The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

OldIndy2323

Hey Stoo,

First, another great job with your bookends! I can't wait for the most important one (in my "Indy's family" obsessed mind): Thanksgiving '93.

Second, I completely agree the eye patch should make a movie appearance. The long forgotten "Sword of Arthur" script had a nice way of revealing the patch and scar at the end of the "movie": the final minutes of the movie are a slow pan into Indy's classroom, with his back to the class /audience as he writes on the board. Turning around reveals his long scar and eye patch. Lucas has mentioned something about "no one wants to see a 'damaged' Indy", but maybe he'll make this essential connection to YIJC, kind of like he slipped in the "Pancho Villa" story in KOTCS

Finally, you have some pretty convincing evidence for Staten Island. I still maintain that the quote, "just across the river" is in reference to where he was living in the present, as it comes after he asks where the boys are from. I agree that the hospital is Indy's local hospital and that the cops are New York cops, but the bowling shirt could just be Mike's favorite shirt from when he lived on Staten Island, nothing suggests he was in the middle of bowling when his trip to the emergency room happened. I think I would need to find an area of Staten Island that resembles the exteriors of Indy's daughter's house to finally convince me; having been on Staten Island frequently and not having come across any area that looks like Indy's street.
What we need to do is get George Lucas or the YIJC writers to tell us where they meant to set Old Indy's life.

Stoo

1) That is the pair that many folks have been very curious to see which is why they've been saved for last. Kind of like the icing on the cake...though they are far from the best bookends. Since they aired near the end of the series (after most viewers stopped watching) very few fans have seen them. November is approaching so sit tight, OldIndy2323!;)

2) Not sure if you're aware but the "Sword of Arthur" script was debunked as a fake. It's fan-faction. (See this thread: The Jeff Boam 1995 script - post #11.) That said, it would awesome to see Harrison with the eye patch & scar!

3) The line, "I'm from just across the river" is really ambiguous. It's hard to tell if Indy means it is where he was born or where he presently lives. Your propostion of Nanuet, NY is not "just across the river" but Staten Island is.

As far as the houses & streets of Staten Island, I'll have to bow to you in that area because you are more familiar with it then I am. The Staten Island theory might not correspond visually with the real-life borough but the location fits geographically.

-"just across the river" (Curse of the Jackal)
-Local hospital (Geman East Africa)
-New York City police at the hospital (Geman East Africa)
-New York State license plates on Indy's car (Princeton 1916 & Northern Italy)
-Mike's bowling shirt (Geman East Africa)
OldIndy2323 said:
I agree that the hospital is Indy's local hospital and that the cops are New York cops, but the bowling shirt could just be Mike's favorite shirt from when he lived on Staten Island, nothing suggests he was in the middle of bowling when his trip to the emergency room happened.
Au contraire, 2323! Mike is at the hospital because his brother-in-law is being treated for a sprained wrist due to a bowling mishap that very night! He must have arrived directly from a local bowling alley. Listen to him complaining to Indy at the very beginning.

Mike: ...sprains his wrist. And on a weeknight! Oh-ho-ho, some brother-in-law I got. So I say to him, "Come on, Mr. P.H.D., let's go bowling. You can show the boys what you're made of." So what happens? He forgets to let go of the ball.
OldIndy2323 said:
What we need to do is get George Lucas or the YIJC writers to tell us where they meant to set Old Indy's life.
Like Kazim said in Last Crusade, "G_d be with you in your quest.";) We know who wrote the episodes but who wrote the bookends?:confused:

OldIndy2323

Stoo,
I'm tipping my fedora to you for your incredibly thorough research. I guess the last two geographic pieces are the location of the local mall and a Hills supermarket to solidify your case. I currently have "top men" scoping the area to find if the exteriors can be matched anywhere on Staten Island; knowing my NY geography and housing style as I do, it's still really hard to fit Old Indy's house and block into anywhere other than Upstate NY. For now, I bow to your expertise.

