Thailand

AlivePoet

Hey all, I'm heading to Bangkok with a couple pals next week to explore Thailand for three weeks. I know some of you have been before, so I wonder if you have any recommendations for must-see things or sound adventuring. We're going to the full moon party on Kho-Samu Island on Jan. 30, but other than that we don't really have a plan. Would love to hear your ideas.

Le Saboteur

Soi Cowboy and Patpong should be not be missed.

An authentic Muay Thai fight is a something to be seen as well.

Pale Horse

Staff member
AlivePoet said:
Hey all, I'm heading to Bangkok with a couple pals next week to explore Thailand for three weeks.

As David Caradine is wont to say, "One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble..."

Bring back pictures

Peru1936

If you like more adventurous outings (and I usually mean mountains when I say that - love me some mountains; not much love here for touristy beaches), I recommend going up north for some time in the highlands.

In Chiang Mai are several districts that house national parks, like Pha Daeng National Park in Chiang Dao. Nam Tok Huai Yang National Park is in Amphur Mae Taeng, also a district of Chiang Mai. Hikes can be turned into treks lasting from three days to as long as you have time. I recommend going through the hill tribe regions to observe an older, more interesting culture. Wiang Papao, Mae Hong Son, and Mae Tong all have trailhead access to hill tribe treks.

Archaeologist

Check out Pai in the northwest region of Thailand for some good elephant riding (without the huge couches strapped to the backs like a lot, if not all, of Chiang Mai places arrange). Also in that region along the Salaween river is a real Karen tribe. Most people know the Karen for their long necks with the rings. Those are not real karen tribes people, but people putting on a show. Think of them as equal to the cowboys & sheriffs in a wild west themed park. In other words caricatures of the way life was for the entertainment of westerners. The real Karen are not allowed Thai citizenship and are on a small piece of land on the Salaween river between Myanmar and Thailand. But your boat (that only sits about 5, including the captain) will be searched by the Myanmar military as well as Thai at the Karen village. They do not take kindly to rude westerners and they do not mess around! Those ak-47s with bayonets will be pointed and ready. If you speak thai, then you should be fine. It was a great ethnoarchaeology project, that's for sure!

But if you would rather party, then yes: Soi Cowboy, Patpong, Koh Samui, Koh Samet, Soi 11 (go to the Cathouse), etc. They are all great. Oh, and Koh means Island, so no need to add it at the end.

Phrase to learn (written phonetically, don't worry about tones): My-Pen-Rye. Think of the translation equal to a "Goodfella" saying "Forget about it!" It can get you out of a lot of bad situations... :hat:

AlivePoet

Back! :hat: A few photos:

4326846372_d34e50fe5a_m.jpg

4326110277_da98ae5339_m.jpg

4326110357_af96d996ff_m.jpg

4326846440_dacf831891_m.jpg

4326110295_57d43bb143_m.jpg

4326110375_a6fea07333_m.jpg

4326846528_eac78ede8d_m.jpg

4326110395_aa654dcc5b_m.jpg

AlivePoet

Thanks guys! It was a blast for sure, although I didn't anticipate the wounds on my legs the morning after I was jumping an inflamed rope while wasted out of my mind.

dr.jones1986, I visited Bangkok, which was fantastic; Krabbi, which is part of the mainland and quite beautiful; and two islands, Koh Phi Phi and Koh Phangan (where I went to the full moon party). All of southern Thailand is quite tropical and warm, although I understand that the northern area is quite mountainous. Definitely recommend the country, as it's cheap and there's eye candy everywhere (and not just in terms of landscape, if you get my drift... ;) ).

dr.jones1986

AlivePoet said:
Thanks guys! It was a blast for sure, although I didn't anticipate the wounds on my legs the morning after I was jumping an inflamed rope while wasted out of my mind.

dr.jones1986, I visited Bangkok, which was fantastic; Krabbi, which is part of the mainland and quite beautiful; and two islands, Koh Phi Phi and Koh Phangan (where I went to the full moon party). All of southern Thailand is quite tropical and warm, although I understand that the northern area is quite mountainous. Definitely recommend the country, as it's cheap and there's eye candy everywhere (and not just in terms of landscape, if you get my drift... ;) ).

