The Wizard of Oz has a Dark Side

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
There's a thread about that somewhere on this very site.

Looking for sub-texts, even if they weren't intentional (consciously or otherwise) is a great way of deconstructing works, as you peel them away layer by layer. Often it becomes an exercise in expressing opinions using the primary text as examples. Most works can usually be read in different ways, depending on the motivation of the critic.

In the end the argument can be made that the author of the work in question was, at worst, responding sub-consciously to contemporary attitudes. At best, the work can be presented as an intended treatise.

Ah, got that in just before I did.

At any rate...I agree with this. A lot of deconstruction <I>is</i> bull, as far as an accurate representation of the author's intention goes, but then there are implications that must be followed through on and that can lead to very interesting and fruitful analysis.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Ah, got that in just before I did.

At any rate...I agree with this. A lot of deconstruction <I>is</i> bull, as far as an accurate representation of the author's intention goes, but then there are implications that must be followed through on and that can lead to very interesting and fruitful analysis.

That's exactly what I was getting at. Even if it's wrong, it has the potential to uncover interesting ideas.

After I ditched the Marxist approach to texts, I turned to the postmodern approach, and it even works well with the likes of Shakespeare.