Stoo

OldIndy2323 said:
...knowing my NY geography and housing style as I do, it's still really hard to fit Old Indy's house and block into anywhere other than Upstate NY. For now, I bow to your expertise.
Having been to NYC & New Jersey several times and upstate NY even more, I can agree with you there, 2323. However, there is a solution to this conflict of evidence:

With the exception of the Halloween and Thanksgiving bookends, I based the title cards on the TV airdates which place Indy at the hospital in April 1992 but the 1st time we see him at home is March 1993.

By combining our 2 theories, we can say that sometime between May '92 and Februray '93, Old Indy sells his house/apartment on Staten Island and moves (with his cat) upstate to live with his family in Nanuet or farther north. (This fits perfectly with the April '93 bookends in the psychiartist's office where Indy talks about his family thinking he can no longer look after himself.) Voilà!

Too bad I can't replace the YouTube uploads with modified title cards because I would change some of them to read Nanuet!:(

OldIndy2323

Stoo,
That's a fantastic idea!! In my completely speculative Old Indy timeline, I have Indy moving in with his daughter at an earlier date, but I'll be happy to combine our two theories and change my dates. And you're right, the move would put the "cat and tree" comment into an even more solid context. A fantstic compromise!

TalonCard

OldIndy2323 said:
Hey Stoo,
I think I would need to find an area of Staten Island that resembles the exteriors of Indy's daughter's house to finally convince me; having been on Staten Island frequently and not having come across any area that looks like Indy's street.

I'd point out that it probably shouldn't be expected that the visual appearance of an area dictates where it is set geographically on a TV show. Two of my favorite shows growing up were Roswell and Smallville, set in New Mexico and Kansas, respectively. Now, I've been to Kansas and I've been to Roswell, and neither of them looked anything like their television show counterparts...because they were filmed in California and Canada. But I wouldn't argue that they're set in California and Canada.

This happens a lot in the Indy films, too. The airport in Last Crusade was filmed in America and looks nothing like it's real-world counterpart.

TC

WilliamBoyd8

One of my favorite television shows was "Route 66"
which ran from 1960 to 1964.

It was about two guys who drove around the United States
taking odd jobs and getting into adventures.

The episodes were filmed on location, so if a story was set in
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, that is where it was filmed.

The first three seasons of the show are out on DVD,
and there are fan clubs which try to match the
early 1960's locations to modern locations.

:)

Stoo

TalonCard said:
I'd point out that it probably shouldn't be expected that the visual appearance of an area dictates where it is set geographically on a TV show. Two of my favorite shows growing up were Roswell and Smallville, set in New Mexico and Kansas, respectively. Now, I've been to Kansas and I've been to Roswell, and neither of them looked anything like television show counterparts...because they were filmed in California and Canada. But I wouldn't argue that they're set in California and Canada.
Must agree with you, Talon Card. Old Indy's neighbourhood may not look like Staten Island but it's the only location that makes sense when all the clues are taken into account.

---
In other news, next week is American Thanksgiving so, as promised, I'll be uploading the Thankgiving bookends in the next few days. It will be the last chapter of the "Old Indiana Jones Chronicles".:(

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Finally! The comic version of these scenes really aren't all that much to go on.

But come on, Stoo. I seem to recall you do have one other audio visual piece that you happen to have up your sleeve..... Still saving that for a rainy day?

Stoo

Violet said:
Finally! The comic version of these scenes really aren't all that much to go on.
That comic issue is something you own that I don't!:mad::D
Violet said:
But come on, Stoo. I seem to recall you do have one other audio visual piece that you happen to have up your sleeve..... Still saving that for a rainy day?
After the Peking bookends are uploaded, the only other Old Indy footage that remains is the missing 10-15 seconds of the opening Austria bookend and the alternate shots from the opening bookend of "Scandal of 1920". (Not sure yet how these items should be presented.)