I get ya, haha. I hear it is great and cheap, the only thing is living in the US, the flight isnt cheap. I see it says you are living in Seoul, that flight cant be too bad.

AlivePoet

dr.jones1986 said:
I get ya, haha. I hear it is great and cheap, the only thing is living in the US, the flight isnt cheap. I see it says you are living in Seoul, that flight cant be too bad.

Yeah the flight was reasonable, about $600 return. Although I was foolish not to enlist the help of my co-teachers, who said they could have found a flight for half the price by scouring Korean airline tickets online.

I met a couple of American girls who said they flew from NYC for about $1500 return. Not that bad, considering NYC is about as far from Thailand geographically as you can get in the world.

dr.jones1986

AlivePoet said:
Yeah the flight was reasonable, about $600 return. Although I was foolish not to enlist the help of my co-teachers, who said they could have found a flight for half the price by scouring Korean airline tickets online.

I met a couple of American girls who said they flew from NYC for about $1500 return. Not that bad, considering NYC is about as far from Thailand geographically as you can get in the world.

Yea I think Thailand is about as far a flight as you can get from New York, which happens to be where I am from. I have actually found some good deals on tours, it seems more economically sound to do a tour that includes the flight.

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
As David Caradine is wont to say, "One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble..."
David Caradine?!?:confused: Don't you mean Murray Head?

@AlivePoet: How was the elephant ride through the jungle? Shoot any tigers?:D

Peru1936

AlivePoet said:

Do that for sure next time. I have some friends in the airline industry down in Gwanghwamun and they hook me up with stellar deals whenever possible. Last I flew to Canada with the wife though, we went through an online agent and got an excellent deal: $2500 total from Seoul to St. John's return.

Stoo

8 Nights in Bangkok (♪ ♬ Makes a Hard Man Humble ♫ ♬)

Looks like I?ll be in Thailand next month at the Bangkok Marriott Hotel. Woo-Hoo! So excited because I?ve never been to The Orient before. Can?t wait! :D

The plan:
- Go to Cambodia to visit Angkor
- River trip to The Bridge on the River Kwai
- An elephant ride somewhere (anywhere!)
- See the Jade Buddha
- Swim at a nice, clean beach

This is good thread for tips & recommendations but ANY more information/advice is surely welcome.

@AlivePoet: Are you still alive?:confused:

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
Looks like I’ll be in Thailand next month at the Bangkok Marriott Hotel. Woo-Hoo! So excited because I’ve never been to The Orient before. Can’t wait! :D

The plan:
- Go to Cambodia to visit Angkor
- River trip to The Bridge on the River Kwai
- An elephant ride somewhere (anywhere!)
- See the Jade Buddha
- Swim at a nice, clean beach

This is good thread for tips & recommendations but ANY more information/advice is surely welcome.

@AlivePoet: Are you still alive?:confused:

I was there for about 2.5 weeks over the summer. I did a side trip to Cambodia to visit Angkor which was incredible. I went to Kanchanaburi for a visit to the Bridge on the River Kwai, a ride on the death railway and the war cemetery, which you can do as a day trip from Bangkok if you want. I booked a day trip once I was in Bangkok. There are plenty of things to do in Bangkok, including the Jade Buddha at the Royal Palace. I also spent a week in the south at Khao Sok National Park in a rainforest and two different islands. I visited Koh Samui and Koh Tao. I also did a day trip to Ang Thong Marine Park which was beautiful. These islands would require either an overnight train and ferry ride (which I did) or a flight from Bangkok. There are closer beaches to Bangkok that you can take a few hour bus trip to, but I did not visit. I was almost going to stay at the Bangkok Marriott Hotel at the start of the trip but I ended up staying at another Marriott property (Renaissance) because it was closer to Jim Thompson's House. If you have any other questions let me know. What brings you to Bangkok, just pleasure or are you going for business?