Indy should have had a daughter

sandiegojones

A daughter would have sucked. Who needs another whiney b!tch around in an adventure movie? Especially one with a 65 old lead as the hero.

A son makes far more sense due to Indy's relationship to his own father and it allows him to bond much quicker since Indy has time with Mutt to find the skull and Ox (not to mention that Marion having an overprotective son adds a little comedy). The daughter route would have had to have been more like a young version of Willie - worried about her clothes and hair and yelling a lot (since teen girls in the 50's were spoiled and not adventurous) because if she was too much like Marion it'd be a dead giveaway who the mother was. It also could have been more like an anoying tag along versus a tag team like Indy & Mutt. Plus, once Indy realized he was the father, he would have been more like "you can't date that boy" and nag nag nag, instead of the "you're going back to school" as with Mutt. Add all this with a female villain and Marion's return and it would have been like a PMS nightmare.

Indiana Jones and the Menstrual Cycles from Hell

Montana Smith

A daughter would have been better.

OldIndy.jpg

lara-croft-and-old-indiana-jones.jpg

There are a few other related threads:

Does Indy have a daughter?

Indy has a daughter?

Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood's Daughter

The Daughter of Indy and Willie?????

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
A daughter would have been better.
I emphatically disagree. To repeat part of my post #25 (from 4 years ago): the last thing this world needs is another Lara Croft/Relic Hunter!:sick:(n)

Call me a sexist but I strongly dislike these ideas of a gun-totin', kung fu-kickin' female as Indy's daughter.:sick: If that's what you wanted, you might as well have had a muffin-baking Dr. Jones who uses lemon-scented body cream & glitter-paints his toenails!(n)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
I emphatically disagree. To repeat part of my post #25 (from 4 years ago): the last thing this world needs is another Lara Croft/Relic Hunter!:sick:(n)

Call me a sexist but I strongly dislike these ideas of a gun-totin', kung fu-kickin' female as Indy's daughter.:sick: If that's what you wanted, you might as well have had a muffin-baking Dr. Jones who uses lemon-scented body cream & glitter-paints his toenails!(n)

A daughter wouldn't have been Mutt, and therefore an alternative to Shia, who was born in 1986.

Here's a list of 1,567 women born in 1986, to choose from!

She needn't kick much ass.

She could be the one on the right (after a fling with a Chinese prostitute during his sojourn in Shanghai),

together102.jpeg

or she could Marion's, but just rougher than Mutt,

rockabillyteenagers6.jpg

Randy_Flagg

I agree with the people who said it would have been more interesting for Indy to have a daughter.

But, if they went with the whole "nickname based on a dog" thing for a daughter, does that mean her name would have been Bitc... oh, probably not. Never mind.

Raiders90

A daughter would've made KOTCS much better and more interesting. We've already had the absent father-bitter son angle in so many Spielberg and Lucas films...Having Indy have a rambunctious daughter who gave him a run for his money...Or on the other extreme, a really nerdy bookish daughter who is every bit as stodgy as his father (yet also cute) would've been really cool. The daughter would've also acted as eye candy for the guys of course. Also, it would've kept the balance of Indy/Indy girl without there having to be scenes of an older Indy being romantic. KOTCS felt a bit too much like, to be blunt, a "sausage fest" with Indy and Mutt being the leads. It threw off the dynamic established in the previous three films of Indy playing off a female co-lead.

Drones33

"...absent father-bitter son...in so many Spielberg and Lucas films"
Ok, so there's Vader and Luke, and...Elliot in ET, kind of.... and?

"Sausage fest"? Really??

Raiders90

Drones33 said:
"...absent father-bitter son...in so many Spielberg and Lucas films"
Ok, so there's Vader and Luke, and...Elliot in ET, kind of.... and?

"Sausage fest"? Really??

Luke and Vader
Elliot
Indy and Henry
Indy and Short Round (with Indy acting as a surrogate father of sorts)
Jurassic Park (with Grant coming to accept the role of fatherhood and acting as a fatherly figure/protector to the kids)
The Lost World (Malcolm is portrayed as being absent father to his daughter Kelly and they reconnect over the course of the film)

So perhaps not so much as "absent father-bitter son" as the theme of an absent or neglectful father.

And yeah, it lacked the Indy/Chick dynamic of the previous three films and for most of it and even when Marion is re-introduced she's sort of a background character for the rest of the film. It's just two guys for the most part and with Indy, that doesn't make for an interesting dynamic, especially when the second guy is as weak an actor as Shia was. It worked in LC because well, it was Sean Connery, and you still had interplay between Indy and Elsa.

Drones33

Surely what you refer to as 'sausage fest' is most prevalent in Last Crusade; Indy, Henry, Marcus and Sallah.

Udvarnoky

Raiders112390 said:
KOTCS felt a bit too much like, to be blunt, a "sausage fest" with Indy and Mutt being the leads. It threw off the dynamic established in the previous three films of Indy playing off a female co-lead.

Crystal Skull had both Marion and Spalko, putting it by default ahead of all the other movies where the male/female ratio in the central cast is concerned. Not that it matters.

Kai Hagen

Goodsport said:
Not that I'm complaining, mind you ;) , but do you really think Indy would want his own daughter dressed like that?

After all, it was okay with Indy if some kid named Mutt Williams became a motorcycle mechanic all of his life instead of attending college, but no way will he allow Henry Jones, III to do the same. :D

-G
The daughter could be rebellious to her father. Look at the style of Olivia Newton-John at 0:35.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7oKPYe53h78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>