Otherwise, I'll be moving on to upload all the scenes & shots that were cut out (or digitally modified) from the VHS/DVD re-edits.:D

Stoo

The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 15

This is the LAST CHAPTER of the "The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles". While they may not be the best pair of bookends, they do show Indy's extended family (which is why I saved them for the last. I felt the scenario would be fitting for the last entry). Enjoy them for what they are.:)

My beautiful Canada celebrates Thanksgiving a month earlier than the U.S. but I waited (& promised) to post these in order to correspond with American Thanksgiving...which is TODAY!

These bookends were actually prepared to upload exactly 2 years ago (for Thanksgiving 2009) but were put on the back shelf to save for a rainy day. However, earlier this week, I noticed that 30 seconds of Old Indy narration had slipped by my radar and were missing!:eek: Good thing I double checked! Here they are in full:

The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 15

Montana Smith

Junior Jones said:
Thanks, Stoo!! Now the question is: who are all those people?

Just some people old Indy Indy hires each year to make the neighbours think he's got a family...

Either that or a group of people who latched onto the senile old guy in the hope of benefitting from his will. :gun:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Interesting stuff. It's definitely longer than the few frames of the comic but still the same gist. If I had the whole Young Indy comic collection I'd be happy to upload all the Old Indy pages, but I'm still missing 6,7 and 12 (unless somone here has got those and are willing to post the Old Indy pages?).

Stoo

AnnieJones said:
Thanks a bunch Stoo. Even though it's the last Old Indy video we still, and always will, enjoy them.(y)
You're welcome, Annie.:) Another "poster" was being prepared for this chapter but I couldn't get it finished in time for American Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll finish it off and post it anyways.

As long as I have a YouTube account, the videos will remain on the web (unless they eventually get pulled for copyright reasons but it's been smooth sailing so far). I posted the 1st one back in January 2008 which was almost 4 years ago! Gee, how time flies...

Plus, I'm going to go back and tweak some things on a few of the clips that I wasn't satisfied with and put them all on a compilation DVD. An Indy mini-movie!
InexorableTash said:
Psssst, hey bud: enable for mobile?
Done. Enabled.:)
Junior Jones said:
Thanks, Stoo!! Now the question is: who are all those people?
You're welcome, Phil.:) As for who everyone is, that is a good question...though I do have some theories for a few of them.
Montana Smith said:
Just some people old Indy Indy hires each year to make the neighbours think he's got a family...

Either that or a group of people who latched onto the senile old guy in the hope of benefitting from his will.:gun:
Silly Smiffy.:p
Violet said:
Interesting stuff. It's definitely longer than the few frames of the comic but still the same gist. If I had the whole Young Indy comic collection I'd be happy to upload all the Old Indy pages, but I'm still missing 6,7 and 12 (unless somone here has got those and are willing to post the Old Indy pages?).
That's a very good idea, Violet, because *at least* 2 comic scenarios are different from their TV counterparts and it's a logical direction for this thread to take. Of the issues you're missing, I have #6 & 7 so it would only be a matter of finding someone willing to scan the Old Indy bits from #12. Let's do it!(y)

OldIndy2323

Stoo,
You know I'm gonna have to ask: why Princeton? And while we're on the topic, I'd love to know your theories on who the people around the table are.

Another great gift to all Indy fans...

Stoo said:
Plus, I'm going to go back and tweak some things on a few of the clips that I wasn't satisfied with and put them all on a compilation DVD. An Indy mini-movie!

Curious to know what you want to, (and can/cannot) edit...like subtitles ect.

Maybe you would be interested in giving a copy away on the Indy Cast? Hmm? Maybe?

TalonCard

Thanks again for doing this Stoo; my siblings and I have been following your uploads for years, and it's nice to see the last of them. Is it just wishful thinking on my part, or does one of the people at the table look like he could be an older Mutt?

TC