whip:(y)

gallandro

Adamwankenobi said:
This may sound stupid, but someone in the press should just ask Lucas to release the original, uncut YIJC on DVD. Or maybe some of us should call Lucasfilm's phone number and ask to speak to the marketing department about it. :whip:(y)

Why on Earth would he do this? By his own admission he's dropped more money on the production of this DVD set than he did the entire production of the series itself. This set is a very niche product, and I highly doubt it will sell very many copies outside of education circles.

Young Indy was a glorious "failure". And I doubt too many people, with the exception of Indy and genre fans have even heard of the series. If Lucas/Paramount is lucky they might sell the odd set or two to the casual passer by who sees the words Indiana Jones, takes a look at the set, and thinks "the kids might like it." Or the occasional channel surfer who happens upon the reruns on the History Channel and likes what he sees.

Yancy

Adamwankenobi

I just think it's a travesty to not have the original episodes available on DVD of one of the greatest television series ever made. :(

Grizzlor

Well, it took a large public outcry and pressure from FOX for Lucas to allow the unedited Star Wars Trilogy to come to DVD. However, that was with no extras and a version taken from a Laser Disc release. Unfortunately his stubbornness has been unfairly directing at his most diehard fans in these instances. Thankfully he can't butcher the Indiana Jones movies.

LawgSkrak

Grizzlor said:
Well, it took a large public outcry and pressure from FOX for Lucas to allow the unedited Star Wars Trilogy to come to DVD. However, that was with no extras and a version taken from a Laser Disc release. Unfortunately his stubbornness has been unfairly directing at his most diehard fans in these instances. Thankfully he can't butcher the Indiana Jones movies.

Sure he can.

Who's to say we won't get the Indiana Jones Special Edition Trilogy someday?
Where they edit out the part where Indy shoots the tug in the streets of Cairo by filming a new scene where, after doing all his fancy swordplay, the thug pulls out a gun and shoots at Indy BEFORE Indy shoots him dead.

And who doesn't want to see CGI Belloq? Come on, it would ROCK!!!!

Adamwankenobi

Grizzlor said:

That release was horribly done. Well, at least he couldn't give us non-anamorphic transfers of the original Young Indy episodes if he ever got around to releasing them...

IrishLuck1980

I just got Volume 1 and man am I pissed. Disc 01 shows how far removed Lucas really is. It goes from the Egypt adventure straight into Indy a few years older and now getting kidnapped and being caught up with the slave trade. I mean seriously, are you kidding me right now? Just release the God damn shows the way we all remember them. I don't need this many extras. I'll take the original shows over these extras any day!!! Times like this I can't wait for Lucas to finally kick the bucket and hope and pray that who ever owns the license next will release everything that has been asked for. Once can hope. My faith in Lucas is GONE. How do you mess up a TV Show DVD release? I mean really?!?!?! I would have no faith in Indy IV if it wasn't for Spielberg.

Wait a sec Irish luck.. its times like this you can't wait for Lucas to Kick the bucket? A little bit extreme perhaps? I mean, you do realise that without Lucas we wouldn't have Young Indy in the first place, the man views the thing as a labour of love, that few loved in its original broadcast version, yet here he is, trying again, spending thousands on a DVD set that few will even buy. I know you and many others consider this a travesty beyond belief, but I mean, in all seriousness, we all knew it was gonna be like this, these versions have been on TV before, in 2001 over here on the BBC, and yes, I understand its rather crassly done, but, how else was he supposed to put it into chonological order? One of the main complaints leveled against young Indy back when it was first released and Cancelled? He bowed to pressure then, reedited the whole series to I imagine, great cost, and now this?
There was a time when I thought I'd never own Young Indy in any form, and now they;re coming to DVD in a package thats being toted by reviewers as one of the best since the advent of the medium, if you really hate the linking material that much, then close your eyes, and imagine George Hall, at least we HAVE the meat of the episodes..

Adamwankenobi

Jeremiah Jones said:
Wait a sec Irish luck.. its times like this you can't wait for Lucas to Kick the bucket? A little bit extreme perhaps? I mean, you do realise that without Lucas we wouldn't have Young Indy in the first place, the man views the thing as a labour of love, that few loved in its original broadcast version, yet here he is, trying again, spending thousands on a DVD set that few will even buy. I know you and many others consider this a travesty beyond belief, but I mean, in all seriousness, we all knew it was gonna be like this, these versions have been on TV before, in 2001 over here on the BBC, and yes, I understand its rather crassly done, but, how else was he supposed to put it into chonological order? One of the main complaints leveled against young Indy back when it was first released and Cancelled? He bowed to pressure then, reedited the whole series to I imagine, great cost, and now this?
There was a time when I thought I'd never own Young Indy in any form, and now they;re coming to DVD in a package thats being toted by reviewers as one of the best since the advent of the medium, if you really hate the linking material that much, then close your eyes, and imagine George Hall, at least we HAVE the meat of the episodes..

Well, you know what he could have done? He could have simply put both versions of the series on the DVDs so as to please both himself, and the fans. It's the same way with Star Wars. When he released that first original trilogy box set, all he had to do was put both versions on the SW DVDs and everyone would be happy.

Major West

Adamwankenobi said:
Well, you know what he could have done? He could have simply put both versions of the series on the DVDs so as to please both himself, and the fans.

Of course he could, but he didn't want to.

Adamwankenobi

Major West said:
Of course he could, but he didn't want to.

Exactly. And that's why he's out of touch with his fanbase.

You don't see Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, or Ridley Scott putting out *only* their preferred versions. Spielberg is putting out all three versions of Close Encounters, Cameron put out both versions of T2 and Aliens, and Scott put out both versions of Alien and ALL FIVE versions of Blade Runner.

Major West

Personally I'm getting a bit tired of this Lucas raped my childhood spiel. Those are major feature films you are talking about, this is a TV show and probably just wouldn't make financial sense to release multiple versions of a TV show. The IJ movies, sure, that would make sense, but this is a TV show that was cancelled after a series. It wasn't much of a hit.

Adamwankenobi

Major West said:
Personally I'm getting a bit tired of this Lucas raped my childhood spiel. Those are major feature films you are talking about, this is a TV show and probably just wouldn't make financial sense to release multiple versions of a TV show. The IJ movies, sure, that would make sense, but this is a TV show that was cancelled after a series. It wasn't much of a hit.

I'm not talking about multiple DVD releases. I'm talking about one DVD release containing both versions of the series. It wouldn't have been too hard. If Lucas can put 94 historical documentaries onto the DVDs, he could have easily put the original episodes of the series on there.

I'm not pulling that "Lucas raped my childhood" crap. I'm saying that Lucas should respect his original works, and respect the show's fans who have waited years for its DVD release. It doesn't matter if the work in question is the original Star Wars film, Young Indy, or even those Droids and Ewoks cartoons he messed around with a few years back. The point is that when you put something out there for the public to view, it becomes what that work is. It's fine if its creator alters it, as they have every right to. But for the work's creator to refuse to release the original, unaltered work alongside the altered work is, as I said before, just pure disrespect for the original work, and the work's fans.

Major West

Well I wasn't a child when this series came out, I was 17. The biggest flaw in it I saw was the old Indy bookends.

Adamwankenobi

Major West said:
Well I wasn't a child when this series came out, I was 17. The biggest flaw in it I saw was the old Indy bookends.

So you must like Lucas' re-edited versions then. That's fine, but don't make fun of those of us who like the original episodes of the series by saying we think Lucas raped our childhoods. (y)