Ideas For New Indy Actor

Mickiana

Shia's involvement with Indiana Jones: one movie too many. Not his fault though. Those responsible haven't helped him to become a competent actor, if indeed he is capable. He was miscast as Indiana Jones' son. That's it for him in the indyverse.

mikieson

Mickiana said:
Shia's involvement with Indiana Jones: one movie too many. Not his fault though. Those responsible haven't helped him to become a competent actor, if indeed he is capable. He was miscast as Indiana Jones' son. That's it for him in the indyverse.
I honestly for the life of me cant find fault with Shias acting? Its not that im a huge fan. I just dont see it. I personally think he does a great job. BUT then again some people think Tom Hanks is the best actor out there...I dont..Heck I dont even like Robert DeNiro outside of "meet the parent" movies..So not everyone sees the same things. I see Shia as just as good as any of the mentioned..

emtiem

mikieson said:
I honestly for the life of me cant find fault with Shias acting? Its not that im a huge fan. I just dont see it. I personally think he does a great job. BUT then again some people think Tom Hanks is the best actor out there...I dont..Heck I dont even like Robert DeNiro outside of "meet the parent" movies..So not everyone sees the same things. I see Shia as just as good as any of the mentioned..

Agreed; he's pretty decent. 'Indy's son' could have been a disaster but I think he makes a decent job of it. He doesn't exactly steal the film, but not everyone's Sean Connery. I don't think he does anything wrong in Skull; if anything he maybe plays too safe.

Montana Smith

emtiem said:
'Indy's son' could have been a disaster

Indy's son was a disaster! :D

Shia is just Shia.

By the same token Harrison is just Harrison. Except he has some charisma. (Unless he's playing himself, in which case he's exceedingly dull and often bordering on catatonic).

Olliana

Montana Smith said:

Shia is just Shia.

By the same token Harrison is just Harrison. Except he has some charisma. (Unless he's playing himself, in which case he's exceedingly dull and often bordering on catatonic).

And people thinking Harrison is just himself in his movies is what makes him such a great actor. Because it is NOT easy to make it look like that.

Montana Smith

Olliana said:
And people thinking Harrison is just himself in his movies is what makes him such a great actor. Because it is NOT easy to make it look like that.

Harrison is a one-trick pony. But it's a very good trick.

mikieson

Montana Smith said:
Harrison is a one-trick pony. But it's a very good trick.
I see a very different HF in all his movies. THe 2 that are similar in ways to me would be Han and Indy..other than that he does pretty good and bringing something new each time. Good actor. Probably one of the all time best actually...and I dont even like all his movies. I just know good talent when I see it. :)

emtiem

Montana Smith said:

No, he wasn't. He didn't ruin the movie because he didn't overshadow the rest of the cast at all: Crystal Skull isn't the one people remember as 'the one with the son', for better or worse. Last Crusade is 'the one with his dad'.

Also, I'd kind of agree Ford is a one trick pony, but then something like Mosquito Coast showed that he has got more than one trick: he just never liked to use it.

Mickiana

CS was like a subset of problems within a larger problem. Shia was one of those subset problems. He's young and undeveloped as an actor. He's too much himself in his roles and he's too popular, probably because of the teenage female fan base. And his role in CS, while not all his fault, was, well, I just can't say anything flattering about it.

Marshall2288

This probably won't win over any popularity votes for me but I think Eric Bana, Clive Owen if he can do an American accent or even Adrian Brody (after seeing that he CAN be cool in Predators) could do a pretty good Indy.

Montana Smith

Marshall2288 said:
This probably won't win over any popularity votes for me but I think Eric Bana, Clive Owen if he can do an American accent or even Adrian Brody (after seeing that he CAN be cool in Predators) could do a pretty good Indy.

Not sure about Adrian Brody. He's a fine and diverse actor, and there's no doubt he could play the role. But he does have a very distinctive appearance, one that might be at odds with expectations after seeing Harrison in the part for so many years.

Clive Owen could be a good choice. He's done plenty of action films, and played the reserved but dependable lead. He could pull off the Indy quirkiness, and also look the part.

But with these actors their age will be dictating the setting of the movie. With Owen a reboot would likely begin in the 1940s. (For Dennis Quaid it would be the 1950s).

If there was ever a reboot, I think a much younger actor would be in the frame, and the series (most probably for television) would start in the 1920s, when the classic movie Indy was just finding his identity.

How about someone who doesnt look anything like Harrison Ford?

You want to reboot, reboot properly, like they do with Bond or Dr Who. Bring something new to the table.

Marshall2288

replican't said:

You want to reboot, reboot properly, like they do with Bond or Dr Who. Bring something new to the table.

Yea I agree that they don't need to look like Harrison. Anyone with a close enough body shape can pull off the Indy shadow and look just like the real deal. I look at the Star Trek reboot. The new characters are similar in looks and style but it's a clean palate. I love Indiana Jones, not Harrison Ford. If an actor can pull off the spirit of him and nore importantly the story is right, I'm game for a reboot.

Montana Smith

replican't said:

Marshall2288 said:
Yea I agree that they don't need to look like Harrison. Anyone with a close enough body shape can pull off the Indy shadow and look just like the real deal. I look at the Star Trek reboot. The new characters are similar in looks and style but it's a clean palate. I love Indiana Jones, not Harrison Ford. If an actor can pull off the spirit of him and nore importantly the story is right, I'm game for a reboot.

Those are very valid points, and the reason why I really don't want to see Indy rebooted.

It's like Rise of the Planet of the Apes isn't a real Planet of the Apes story. More like a story told by somebody who didn't have all the facts. The film stands as a curiosty. Good, but not a part of the classic.

That's how I would see a rebooted Indy. It would be a retelling from a different perspective, but never the genuine article. All these years the mature Indy has been portrayed in artwork, such as book covers and comics, as Harrison (barring the original novel and some dodgy art!)

A reboot would shift him from his present comfortable parallel universe into another one.

All reasons why I'd much prefer an animated series that's able to stay with the Harrison image, and depict adventures from any year in his timeline.

Montana Smith

Archaeos said:
You mean like casting Alan Cumming as the new Indy?

Willie might be wearing the trousers in the Temple of Doom remake.

alan-cumming.jpg

The only Actor i know off that could even torch Harrison is Dennis quaid, but he's 58 now so probably forget that. You cant just change tha actor for Indy Harrison is Indy. It will happen though when the big three die, it will make lots of cash. Harry wont let it happen while he is still breathing.

Toht's Arm

Attila the Professor said:
If Jeremy Renner were a couple years younger, he'd be a potentially compelling choice.

But do we really need another franchise featuring this guy? He's already got the Marvel, Bourne and Mission: Impossible universes to play with...

And to be honest, whilst he was brilliant in The Hurt Locker, I don't think he's really been that impressive in those other films. I just don't see him as the charismatic hero type. He always seems so dour...