The Office (NBC)

kongisking

Now that I think about it, James Woods would totally kick ass. I will always remember him as Hades from Disney's Hercules. :cool:

phantom train

Haven't seen any of The Office S7 yet (waiting for the DVD set later this year), but I've been reading the episode synopses online and it's a shame that Michael Scott finally left the show (though we knew this was going to happen long ago).

Re: who should replace him as office manager, that's a hard call. IMHO, Part of what made Carrell such a success on the show was the fact that he was a relative unknown, and therefore didn't bring any preconceived ideas of how he should act and/or baggage to the show.

So, here's my take on the various rumored 'contendors' for office manager in S8 (I may have missed some):

- Ricky Gervais: Too distracting, since he was the office manager on the original classic BBC show. Don't get me wrong, he would undoubtedly be funny, but we've already seen him as the manager on the previous show and I want to see something different.

- Jim Carrey: Way too big of an actor to be on a show like this, and would also be distracting as a result. Also, though he can be very funny (Liar Liar, Dumb and Dumber, etc.), I'm not sure if his brand of somewhat slap-stick humor is what the show calls for.

- Dwight Schrute (R. Wilson) - Perfect choice. He's already established on the show and has been bucking to be a manager since day 1 (i.e., the running jokes when he makes a big deal of being "assistant regional manager" when he's actually "assistant to the regional manager"). And, like Scott, he thinks he is/can be a great manager when the exact opposite is true :)

- Andy Bernard (Ed Helms) - A good choice, but he probably wouldn't be quite as funny as Dwight in the position.

In any case, I hope the show doesn't last much longer after S8 (unless S8 is much better than I think it will be). With Scott gone, it just won't be the same.

Dr. Gonzo

Oh man last nights episode :gun: Dwight accidentally fired off a gun in the office and made the nard dog deaf in one ear.
Laughed pretty decently just from that deafening BANG.

next week is the hour long season ender... can't wait... who's gonna be the boss??

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
Oh man last nights episode :gun: Dwight accidentally fired off a gun in the office and made the nard dog deaf in one ear.
Laughed pretty decently just from that deafening BANG.

He's never been as Barney Fifey as he was in that scene.

Dr. Gonzo

Gear said:
Haha... I knew Creed would end up being tapped.
Creed is seriously my favorite character. he's usually a one liner guy who doesn't show up as often but man, when he does!(y)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Totally called that subplot 3 weeks ago.
Going 2 for 2 with Ed Helms. See you in September!

Also: Pam manages by proxy all summer.
Meanwhile, Jordan makes her move...

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Moedred said:
Totally called that subplot 3 weeks ago.

Yeah, but they stopped short of it. Not sure what to think of that call.

As for Ed Helms...after the extent to which they lampshaded how he's the safe, bland choice, would they really go with him? I'm an Andy Bernard fan, but he'd just be Michael Scott 2.0.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
office_helms_510.jpg

Andy front, Dwight center.
Full size.

Dr. Gonzo

I have no idea what the writers have planned for next season... but I will say this: I don't believe that the shows balance would be the same if Dwight became the boss (again) so I don't think it's him. :confused:

phantom train

Hilarious picture, and I agree it seems to imply that Andy will be office manager in S8 - however, we'll have to wait and see.

It's hard to believe this show has lasted 7 seasons. It's a great show, but back when it first debuted in 2005 I just saw it as a wannabe re-make of the very well-done BBC show. Howver, IMHO it didn't take long to eclipse the BBC show in terms of quality/humor.

Dr. Gonzo

The more I think about it the more i'd like to see the "Nard dog" become the regional manager. He's somewhat like Michael but way different enough to give it a fresh spin.

phantom train

Looking forward to getting S7 of The Office on DVD later today. I've only seen part of one episode of S7 on TV, since I like to wait for the DVD's of TV series so I can watch them at once. It will be bittersweet since it's Carrell's last season, but based on the reviews I've read it will be funny & worth seeing.

phantom train

"The Office" Season 7 DVD review

This is an edited version of a review I posted on another board recently:

Just finished watching The Office Season 7 on DVD; this was the first time I had seen most of these episodes. Fantastic & truly hilarious, and far superior to the overall average Season 6. And, IMHO, this was definitely hands-down one of the best seasons of the show.

Here are my thoughts/comments:

- The various tricks/pranks that Jim would play on Dwight (before the opening credits) seemed to be very much ramped up in this season, and were in many cases side-splittingly funny - Dwight just never learns!

-It was great how Dwight bought out the building and installed the extremely overpriced coffee bar in the front to generate revenue. I liked how the security guard obviously didn?t want to be there taking money for the coffee, etc., which made the whole thing funnier.

