Primative Weapons

bgun.jpg

The opening sequence of Raiders has blowgun dart cascading over Indiana as he runs for the floatplane.

How many other adventure movies portray blowguns, atlatl's and such as professional hazards to archaeologists?

Pilot

One movie that comes to mind is "Green Hell." It starred Douglas Fairbanks Jr. as an explorer leading a team of archeologists, etc. into the Amazon basin near Tabatinga to look for Inca gold. They came under fire by Indians armed with bows and blowguns with poisoned darts.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
primitive weapons, second try

"Un indien dans la ville" (bad french adventurous comedy)
The little indian Mimisiku (which means 'cat pee' in his language :rolleyes: ) uses a blowgun to kill flys in order to feed his pet taratula. It's all I can think of right now.

[Edited by vaxer on 02-24-2004 at 02:57 pm]

Heliograph

http://www.primitiveweapons.com/products/bgun.jpg[/img]

I believe there is a Louis L'Amour novel in which treasure hunters and blowguns feature prominently.

Stoo

Pilot said:
One movie that comes to mind is "Green Hell." It starred Douglas Fairbanks Jr. as an explorer leading a team of archeologists, etc. into the Amazon basin near Tabatinga to look for Inca gold. They came under fire by Indians armed with bows and blowguns with poisoned darts.

I can't believe this movie has finally been released! :D A 15 year quest
come to an end...How does it fare? I would love to hear your opinion...

For other adventure movies with blowguns, check out "Aguirre: Wrath of God".
I can't remember if there's any darts but it's still a mesmerizing look at what
a S.American conquistador expedition for El Dorado might have looked like.
(There's a really good French one, too, from late '80s but the title eludes me).

Plus there's John Boorman's, "The Emerald Forest", which may have some.

The priests of the Rami-Tep (sp?) cult in Young Sherlock Holmes use blowguns...

00Kevin

Indyfan
For a Second I tought someone ment Broomhandles as a Primitive weapon

Dart Blowgun in Ace Venture: When Nature Calls :-D

the situation of that was that Ace was trying to find a Sacred Bat (the animal bat...not the primitive weapon) that had been stolen. The Batnappers hit him with 7 or 8 paralysing darts and then sent him on a raft down a waterfall

Ace also used a spitball gun earlier in the movie :D

Flasha_tasha

"Young Sherlock Holmes" 1985
Directed by Barry Levinson executive produced by Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, special effects supervised Denis Muren (STAR WARS, JURASSIC PARK).

The mystery begins when a well dressed gentleman is shot with a blow gun by someone in a cloak and begins to hallucinate. When his table starts to come alive and attack him he rushes home in terror. The furniture in his apartment come to life and attack him and with the panic he manages to set the room ablaze. In his delirious state, he crashes through the window and plunges to the his death. The police dismiss the incident and others like it as suicide or accidents. When Young Sherlock Holmes friend and mentor Professor Waxflatter becomes a victim of the same cloaked assassin he decides to take up the case. Holmes discovers a connection between the deaths and sets out to solve the mystery himself, accompanied, of course, by his companion John Watson who he meets at his boarding school.

Heliograph

Curare has its effects

Flasha_tasha said:
I'm such a pleb sometimes just noticed that 007 already mention this film....whoops!!!

Remember to exhale not inhale those curare treated darts.

Pleb? As in plebian?

Stoo

Thread Bump

Broomhandle Davis said:
How many other adventure movies portray blowguns, atlatl's and such as professional hazards to archaeologists?
"Tarzan and the Slave Girl" (1950) has a lenghty sequence where a group travels through the jungle & across a ravine on fallen tree. The men are repeatedly attacked by natives with blow-guns. (One guy is dressed like Indy minus the leather jacket.) Worth watching for this part alone!:gun:

"The Naked Jungle" (1954) has a couple of blow-guns, too.

WilliamBoyd8

There are actual competitions for primitive weapons:

post_primitivegames.jpg

I was with a hiking group in the park that day and watched some of the participants throwing atlatls.

:)

China Jim

Blow Guns

In the two hour pilot of John Landis movie/ tv series The Lost World while in the amazon Challenger and his team encounter some blow gun weilding natives :gun: and I think they ran into things like that once they got on the enscarpment.