- Kevin, though always funny, was in rare form this season - I liked how the first episode had the sequence with him admitting to doing something new, i.e. lying about everything - hilarious. Also classic was his very inappropriate comment in the breakroom when discussing Angela & her boyfriend, the state senator.

- Going along with the above, the clarification that many in the office would make re: Angela's b-friend being a state senator and not a senator was hilarious, and reminded me somewhat of the whole 'Assistant Regional Manager'/'Assistant to the Regional manager' distinction that was a running joke in the earlier seasons of the show.

- Being a big Will Ferrell fan, I enjoyed his guest appearances as Deangelo Vickers on the show. However, even though Ferrell was good here, IMHO he was still overshadowed by Michael Scott and the rest of the cast in most of his scenes. I also found his behavior much more restrained that in his movies (IMHO, Old School is one of the top 5 comedies of the last 30 years, but that's another thread). That being said, the sequence when he ate the cake with his hands and had to stop himself from then actually putting his face in the cake was great ? the glance that Jim gave Dwight during the scene was perfectly timed, since you knew they were thinking Deangelo was (or would become) another Michael Scott. It was very appropriate that he left the show after doing something extremely stupid (having the basketball stand fall on him)

-Threat Level Midnight was hilarious from start to finish; great cameos (by Jan, Pam?s Mother, etc.), voice-over by Stanley, funny theme song, Jim as Goldenface, the group dance in the bar w/Andy as bartender, the Toby Maneqquin, etc. Classic.

-I always thought the Todd Packer character was funny, so it was good to see an episode devoted to him. That being said, I?m glad he left for the ?Florida job? at the end, since I can see the character could wear out his welcome if featured on the show too much.

-The Dundees episode was hilarious, and when Michael Scott & co. got thrown out of the restaurant this reminded me of a similar scene in one of the earlier seasons (S2?!) where they also got thrown out of a restaurant during the Dundees for being crude/loud.

-The last episode with Michael Scott was bittersweet, and it was nice to see him saying goodbye to everyone (though it was strange how he didn?t tell everyone when his actual last day was ? I guess he thought he may get too emotional at the going-away party). The last scene with Pam hugging him at the airport was touching. It was interesting that Scott didn?t seem to have job lined up in CO, which was actually typical of his behavior (not thinking ahead to the consequences of his actions).

-The garage sale/proposal episode was great, and it was funny how the gullible Dwight was ?tricked? by Jim into buying the ?magic? beans. The last scene when Jim put plants in the place of the beans (in the office park) was amusing. I also liked the sequence when Kevin, Daryl, and Andy played the ?Dallas? board game ? hilarious.

-The one episode where Dwight was ?Acting? boss was fantastic ? all of the strict rules he put in place were very much in character, and I enjoyed the ?James Bond villain? comment that Jim made when he first walked into Dwight?s office with the samurai statue, elaborate desk, etc.

-The very last episode (Search Committee) was one of the best episodes of not only this season, but of the entire series. I especially enjoyed the interviewee Nellie (the British woman), and her constant back-pedaling when confronted; her initial idea that there should be no cubicles in the office & then that the office should be filled with cubicles was hilarious. Her behavior reminded me of David Brent (Ricky G.) in the original BBC version of the show (which I?m sure was intentional) ? I was a huge fan of the BBC show, so really appreciated this ?homage?. Also, James Spader was great as Robert California ? his scene in the coffee bar with Ray Romano was hilarious, i.e. trying to psych Romano out re: the job interview so he could solidify his own position! Also very funny was his later stare-down sequence with Dwight, and then his dismissing Dwight as inconsequential/irrelevant ? great stuff! Prior to this, I?ve only seen Spader in ?80?s teen dramas (Pretty in Pink, New Kids, Tuff Turf) or strange independent films (Secretary), so it was surprising to see that he could do comedy well.

Special Features:

-As with prior DVD sets, the deleted scenes were in many cases as funny (or funnier) than the actual episodes they were taken from.

-It was great to see Threat Level Midnight unedited!

-The ?3rd floor? webisodes were good.

Final thoughts:

I am very much looking forward to S8 of this show. I was initially concerned since I didn?t know how well the show would fare when Michael Scott left; however, the last several episodes of S7 were great even without Carrell, which illustrates that the show has an excellent ensemble cast & as long as the writers, actors, and producers of the show keep putting out a quality product, it should continue. Casting J. Spader as the new office manager was a great move, and I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Dr. Gonzo

Tomorrow Robert California takes over...

Let's see if The Office still has some legs.

NBC has been advertising that not only does the James Spader character become the manager but he takes over the company and becomes the new CEO?!?!

We'll have to wait and see.